Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should post this here or in the Health forum, but since Koa is only 9 months I thought this was appropriate. Please feel free to move.

This morning, my perfect angel pup lifted his leg and peed on my ottoman. I've been trying to wait until he was at least a year old before neutering. He is a rescue so he needs to be neutered, but I've been holding off because I wanted him to develop properly.

I called Texas A&M this morning because they offer the laparoscopic Gastropexy (tacking of the stomach) and can do the neuter at the same time. I lost my beloved Kai to bloat in August 2011 and I think I'd feel better if we tacked Koa's stomach to prevent the torsion.

So...I wanted some opinions. I can delay the neuter surgery, but I really don't want him picking up the bad habit of marking my furniture while we wait. I know that neutering won't stop him from marking, but I don't know what to do! I can't having him marking the furniture. I'm aware that I should be watching him like a hawk and I was watching him when he did it this morning and stopped it almost immediately. This was the first time he's ever done it, but he's marked nearly every tree and bush in the lawn on a daily basis for a few months now.

If it were your dog...what would you do?

Also, has anyone had a gastropexy done? I'm pretty positive that I'm going to do it, but I wanted your thoughts on that as well. Any bad experiences? Honestly, I truly want to do what's best for him. Ruined furniture or not.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We also wanted to wait until 18-24 months to neuter for the development of muscel and bone growth.
We had the tacking done while they were doing surgery on a blocked intestine. I would try and wait and get them both done at the same time.
We were very lucky they did not mark inside. You can get a Belly Band and put a Maxi Pad inside it for inside the house. Make sure you clean the areas with a good enzyme cleaner.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Marking is a training issue not a "balls" issue :) My intact males don't mark. They aren't given the chance.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Marking is a training issue not a "balls" issue :) My intact males don't mark. They aren't given the chance.
Ditto! I have a 4 year old intact male that lived for 3 years with a cycling intact bitch - he has never lifted his leg in the house.

I know that there is a good thread on this somewhere.... but I'm not good at finding them.

Reactions: mmctaq

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ditto! I have a 4 year old intact male that lived for 3 years with a cycling intact bitch - he has never lifted his leg in the house.

I know that there is a good thread on this somewhere.... but I'm not good at finding them.
Here: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/62723-im-going-kill-my-puppy.html... saves me re-typing what I put there. I, too, maintained intact animals of both genders... my male made one single attempt to mark when he was young and thoughtless... my reaction to that left no doubt in his mind that if boydogs know what is good for them, they will only pee on trees LOL!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Marking is a house breaking issue keep him on a long line if he is even thinking about lifting his leg make him think his world will come to a end. One time with my male Bouvier he started to lift his leg on a chair I came around the corner had a towel in my hand. I popped him in the butt with the towel told him off all the way outside he never did it again.You do not have to hurt the dog just make him think you are going to kill him. NILF dog training helps you can google it if you have not done it. It is a good way to show your dog you are the boss with out going over board about it. Good Luck Training.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Can't speak to the marking issue, but we had a gastropexy done on Shanoa when she was spayed. To me, it was worth the extra cost. While it doesn't prevent bloat, it can sure make a potentially lifesaving difference. I would do it again without hesitation.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I totally agree with what others have said. Lifting his leg in the house it strictly a discipline issue. We have never had a problem and have had one or more intact males in the house since 1976.

I also think the gastropexy is a scam preying on the fears of hyper sensitive owners. Most Dobermans will never torsion/bloat, so it is most likely needless surgery. There is some theories that the propensity to torsion may be genetic, but it has not been proven. So if your dog comes from a line where torsion/bloat is more common than usual, then it may be worth considering. With a rescue there is probably no way to know.

No doubt about it, having a dog go through a torsion is a very traumatic experience, but I still maintain that only a small percentage of Dobermans will ever experience it if fed and cared for properly. I guess you have to weigh the expense and trauma to the dog of the surgery vs. the risk. I do find it interesting that some people think it is cruel to crop ears and dock tails, but will put their dog through this kind of major surgery that may be unnecessary.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tacking

My opinion... Take it for what it's worth.
I guess I'm an "hyper sensitive owner" I have had a few great dobes over the years ,I have watched my feeding and water schedule after excerise and all the regular precautions ... I lost my 2.5 year old male right after Xmas of 2011 to bloat it was quick and gut wrenching to see him go through that ... Vet couldn't get him stable enough to make the trip to a bigger city... They finally opened him up and it was too late.
His blood lines had no prior's on bloat .. He was breed by a very reputable breeder here in the Midwest ....
I have spoken with many vets and a few diplomats ( special vets) all say that although unlikley to experience bloat They highly recommend a tack. Some vary on technique and like it has been said it doesn't prevent bloat it prevents torsion!
Remember the number one killer of deep chested dogs is bloat!!
I was lucky enough to find another pup not that long ago. I can guarantee he will be tacked via laparoscopicly in Kansas City when it comes time for his neuter
If its a spay just have it done.. They are already in there ..

I hope no one has to watch their beloved dobe go through the pain and fear of torsion

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow..this was posted some time ago!

Koa had a gastropexy via laparoscopy done in March at the same time as his neuter. I have lost one to torsion, and have a handful of friends who have as well.

Sorry, but I don't think bloat is all that "unlikely."

Reactions: JFennell
1 - 10 of 10 Posts