Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work only sells this food, and we have had many customers with positive feedback about it. Are there any Dobie owners on here the have had successful results with this brand?

Thanks- Kelsey A.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You can read the rating and review in the websites below in my signature. Kumpi is not a food I would feed, because of cornmeal being the first ingredient and the high amount of beet pulp. Kumpi is low protein, average fat and high in carbs. You want high protein, average or medium fat and low carbs for a puppy or any dog for that matter. I would suggest Orijen Large Breed Puppy. It is the best out there and a dense food. You would have to feed a lot of the Kumpi and probably half as much of the Orijen. Innova has a pretty good LBP food that works well for a lot of dobe puppies.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright that's kinda what I was thinking, I was just hopeful to be able to get a bit of a price break! Plus I had just heard so many good things from customers. The ingredients do make me concerned though, and I'm not in the mood to take any chances with my pups health.

Thanks guys!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Taste of the Wild is a fantastic food and is not too expensive. Many dogs do well on it.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Welll...puppies are vulnerable to salmonella, which Diamond, the maker of TOTW, just had a HUGE problem with in TWO of its three plants. They just had a massive recall. Also, read the FDA inspection report in this forum with the dirty equipment and duct taped cardboard paddles to stir food, low quality ingrdients NOT LISTED on any of the kibbles they make! There just seems to be a whole lot wrong going on at the Gaston, SC plant. That plant is always having troubles, imo. At present, I wouldnt feed any of those foods made there if they were free. Now, thats my opinion and everyone else is welcome to have theirs. I swear, not trying to run around picking fights.:)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welll...puppies are vulnerable to salmonella, which Diamond, the maker of TOTW, just had a HUGE problem with in TWO of its three plants. They just had a massive recall. Also, read the FDA inspection report in this forum with the dirty equipment and duct taped cardboard paddles to stir food, low quality ingrdients NOT LISTED on any of the kibbles they make! There just seems to be a whole lot wrong going on at the Gaston, SC plant. That plant is always having troubles, imo. At present, I wouldnt feed any of those foods made there if they were free. Now, thats my opinion and everyone else is welcome to have theirs. I swear, not trying to run around picking fights.:)
lol! I"m just going to stop talking about food for a while!
I don't think you're trying to pick fights, I'd rather be corrected than have wrong information out there. I didn't read about the FDA inspection.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Alright that's kinda what I was thinking, I was just hopeful to be able to get a bit of a price break! Plus I had just heard so many good things from customers. The ingredients do make me concerned though, and I'm not in the mood to take any chances with my pups health.

Thanks guys!
First thing to look for in a food is no Corn, Corn Gluten, Any thing with Corn what ever, also no Wheat or Soy.
If you really want to get very picky. Look for a manufacture that does not source out a third party to make their food. Champion Foods (make Orijen and Acana) does not source out anything. They have their own plant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice about Champion Foods... Where can you purchase those though? I tried to look it up on Petsmart and then in a general local google shopping search and it didn't come back with any results :/ I wanted to see what the prices looked like. I obviously want good food, but I do have to consider how much money I will need to put out monthly.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I feed a food not sold in the major pet stores.

Ther is ONE store in town that sells it (and the other high quality foods) but charges an extra $10-15 a bag, no bueno! I buy my dog food online via PetFlow but there are other dog sites that also sell foods. Usually, for orders over $49 shipping is free.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link wgsdluver! That helped me find a few food brands that I can find at the local pet store. I just don't want to have to deal with having a product shipped to me if I can avoid it.

So now I am looking at either Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Innova Prime grain-free... Any opinions on which is better?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts