Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tom, the more I read about your dog the more I think that he would make a very good protection dog.

One of the more advanced facets of protection training is teaching the dog to ignore loud noises, first simulated by firecrackers and then by firing blanks. The standard to achieve would be a dog who could be put into a stay command while a person stands beside him and fire blanks above his head.

The point of this training is obvious. But, having said that, it is not necessary to put your dog through protection training.

Congratulations, King demonstrates such a strong character, which is very rare.

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
281 Posts
wow whatever it is you are doing ..you are obviously doing it right you seem to be really making a difference with King..sounds like you have a completely new dog lol..give yourself a huge pat on the back and king :D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hey great job Tom!! Glad to hear it!

Lexus sat on the porch beside me, (it was cute she had her butt on one step and her feet down below,) while I passed out candy! I kept a box of dog biscuits out there with me that little kids had a ball feeding and petting her! I was so proud of her, she stayed put and behaved remarkabley! (Okay I think I spelled that wrong, but you get the picture). Of course she always does! Sorry for the highjack, I was just proud!

·
Registered
521 Posts
TomAndKing said:
So, tonight i thought i would take King out with my nephew trick or treating. To my suprise, king did not bark once, he was not scared of the firecrackers, he didnt even pay any attention to anyone. I was very proud of him tonight.

That is all:dancing_b
Thats great News!!! What ever you are doing it's working. Keep up the good work King!!!:cool2:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
King didnt quite understand the concept of my sister leaving the "pack" to go to each house to collect candy with my nephew. He was pretty whiney every time she left, and was VERY excited when they came back. I didnt let any kids approach him to pet him just because i didnt want king to have a set back. He is still pretty standoffish with new people, add to the mix kids in costumes, and he would probably be pretty nervous. But yeah, he paid no attention to anyone else. His attention was on my sister, my nephew and I the whole night.
When we got home king got LOTS of treats and i praised him throughout the whole trick or treating session. Overall im very happy. Obviously i have a lot of work left, but he is well on his way and that makes me happy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tom, just a note.

My older Rottie shows the same exact signs, like he will not understand the concept of someone leaving the pack and then returning a while later.

This, later as I found out, was him wanting to protect the pack, to be with the pack as such. An example, when we were all in the vet's room together, the vet is never allowed to approach us, as such, we had to leave the room and he would be fine. Never quite understood why he is ok when we left the room though.

Just a thought.

Regards,
TH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts