Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking with everyone...who uses Kongs and how do you use them? I heard there is peanut butter wrapped up in a wrapper like a slice of cheese that you can buy to put in them...so far I haven't seen that here, but would love to finally get it. I have used Kongs for a long time but always fill them with peanut butter and even bought the kong brand liver stuff to put in there....but I just bought some of those liver snap things(Kong brand) that you stuff inside and just leave the top part sticking out....that was awesome..Sabot has been working on that for about 2 hours now...lol...he has been carrying that Kong around the house all night, lol:lol2:

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I put a few cookies inside & use whatever kind of peanut butter we happen to have in the house. Put the kongs into the dishwasher if they start getting yucky or soak 'em in the sink. We did it more when she was a puppy - especially when we left the house - kept her entertained :) She still gets on every once in a while, but she's on a diet and we are trying not to give too many extras :)

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Mostly I just use kongs as toys, but have put food and peanut butter in them also. They are truly a multi function thingie!

Freezing the peanut butter in them is good too :)

Reactions: Acooper and Jenny

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I never put peanut butter or anything gooey in Mensa's. I don't want to draw ants, which are thick around here, and will swarm anything that even smells like food.

We have the extra-large black one, and if I step on it, it opens enough that I can stick a big Milk Bone inside. That will keep Mensa busy for about a half-hour.

Some folks squirt their's full of Cheez-Whiz.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Reese has 3 Kongs. My husband bought the super jumbo size the day we brought him home. What was he thinking??? I had to run out and get the puppy size and then later the large. I usually put a little kibble, then a treat or two, top that off with peanut butter and stick it in the freezer. He gets it every morning when I go to work. If we don't freeze it the peanut butter is gone before I close the front door. Never thought about Chez Whiz but I bet he would love it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
KONGS! lol we shove any dry treat that will fit securely into kongs...and duchess and coco each have their own regular kong, a box/ball type kong, a kong FRISBEE which is GREAT! but we only bring it out to play frisbee we dont let the frisbees lay around inside the house.
and then the other toys they like are rubber...we have these 3 connect rubber rings, a single rubber ring, rubber "Dice" and ball toys from Planet dog!
I love planet dog! ive given the link before...but it's
www.planetdog.com
and I always give the website cause they have some great rubber or orbee tuff toys...check out the dice! I got mine 2 for the price of one :) there cute haha.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I love the idea of freezing the pb in them - just stuck Chi's in the freezer, she'll have a blast while I'm at the gym tomorrow :)
Generally I will stuff hers with cheeze whiz or whatever else I can cram in there.
I give them to her when I go for my long runs - she gets bent out of shape if I run and don't take her but is much more forgiving if I give her a really great treat, like a stuffed kong, while I'm gone.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm thinking it's a good time to let the folks who are not familiar with the American delicacy called "Cheez Whiz" know what we're talking about.

Cheez Whiz is soft American Cheese in a pressurized can that is dispensed just like canned whipped cream.

Kids love the stuff. Dobermans too.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Your lucky mariposa, I think Jasmine does not like rubber products at all. She has a kong, and even if I stuff it she will try and get the food out for a little bit than lose interest.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I bought the puppy Kong (size Large), and adult Kong (size King). I don't have my puppy yet, but I heard you can freeze them (with water or peanut butter inside) to soothe the mouth while teething. I work at a veterinary hospital so I bought the veterinary Blue Kong for the adult size, which is more durable and also radio-opaque in case on ingestion.

Hopefully he will like these toys!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Your lucky mariposa, I think Jasmine does not like rubber products at all. She has a kong, and even if I stuff it she will try and get the food out for a little bit than lose interest.
This is the same at my house. I tried everything to get interest in the kong. Once the filler is gone, so is the interest. They could care less about rubber. It is all about the squeaker.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
lol its fun watching them get creative trying to get a hard dry treat out...Duchess will squeeze it between her jaws until it cracks the treat....meanwhile she is tilting her head up so that if she does crack it she doesn't have to work as much for some pieces to fall into her mouth lol. if that fails...she knows she can always throw it down the stairs hoping the treat breaks on its way down lol.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I mix up Cherrios and peanut butter and then stuff the Kong with that, and into the freezer it goes, otherwise Java and her long tongue finish it under 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Freezing water inside the puppy size is a great idea. Had one when Java was a pup and wish I'd thought of it - I guess putting ice cubes or crushed ice inside and re-freezing that would work as well. I'd put damp economy faceclothes in the freezer for her to teethe on, which froze quickly and did the trick.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is the same at my house. I tried everything to get interest in the kong. Once the filler is gone, so is the interest. They could care less about rubber. It is all about the squeaker.
luna is the same way. she only cares about the filling and once that's gone, she is done. she prefers her bullystick and her raw marrow bone. :)

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I have not tried this, but a friend uses peanut butter and bananas. Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Duchess is smart to roll the Kong down the stairs to break the treats out!

I just got Mensa the "Extreme" Holey Roller. If I stretch it and squeeze it just right, I can fit in it a large Milk Bone.

She has been working on it for about an hour now.

It should pay for itself by the end of the week!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never used Kongs before, but to that end I have never had a dog including our Dobe which was a real chewer. We have been thinking about getting one when Teak comes in a month. My question if for those who use them with peanut butter and the Kong cheese wiz.

How does it not get in the carpet? I have no problem with the kitchen as it is hardwood and cleans easily. We have an open floor plan so I have no way of blocking off the kitchen. I am just worried about the carpet getting really nasty. I could also get a washable throw rug if she could be trained to only eat gooey treats on the rug. Has anyone had any sucess in training their pup to eat on a specific spot? I know that when the breeder gives Teak a pressed bone she takes it on her bed to chew it. This isn't something she was trained just a habit. The cover to her bed can be washed and once every week or two is fine but I would have to do it every time she got a goo filled Kong or a turkey neck.

Anyway I am just looking for some ideas to keep the nastyness to a minimum. Puppy drool is cool, but the slime from a chewed up turkey neck is not to step on in the middle of the night. :lala:

·
Registered
321 Posts
M&PT - Freeze the peanut butter. They will lick it like a sucker. Reese has never made a mess when it's frozen. If I forget to freeze it then he only gets it in his crate. Even then he hasn't ever really made a mess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts