1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,
I have made a post previously, but never introduced myself, So im kinda new :D

My name is CJ

This is Camilla, my dobbie, we are from Gauteng South Africa.

She is +- 2 years old.
She is Daddy's most beautiful girl in the world.
She only eats meat (pet mince), she sleeps inside on her very own bed, She hates the rain as she cannot play outside. And she LOVES toys and back/head scratchies.

Just a little more info, I have had many dogs in my life. I don't know if this is the norm in other countries as well, But here in SA its normal for dogs to sleep outside. As such all my dogs I have ever owned have slept outside. (they have a wendy + washing room, so they are protected from weather).

One day I decided I want a small dog inside the house. At the time I had a chow which lived outside. So I got a little black and tan miniature dachshund. I don't know if anyone is familiar with them, but o my its such a little cutie pie. He slept inside from day one, and to make it worse, I allowed him to sleep on my bed. If you see his sad little eyes everyone would understand. Fast forward a year later and I decided I want a big dog for protection as the chow was gettig old. I did a lot of research and after reading many many pages and forums, I decided to get a doberman. Then the Chow will have a companion as well. I had zero real life expereince with a dobeman...
When I got the baby doberman,she looked like a retarded dachshund with long legs (Just joking..lol), but she was so cute. So without saying she was way too cute to sleep outside, So I decided she can sleep with me until she is a little older. Well she slept in my bed until she was +- 1 year old. It took a VERY ANGRY fiance to convince me she cannot sleep in our bed as she sheds hair and both of us are kinda allergic. And its or the dobbie or her..... So she (the dobbie) got her own bed inside. It's a year later and she still struggles to understand why she cannot sleep on my bed anymore. Especially when she sees the dachshund on the bed. But they are best of friends today, and of course she is a house dog.

I was not ready for a doberman. I was expecting a dog and I got a little baby. I cannot begin to explain how much I love her. She is such a good girl. I have heard when I go to work during the day she cries like a real baby. I think its time I get her a companion. Sure she is friends with the dachund. But playtime is very limited due to the size diffrence and it only takes a few minutes before the dachund hides under a table...

Attachments

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,722 Posts
Camila, welcome to DT from SA (San Antonio) Texas! I didn't respond in your first thread about the loss of your chow. So sorry for your loss.
Your Dobergal is beautiful, but you forgot to mention her name? Are there many Dobes in SA?
Also, we'd love to see some pics of your wiener dog, too!
Most of the experts would need to see the pedigree of the Dobe to make the determination of Euro vs. American

We currently have a lap dog mutt that sleeps on our bed and a 9 mo old Dobe male puppy that is crated for the night. However I allow him in daytime only to take naps with me. Just remember, once a Dobe gets a taste of the big bed, he/she will always want to go up there! Our last two Dobes were crated at night up until their twilight years when we allowed sleeping in bedroom with us, until their demise.

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
South Africa has had some very good breeders of Dobermans for years--most of their background breeding has been European rather than North American but you'd really have to see a pedigree to be sure. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between Euro and North or South American dogs when you come right down to it.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,595 Posts
Pretty girl, I'm glad you posted pictures.

Is she a ball dog? I had one that always had a ball in his mouth if he could find one. Then he would hang onto that ball all day--and you couldn't switch balls on him; it had to be that one. If another dog got it, he would follow that dog around until she dropped it.

After a bit of time, I found out that you shouldn't use tennis balls with your dog. They pick up dirt and grit, and eventually wear the dog's teeth down--Tennis Ball Mouth
Canine Dental Problems: How to Prevent Onset (dog-care-knowledge.com)

Trying to switch him to another kind of ball didn't work very well, though, so we only allowed the balls when we were ready to play fetch with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Camila, welcome to DT from SA (San Antonio) Texas! I didn't respond in your first thread about the loss of your chow. So sorry for your loss.
Your Dobergal is beautiful, but you forgot to mention her name? Are there many Dobes in SA?
Also, we'd love to see some pics of your wiener dog, too!
Most of the experts would need to see the pedigree of the Dobe to make the determination of Euro vs. American

We currently have a lap dog mutt that sleeps on our bed and a 9 mo old Dobe male puppy that is crated for the night. However I allow him in daytime only to take naps with me. Just remember, once a Dobe gets a taste of the big bed, he/she will always want to go up there! Our last two Dobes were crated at night up until their twilight years when we allowed sleeping in bedroom with us, until their demise.
Hi,
Sorry for only replying now, busy weekend :)

Sorry my name is CJ, her name is Camilla.
I would say there is an average amount of dobes in SA. But breeds like Staffies, Rotties, German Sheppard's & Boerbul's are much more commen.
I will post some pics of the wiener. He looks like a Mini Dobie :p
My Fiance which will be moving in with me later this year has a Rottie, German Sheppard and Labradour. Camila gets along with the German Sheppard and Labradour. But the Rottie not as much. The Wiener on the otherhand want to rip all 3 of them apart :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pretty girl, I'm glad you posted pictures.

Is she a ball dog? I had one that always had a ball in his mouth if he could find one. Then he would hang onto that ball all day--and you couldn't switch balls on him; it had to be that one. If another dog got it, he would follow that dog around until she dropped it.

After a bit of time, I found out that you shouldn't use tennis balls with your dog. They pick up dirt and grit, and eventually wear the dog's teeth down--Tennis Ball Mouth
Canine Dental Problems: How to Prevent Onset (dog-care-knowledge.com)

Trying to switch him to another kind of ball didn't work very well, though, so we only allowed the balls when we were ready to play fetch with him.
Wont say she is a ball dog per se, She is a toy dog lol, She has soooooo many toys. Much more toys than I ever had. So whatever is available will be in her mouth. She loves bringing me toys and then I have to throw them for her (Fetch inside the house). Unless I stand up, then she will continuously come and show me her toys, but I'm not allowed to touch them then...such a silly dog. She also loves talking and she gets upset if I don't want to play

When we play outside she likes fetch, but her favorite is pulling ropes. She will bring me anything and then I have to pull.....Her energy simply never stops and there is nothing she enjoys more.

At nights if she wants to go out she will start flapping her ears, and she will flap them until I open.

She has all sorts of balls, tennis balls, rubber balls, cricket balls etc, but I will take away the tennis balls, Never knew about tennis ball mouth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts