Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not trying to start a fight, but i was just wondering what you guys thought about "King/Oversized" dobe's? When i was first looking for a dobe, i came across a couple that bred oversized dobe's and they were asking $3000 US. Ive seen a two in person, and they are REALLY impressive. At that time I was so into the HUGE dobe's, but now that i have king i think the breed standard is MORE than perfect for me. Only thing i was thinking was that they may have some serious inbreeding going on since there arent too many around. Anyway, i was just wondering if any of you guys like dane sized dobe's...lol :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've heard of them but have never seen them in person. I think Dobies are fine at the size their standard asks for....

·
Registered
460 Posts
When I was in search of a breeder, I came across an 'over-sized' breeder. The woman claimed that her dogs were much healthier than smaller(standard size) Dobes and didn't bother checking hips because her dog's hips were not as narrow as other Dobermans. Apparently, the larger the hips the less chance for dysplasia. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
:sadcry: There unfortunetely is quite a few oversized dobes around. It is a popular demand so it doesn't need to really be inbred to make them. Lexys's mom is oversize it was what my dad wanted...... :sadcry: Standard for a female is 24 to 26 inches, ideal about 25½ inches which gives them an approximate weight of 45 to 60 or even 65 pounds. Diedama is about 29 inches at 85-90 pounds. Oversize males run over 100. Very much a shame, but once again uneducated....

You look at her and she doesn't even look right. She is very pidgeon toed (toe in) and WIDE. Make her head look too small for her body. People don't realize that while they think her dogs are more imposing and basically cooler looking, they have a shorter life span (bigger the dog, shorter the life span....) and they run the risk for more health problems because of their size, hips, heart , arthritis, etc... I definetely see health issues in Dama's future.

There is a very prominent market out there for oversized, so we will continue to see them as well as whites...
Very sad but what do ya do but try to spread the word about it..... At least she won't be having babies anymore.....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
When I was in search of a breeder, I came across an 'over-sized' breeder. The woman claimed that her dogs were much healthier than smaller(standard size) Dobes and didn't bother checking hips because her dog's hips were not as narrow as other Dobermans. Apparently, the larger the hips the less chance for dysplasia. :rolleyes:
Now there's a winner for ya....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
I have never heard of one or seen one. I would never want an oversized one. I think the size they are now is perfect.

I'm with you!! Some of them look kinda like rott's with short hair!

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Found some good information on this subject over at Leerburg, have a look.

From www.dobe.net/myths.htm,

There is no such thing as a King Doberman. Or a Superior or Excelsior Doberman either. As far as I can determine, these terms refer to nothing more than an oversized Doberman. Dobermans are medium-sized, agile dogs; they must be to perform the job they were bred to do. If you want a 32-inch tall dog, perhaps a larger breed would be more suitable.

From http://www.hundmeister.com/history.htm,

There is no such thing as a ' King Doberman ' That is merely someone who is irresponsible and breeding 2 dogs that are 2 large and continuing to breed only according to size to create a dog that is larger than standard. A Doberman is meant to be a medium sized dog, they are to be agile working dogs, to breed them larger than standard, you lose both agility and function of the dog, as well you increase health problems, hips, knees and joints to start with.

and from http://www.angelfire.com/al3/doberman/myths.html,

MYTH: There is a larger type of doberman called the "Giant", "Warlock", "Kimbertal", or "King" doberman that is superior to normal dobermans. FACT: The name "Kimbertal refers to a specific breeder and is not a type of doberman. The name "Warlock" has been used within a dogs name such as "Kimbertal's Warlock". A puppy from this dog would carry its sire's bloodline, but would not be a new breed called the "Warlock". Dobermans bred to standard are a medium size dog . Breeders who are advertising "King" size dobermans are not breeding true to standard and clearly are not concerned about the livelyhood of the doberman. Dobermans were bred as working dogs and have much agitlity, as you raise the size you lose both the agility and function of the dog. The Doberman standard states "Dogs should be 26 to 28 inches tall, 27 1/2 being ideal-Bitches 24 to 26 inches tall 25 1/2 being ideal".

DA

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gunners grandfather, i hear was HUGE, they said he was just massive. But see his father was the runt(but still BIG), but Gunner wasnt the runt, so idk if itll even out or what

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah I read somewhere and thought it was pretty funny, "Warlock died about the same time Alaska became a state" Not exactly precise, but it is a rip on the people that promote active Warlock bloodlines.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You look at her and she doesn't even look right. She is very pidgeon toed (toe in) and WIDE. Make her head look too small for her body.
I know what you mean. We have a young guy who comes into the vet clinic with his male Dobie and the dog is enormous! He's well over a hundred pounds and when I see him, I can't believe that he belongs to the same breed as my petite girl! His head is so wide and out of proportion to his body and his legs are like tree stumps. He almost reminds me of a Great Dane.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maggie is a large doberman, I think she's called a Junkyard Dobie, she's about 83 pounds!!(Just the right size to be the perfect lap dog:win2k: ) and yes I understand all about how they are only byb bred dogs and stuff, we didn't didn't know that when we got her though, she was given to us by her breeder.

edit: a couple of pics of my big girl for you guys:)

·
Banned
375 Posts
ive seen a few and they cant be good on their hips... but anotehr thing you have to consider is if you buy one you will have those ppl that are stereotypical of different dobes talking crude about your baby even if you love him... and i mean not personally attacking but more like talking crap about overside...

Medically though is what you should look at... the heavier the dog more pressure on their hips and joints... and that means taking a chance of hip and join problems....hmmm dont have one myself but there are a few ppl in here with larger dobes that i know and they may be able to tell you more... hmmm... not much help this time

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know about the health issues, but I guess when I was reading the Myths that were posted, they didn't make me think it was bad. After all, people are always doing things to get new breeds. That is how there is a Toy Poodle & a Bernese Mountain Dog. Even our beloved Doberman came from breeding the German Pinscher with the much larger Rottweiler. Then they add a dash of Greyhound.

While I am very against doing things that is unhealthy, if breeders are doing things correct, larger Dobes should be alright or at least no worse off then a regular Dobe. That is also how the health issues with dogs keep going on & getting worse, by breeding 2 dogs of the same breed. Basically you are inbreeding the dog evertime you mate 2 of the same. If a Dobe & a Lab are bred, then less of the 2 dogs "flaws" are in those pups. Also, the further from a wolf in appearance, the more that was done to create a dog breed.

I'm sure some will pick away at what I have just said. I'm not trying to start a fight. The things is, I have never seen one of these dogs & I have never read anything about them until now. I don't know what health issues they have, if any.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts