Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boy is 13 weeks old and has started trying to hump somethings around the house. i knew he would start this type of behavior but was expecting him to start doing it in a few more months. woundering if this is a normal age for male dobermans to this type of behavior?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If it is a behavior you do not want tell him no redirect him to doing something else none of my dogs are allowed to hump anything.So they do not nip it in the bud early or if you do not mind him doing it let him. In my opinion has nothing to do with dominance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he was 6 weeks when i got him and i do re-direct him when he does it but he really doesn't really know what he is doing yet, he looks like he is playing with his toys and i can see him trying to hump his toys. its preety funny to watch but i dont encrouage the behavior.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Dogs hump for many reasons, not just to assert dominance. They learn it is fun and it feels good, simple. Many do it when they get excited and as a form of play. My dog has certain playmate dogs that they take turns in humping each other in the middle of play, both friendly, get along, very submissive dogs. It's just play to them. They usually don't even do it right. Other dogs don't take kindly to it and tell them pretty much off the bat. No problem, they don't do it anymore. Now, humping me or my kids NO WAY. I don't take kindly to it, so again, he doesn't do it to me. He'll learn what is acceptable to you and what is not. Redirect him if you don't want him doing it to his toys. (You do have to consider having visitors at the house every now and then. Do you want them watching that?) Teach it is a no people thing to do by withholding attention and removing yourself from him. Notice I said removing yourself. If you use your hands and remove him from you, you are providing positive reinforcement to the behavior by touching him. As far as dogs go, with supervision to make sure things don't escalate, let the dogs work it out.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
One reason I do not allow it is a person that is a professional Pet sitter lives near by had a male Labrador Retriever who humped Buddy as a pup Buddy is my Doberman male. I asked her to make her dog stop she said that is something dogs will do.I agree but Buddy is going to be 5 years old end of April if I had allowed them to keep seeing each other there would have been a huge fight. Buddy is not allow around male dogs just to keep the peace.

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Its cute watching him hump toys for now, it will be you in a few months ;)
I too, do not allow my dog to hump anything, not even the air.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
he was 6 weeks when i got him and i do re-direct him when he does it but he really doesn't really know what he is doing yet, he looks like he is playing with his toys and i can see him trying to hump his toys. its preety funny to watch but i dont encrouage the behavior.
He was too young to leave his littermates. They would have corrected each other for this type of dominance display.

It's not funny at all because it could lead to some real behavior problems with other dogs.

I'm sure there are some links on here for help with pups that are homed too soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would continue redirecting him when he does this. It's not worth the risk of having him out and trying to hump another dog, god forbid a dog attacks him for it. It could cause fear aggression. There are many threads on here from owners who have had puppies/dogs attacked and completely changed their dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts