Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was curious if anyone had a good place online that I could find a great price on buying Knuckle bones (even if it's in bulk). My dogs love to chew on these things. We probably got through at least 6 a month (if not more). With my current vet bills mounting, out of control, I was hoping to try and find anywhere that we can cut back on the monthly budget. I know they love these things so much and I think they are good for their teeth, and stress, so I am hoping to keep them in the budget as best I can.
Currently I get them at petsmart for about $10.99 (if on sale) to $14.99 for a bag of 3. Does anyone know of a good place to get them at a better price or buy in bulk? Does anyone have a suggestion of another type of bone that their dogs love?
:thanx:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I'll see what I can find online, as we usually get ours at a local livestock store.
Mabel gets the smoked lower leg bones with knuckles(she has a picture in a recent thread of mine with it), she had a hip bone once and was in love!, and also knuckle-less leg pieces. She had a kneecap as well once but I didn't like how easily that piece broke into pieces that she tried to eat and same with ribs. I love the farm store as it has lower pricing by far than petco petsmart.
When I get home I'll do some searching for you and maybe myself too ;) and let you know what I find

http://www.coloradopettreats.com/shop/listcats.asp
http://www.coloradopettreats.com/shop/search.asp

http://www.boulderdogfoodcompany.com/All-Products.html

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Do you mean cooked or raw? The grocery stores sell them for less than 99 cents a lb raw in my area. I would be careful giving them cooked, especially if your goal is to avoid more vet bills. They are known for breaking teeth and other issues.

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
+1 for raw from the butcher.

A really nice pet supply place by me sells raw for like $13 for a tiny bag....$13 at the grocerys store will net you 2 grocery bags full of bones...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Publix grocery store has the marrow bones in a pack for just a few dollars.

The knuckle bones I buy at the dog shows 3 for $15.00........watch your dobe when they are chewing them because my female got the bone stuck on her jaw........she came to me with the look of help me.......I couldn't get it off but my husband did........and was she happy!!

She chews her bone in the middle of floor..........for all to see:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. My one issue with the raw bones is that it usually takes them a few days to eat and I dont want stinky raw bones laying all over my living room. Unfortunately, I cant put my bitch out in the yard with one because she can jump the fence and our fence butts up to a busy sidewalk and she isnt particularly thrilled by that.
Usually when I give them raw bones, I stink them in the kitchen, let them chew on them until they seem board, then boil the bones and give them back. at that point, however, they dont really seem to want them anymore. How do you guys get around that?
thanks again!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Usually when I give them raw bones, I stink them in the kitchen, let them chew on them until they seem board, then boil the bones and give them back. at that point, however, they dont really seem to want them anymore. How do you guys get around that?
thanks again!
Not a good idea to cook bones in any way, it makes them far too brittle. Raw bones only.

You just pop them in the refrigerator and give them back to the dogs the next day.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Raw bones are a high enough value item that it's not too hard to teach rules... "I will give you this bone to chew and enjoy, and you will keep it on this towel/tablecloth/blanket I have put here for you or I will take the bone away and put it in the fridge for an hour!" You have to supervise pretty well until the rule is understood, but once dogs get that the bone goes away if it touches the carpet or floor, they generally are pretty cooperative.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I just bought a bag of four raw knuckle bones for $1.99 from the butcher at our grocery store, which I thought was a decent price. Lucy's in heaven eating one right now...

Like others have indicated, I just pop it into the fridge after she's had it for a while and will give her the rest tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,439 Posts
I buy the raw bones at my food store and freeze them. Just pop one out of the freezer and give them to Roxy, They are her special treats.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Why are you boiling these bones? To remove bacteria?
I douse bones in apple cider vinegar, 1st when freshly bought & then after chewing; let them soak, turning sides, then return them to the freezer when they're done soaking after a chew session given they aren't too stripped.

Our girl, who's a SERIOUS CANINE CHAINSAW, doesn't let them last long.
I pay too much for ours, but they're raw, and stay that way. The place I get them cuts them up the way I want(whole ends). It already worries me I'm going to be dealing w/a broken tooth one day, but since they don't get them everyday, but once a week I take the risk....and try to avoid giving on weekends...~8D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts