Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would update you on Kohl and his kidney problems.. Here are the vets notes:

Problem:
Chronic kidney disease

Diagnostic from vet:
Recehed his PCV (packed cell volume )- cost $19.00 lets them know if he is becoming anemic. The kidneys produce a hormone calle deryhyopetin - as the kidneys start to fail they stop producing this hormone. The bone marrow needs this hormone to maintain red blood cell production. Therefore many animals with chronic kidney failure become enemic. the normal PCV for a dog is 37% -55% - last time they tested Kohl we was at 34.3%. If his PCV drops too much below 30 we need to think about Erythropeitin injections ($200/ week).

Treatment plan:
Immediate treatment of the following:
Acute Care Oral Gel for his diarrhea
Basal Gel Capsules

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yes, I think he is around three if I am not mistaken. It's a darn shame. :(

Thanks for the update Oreokitty, we are hoping for the best for you and Kohl.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this OreoKitty. You and Kohl will be in my prayers. I hope for the best.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys.. Sorry work has been crazy...

All in all honestly Kohl seems like his normal bouncy self. If we didn't tell people that he was sick you wouldn't know. He has gained a pound in a month because of his new diet (KD diet). We have another vet appointment early October when our vet is back from vacation. I will post his numbers when we know them. His energy levels are high and we are just going to enjoy and spoil him for as long as he is with us.

Sorry Kohl just turned three in May..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts