Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've read a bit about the Kirkland dog food from Costco. Is seems that a lot of members on here are quite happy with the product.
My question is in regards to the puppy line. My doberman is just 5 months and 45lbs.
Since this is not a large breed puppy food, will it cause too rapid growth for him? Should I put him on the adult Kirkland? Or search for an other large breed puppy food.

So far, my dog has been on
1) Nutrience - from the breeder, but I wanted to give him a better quality kibble so i decided on ...
2) Wellness Large Breed Puppy - but it was to rich form him. we stuck it out for almost 3 months but were constantly picking up pudding poops
So recently I switched him to
3) Hills - Veterinary Exclusive - CRAP stuff that I purchased blindly from my vet. I am so repulsed my vet recomends and sells it. I brought it home, finally had some time to look at the ingredients and it's AWFUL. plus it was $85 for a bag! I'm returning it tomorrow!

SO basically....
Should I feed my boy this Kirkland puppy food?

Here is link for the ingredients and all that good stuff
Kirkland Signature Range Super Premium Puppy Chicken, Rice and Vegetable

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
Hoilistic Blend Lamb & Rice adult "all-life stages"
- a Toronto Company (made in Canada)...is my #1 choice...no by-products, no corn, no fillers, no chemicals, etc.
- as good as kibble gets
I looked at a Kirkland label many years ago...not in the same ball park...as H-B.

I never feed puppy food.
- my senior Dobe has an amazing coat, no smell or bed farts (lol) / stools always firm
(and no dandruff or chin pimples)

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
I just looked at the Kirkland link...does look good, I think the Costco brand seems to have come a long way / over the years.

Highlights of Holistic-Blend: http://www.holisticblend.com/en/food-formulas/dog-formulas/holistic-blend/lamb-and-rice/
Free Range New Zealand Lamb (Human Grade/No By-Products or Rendered Meats)
Naturally Preserved (Rosemary)
Holistic & Conventional Vet. Recommended
Chelated minerals, whole grains, fruits, antioxidants and herbs
Promotes healthy skin and coat
Hypo-allergenic
Highly digestible and palatable
Balanced Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids (5-2 ratio)
Ingredients allow for smaller feeding portions

Picture of my dobes coat...on select high-end kibble.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hoilistic Blend Lamb & Rice adult "all-life stages"
- a Toronto Company (made in Canada)...is my #1 choice...no by-products, no corn, no fillers, no chemicals, etc.
- as good as kibble gets
I looked at a Kirkland label many years ago...not in the same ball park...as H-B.

I never feed puppy food.
- my senior Dobe has an amazing coat, no smell or bed farts (lol) / stools always firm
(and no dandruff or chin pimples)
I'm glad this is working for you, but I don't see why you are quite as impressed as you are... I would not say it is as good as kibble gets. I would rather see higher protein and fat for a carnivorous animal, and I would rather not see flax. Enough dogs are allergic to flax that it makes the company's "hypo-allergenic" claim sort of silly.

The Kirkland product is probably one of the best values in kibble. For the money, it is a very good product and the protein and fat levels are more appropriate for puppies/dogs.

That said, I don't feed kibble at all; if I did, I would be feeding better than either of these, provided I could afford it.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Why dont you dmail Kirkland and see what they have to say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts