Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Completely new to this forum, and after a great deal of time, research and consideration, I have concluded that the Doberman is the best dog for me. Been doing some looking around, and was just curious if anyone is familiar with this breeder. If you are, do you recommend him? Based out of Tujunga in California, here is his website:

King Of Dobermans

He's got a great relationship with a local vet and offers lifetime support (very convenient for me since I live somewhat close to the area he's in) amazing looking dogs, seems to have some celebrity clientele (King Of Dobermans European Dobermans breed show quality Dobermans).

Btw, he is not a breeder of "king" dobermans in case you were wondering...it's just the name of his kennel.

I'm looking for a great guard dog that is excellent with children and family, I'm indifferent as to whether or not the dog comes from a schutzhund background, and if it does, don't mind just as long as it would be a great family dog. Also, this is not as important, but if I have a choice, I would prefer the euro-looking dobermans over the american-bloodline dobes. Nothing wrong with american dobes at all, just a matter preference, that's all. Thank you guys in advance.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Based on their website, this isn't a breeder who would impress me, for several reasons.

First, they have a lot of talk and a lot of pictures, without much actual substantiated information.

What does "Top European Bloodlines" mean, precisely? In whose opinion?

Have they entered into competition with other animals, and won, under judges in different venues? Or is this just their bragging talk?

They mention health testing, but they say "may" also be tested for "Hard Cardio" [sic].

I myself would never give purchase money to any breeder who wasn't trying to make sure every animal in that pedigree had complete cardio testing, and not just a "may have."

In your research on the breed, did you happen across the Guelph cardio study? The one that is showing about 50% of all Dobermans will die of cardiomyopathy?

We really need breeders to step up and lower those stats--stats that represent a lot of heartbreak and a lot of vet bill$.

There's more--on the below linked page, they seem to be bragging about how large this male is, but he's plain unfit and frankly--pig fat. I normally don't get into dissing the dogs, not their fault, so please take this in the spirit intended--which is I'd feel uncomfortable having someone as a mentor and lifetime support...who does not even know how to recognize his animals are at an unhealthy weight.

Fat dog: Los Angeles doberman Dogs & puppies For Sale

There are several links around the forum on what to look for in evaluating a breeding program, what questions to ask, which health clearance documents to look for, etc.

Good luck--because the whole "Euro Bloodlines" thing has become SUCH a greeder marketing gimmick, and the few actually reputable Euro breeders are nearly like needles in a haystack.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT.

This is not a breeder that I would buy a dog from for reasons that were already mentioned.
Good for you for doing your research before getting the puppy though! I'm sure you'll find what your looking for, Cali has some really nice breeders.

I know you said that you don't care if the dog comes from working lines or not but do know that dogs from working lines tend to be more drivey and more to handle, from what I"ve heard. It can make for a difficult time for the unprepared owner.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I got a big kick out of the bragging about the black spots on the paws of some of those adult dogs. This is pretty common in puppies and undesirable in adults. Anyone who doesn't know that doesn't know enough to be breeding.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
"WE REPRESENT THE WORLD'S BEST TOP EUROPEAN BLOODLINES"
Thats as far as you have to read to know this isnt a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders do not make outrageous claims such as this.

If his dogs pedigrees are so great, why arent they on his website?

Reputable breeders also do not call their dogs "kings" and "queens" this is byber wording.

Even if you dont want a show dog or a working dog, breeding dogs with titles proves the dogs ability to do what it was bred for and its temperament. You cant work oversized fat dogs as well as a dog bred to standard which is why there is a breed standard.

Cardio and Thyroid should be at the TOP of his health testing list. Not something he does if he has time/feels like it.

Anyone can import nice looking dogs from Europe and breed them for $$$.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
If you like the Euro dogs check with Adlercrest in Riverside.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
you could also check with any Doberman rescue organizations near you......there might be just the perfect dog waiting there for you and your family.

Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog/pup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for replying...it's important to hear the opinion from other experienced Doberman owners. Any personal recommendations any of you have as to which breeders to go with? Would prefer breeders in California, but don't mind out of state either...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I second that you should look into Adlercrest and contact them about their pedigrees, titles, and which health testings are performed on their dogs. I checked Adlercrest's site and see a noticible difference in King Kennel and Adlercrest. I don't think the King Kennel would be able to provide you this kind of info for their dogs they breed.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The pacific Northwest has a handful of great reputable breeders in Oregon and Washington state. I am not sure about California.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
In California: Adlercrest, Incredible, Soquel, Manorie, Montwood, Von Luka, Vom Landgraf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tony Alves

Here we go again ! Just because some breeder do not show there dogs dose not mean he dosnt have good dogs . In Levons defense he chooses not to show that is his choice. He has beautiful dogs with great temperament. dog shows are great for people that like to do that.Remember just because some judge gives his or hers opinion and a ribbon to a dog dose not mean . That dog is all that and a bag of chips that is there opinion the judge dose not know if that dog is going to drop dead from DCM or bleed out from VWD or go home with woblers or have doberman headshake or any other problems that dog may have , Why is it that most all the people on this forum say that if you dont show you arnt a reputable breeder ? this is not true at all so dont believe it. All of levons dog have come from great champion lines . that were shown and proved ! Just look at them they are beautiful how can anyone say negative things about them . Im sure if there were any problems with health or anything eles they would be addresed in a proper manner. he has been selling dogs for many years and dose very well with it . And there is a reason for that its called integrity so all you european haters . Please stop giving false opinions im really tired of it! I know there are some people out there that dont belong breeding they surface very quick and show there colors people will let you know who they are. with there bad experiences These are the people that should be getting the bad rap Not breeder that are producing such great dobermans. So for all you people looking to buy a great European Doberman i suggest that if you are going to commit go and check out the kennel that you are going to by the dog from and see the sire and the dame watch them check out there temperament and there look. its good to ask about there health testing also . if it pans out you should be ok just remember you can only do so much the rest is up to mother nature .I hope i helped shed some light on this subject this an honest opinion i have nothing to gain or loss i dont know Levon personal but i do know someone that has one of his pups and i know about his dogs . and you cant say enough good things there looks and health . Thank you Tony Alves West coast Doberman .com:roflmao::):):):):nicejob:

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
From another thread. Go ahead and answer the questions, we await your replies.

Ok, then prove them wrong? Rather than just pointing a finger and saying they're big meanies... They specifically stated points of concern based on information provided by YOUR website and fb, so why not refute it if they're coming to the wrong conclusions?

What health testing do you do?
What titles do you pursue with your dogs?
At what age do you start breeding dogs?
What makes your dogs worth breeding?
Where do your dogs come from?
What do you take into consideration when selecting breed pairings?
How often do you produce litters?
Where did you get your dogs?
How often does Kimbertal pop up in your pedigrees? How often do other puppy mills / BYB who have a poor reputation do you work with / breed with / get dogs from / show up in your pedigree?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here we go again ! Just because some breeder do not show there dogs dose not mean he dosnt have good dogs . In Levons defense he chooses not to show that is his choice. He has beautiful dogs with great temperament. dog shows are great for people that like to do that.Remember just because some judge gives his or hers opinion and a ribbon to a dog dose not mean . That dog is all that and a bag of chips that is there opinion the judge dose not know if that dog is going to drop dead from DCM or bleed out from VWD or go home with woblers or have doberman headshake or any other problems that dog may have , Why is it that most all the people on this forum say that if you dont show you arnt a reputable breeder ? this is not true at all so dont believe it. All of levons dog have come from great champion lines . that were shown and proved ! Just look at them they are beautiful how can anyone say negative things about them . Im sure if there were any problems with health or anything eles they would be addresed in a proper manner. he has been selling dogs for many years and dose very well with it . And there is a reason for that its called integrity so all you european haters . Please stop giving false opinions im really tired of it! I know there are some people out there that dont belong breeding they surface very quick and show there colors people will let you know who they are. with there bad experiences These are the people that should be getting the bad rap Not breeder that are producing such great dobermans. So for all you people looking to buy a great European Doberman i suggest that if you are going to commit go and check out the kennel that you are going to by the dog from and see the sire and the dame watch them check out there temperament and there look. its good to ask about there health testing also . if it pans out you should be ok just remember you can only do so much the rest is up to mother nature .I hope i helped shed some light on this subject this an honest opinion i have nothing to gain or loss i dont know Levon personal but i do know someone that has one of his pups and i know about his dogs . and you cant say enough good things there looks and health . Thank you Tony Alves West coast Doberman .com:roflmao::):):):):nicejob:

You kind of shot yourself in the foot there, saying it doesnt matter if the judge says its a great dog they dont know.. And then go on to say this guys dogs are from champion dog lines that show?

Someone asked for opinions on this breeder and thats what they are getting,
These opinions are of people that know what they are talking about. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of corse, but when breeders arent testing their dogs fully its something that needs to be addressed. If there so devoted to the breed,
Why wouldnt they test their dogs for everything they could?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts