Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed in another post something about Kimbertal being bad. Are they? Whats wrong with them?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
There alot like Hoytt no health testing and they always have pups for sale its about the profit I could be wrong but I think most of there dogs are oversized to

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
well, where is their health testing, titling? where is proof of sound temperaments, proper structure?

and what would EVER justify producing as many dogs as they do?

jenn, what makes you think when you look at the site that they are a good breeder? im just curious, how people approac this.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never seen their site. I am just looking it up now. Thats why I asked.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
Jenn,

Kimbertal has been around longer than I have (and I got my first Dobe in 1959 and have been showing dogs since 1960) and they have ALWAYS been a puppymill. The rescues in their part of the world are full of Kimbertal discards.

They are notorious for breeding with no health testing--not even the most minimal. There are lots of health problems in their breeding. They definitely breed oversized dogs and used to (don't know if they still do) advertise "Superior sized dogs". They are also a mill for Rottweilers.

Recently they have jumped on the European Dobes are better bandwagon and have been importing males to use at stud. At least one of them is from one of the biggest of the Euro puppymills.

Beware these websites. Unfortunately good websites are a dime a dozen and just as good advertising can make a poor product look desirable so can a well produced website make a puppy mill look like the real thing (that is to say a good breeder who is breeding to better the breed and not to make the almighty dollar). If you look through the website carefully you'll find that there are dozens of red flags that should tell you that these are not people to be dealth with. Reread the article about "How to Buy A Doberman Puppy" again before you look at the web sites for folk like Kimbertal, House of Hoytt and Prancing Pony (another long, long time puppy mill---specializing in oversized Dobes).

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobebug said:
Recently they have jumped on the European Dobes are better bandwagon and have been importing males to use at stud. At least one of them is from one of the biggest of the Euro puppymills.

LOL, one BIG reason they're on that bandwagon is because no American breeder would consider selling them a champion male to use in their "stud force" for their mill. They used to place ads in Doberman magazines here offering to buy champion males, they used to have their employees try to buy champion males for them on the sly.

I think it's pretty telling that they're unable to produce their own champion males, they always need to buy them from someone else. Certainly this should be within their realm of possibility if they actually were producing quality dogs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
dobebug said:
Kimbertal has been around longer than I have (and I got my first Dobe in 1959 and have been showing dogs since 1960) and they have ALWAYS been a puppymill. The rescues in their part of the world are full of Kimbertal discards.
I'm not trying to defend this kennel - just an observation since i decided to check out their website. It says they use females owned by customers for breeding purposes. Each female is bred twice and then retired.

Isn't a puppymill someplace where females are bred very often and kept in harsh conditions for its lifetime - churning out litter after litter?

Or is this place pretty much just bad for being a commercial operation interested in profits?

·
Banned
675 Posts
A puppymill means someplace that produces a lot of puppies, like a manufacturing mill produces a lot of whatever it makes.

What Kimbertal does is sell or even give away some of their female puppies to families on the condition that the bitch have two litters, then they can own her outright. The families keep the bitch during the pregnancy and whelping, then when the puppies are weaned they are taken to Kimbertal to be sold. There they are places in stalls in a barn according to litter. It is better for the puppies to be born and raised in families rather than born in a horse barn, but OTOH this method also saves Kimbertal from having to put in the labor and spend the money of raising the litter, it's all profit to them.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Why in this day and age are people NOT checking out their local breed clubs instead of going through the classifieds in search of a puppy? I'd rather take in a rescue than purchase from a puppy mill. I know I'm not being realistic here - I would bet that most pups are an impulse purchase - no matter what their breed - and most people want a puppy NOW and are not willing to put in the work to research breeders and wait 8-12 months for a pup from a reputable breeder.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Getting a pup from Kimbertal is like going to the mall to buy a pair of jeans. I fell prey to that when I got my girl from Kimbertal due to not knowing what I do know now. . Yes, my Nikita is from Kimbertal.

It’s very apparent that they are in it for the money, since most of the females they breed are less than two years old. I believe their deal of giving a female to family after they breed her is either at the first or second heat cycle proves how much they really care about their dogs. Of course, I didn’t get any info on health testing from them, but then again I was uneducated at the time and got only verbal gobbly-****. I have met numerous people that have gotten pups from them since I got my girl and they still swear by them as a good breeder. I have to wait to see if we have any significant health problems since my girl is not even two yet. So far, we have been quite lucky with her health, but only time will tell.

As a first time doberman owner, I think it is easy to land in these situations without having resources to educate and learn from, which I found after the fact. I am hoping that I might be lucky enough and got a good one from them. I would stay away from Kimbertal at all costs.

Even though my girl is forever attached to the “voodoo name” Kimbertal, she has lived up to all my expectations so far. She looks and acts like what a doberman should be, in my opinion. Seems to be very stable with a good temperament and great with other people and other dogs and is just to be a pure pleasure to be around.

·
Banned
16 Posts
this sit is 4 the gelous and most of you dont have a clue of wat a great dobie is why worie or bitch about a kennel making money isint that wat keeps great dogs comming. a bundel of dogs die of old age every year and need replaced or the breed will die out. i dont here you fussining when it is your puppies being sold and 4 the europen dobies that is where they come here from years ago to the usa. altobello kennel got the award best breaders of the world last year mabey this year.the trouble now days most dogs look like greyhounds here in the states.and 4 kimbertall they owen altobello studs and others that are ch and they dont look like greyhounds.look at your dog look at thers you make the choice greayhound or dobie

·
Registered
217 Posts
Give you a clue bud, I have had Dobies for 28 years and I have a very good clue as to what a great Dobe is and should look like. The thing I and others care about is what K'tal does, is because they are low class puppy millers out to make a buck off their dogs. They mass breed dogs, no health testing, oversized. And no a good kennel is not about making money, it's about the dogs health, the breed standard, health testing and trying to better the breed, k'tal is in it for the money and that's all! ''A bundel of dogs die of old age every year and need replaced or the breed would die out'' That make no logic! Yes dogs die every day, in shelters on the streets, of old age and health problems, but buying and supporting puppy millers like k'tal and hoh is just adding to the problem, not helping to fix the problems. What's there to be jealous about, because I won't support the likes of k'tal and hoh because of what they do to the breed I love? As for a dobe looking like a greyhound, I think you need to take a year or two and study the breed standard and learn more about the Doberman, that and find reputatable breeders. Not puppy millers like k'tal and hoh!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Blitzter said:
Give you a clue bud, I have had Dobies for 28 years and I have a very good clue as to what a great Dobe is and should look like. The thing I and others care about is what K'tal does, is because they are low class puppy millers out to make a buck off their dogs. They mass breed dogs, no health testing, oversized. And no a good kennel is not about making money, it's about the dogs health, the breed standard, health testing and trying to better the breed, k'tal is in it for the money and that's all! ''A bundel of dogs die of old age every year and need replaced or the breed would die out'' That make no logic! Yes dogs die every day, in shelters on the streets, of old age and health problems, but buying and supporting puppy millers like k'tal and hoh is just adding to the problem, not helping to fix the problems. What's there to be jealous about, because I won't support the likes of k'tal and hoh because of what they do to the breed I love? As for a dobe looking like a greyhound, I think you need to take a year or two and study the breed standard and learn more about the Doberman, that and find reputatable breeders. Not puppy millers like k'tal and hoh!
:emo1: :goodpost: :emo1:​

I would write more, but I'm just green with envy right now....

What is that I see lurking under that bridge?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
micdobe said:
A puppymill means someplace that produces a lot of puppies, like a manufacturing mill produces a lot of whatever it makes.

What Kimbertal does is sell or even give away some of their female puppies to families on the condition that the bitch have two litters, then they can own her outright. The families keep the bitch during the pregnancy and whelping, then when the puppies are weaned they are taken to Kimbertal to be sold. There they are places in stalls in a barn according to litter. It is better for the puppies to be born and raised in families rather than born in a horse barn, but OTOH this method also saves Kimbertal from having to put in the labor and spend the money of raising the litter, it's all profit to them.
Not to mention that the quality of some of those bitches is worse than dismal. At our last neighborhood, a family around the corner had one of those Kimbertal "brood bitches": to say that she did not meet the standard would be an understatement. Her first litter all died and their vet stated that she needed to be spayed and should never be bred again. In order to save her life and be able to keep her, they had to pay Kimbertal $1200 or Kimbertal would have taken her back and bred her against the advice of the vet. She probably weighed over 100lbs and plenty of it was fat. Her nails were talons and she was never exercised.......they had no fence and only walked her across the street to do her business and then right back to the house. I don't think she was abused but she sure did not have a good life. I did not know them well, and saw them last summer at a local event. The teenagers were there and did not recognize me. They said that they had a Doberman at home but she looked nothing like mine......... I just wanted to say "no kidding......mine actually look like a Doberman, not a Doberdane", but of course I didn't.

If it were not for Kimbertal and the local Kimbertal wanna-bes, with "Kimbertal lines", the rescue I do some volunteer work for wouldn't be eyebrow deep in throw away Dobermans. They don't want them back unless they can breed them.

Check out my foster boy "Gabe" on my website. He is a good example of how little Kimbertal cares about where their puppies go..... got cash? you can have a puppy with no questions asked!

·
Banned
16 Posts
look at your titteld dogs then look at kimbertall ch from europ that is where the dobie came from they where breed to protect you most breeders in usa breed 4 looks to skinney look like greayhounds if you stomp your foot they run and hid is this good to hid if a robber is in your home no.wount you rather see the dobie do wat it was breed to do protect your home and familey or be skinney and run like a chicken with wings your choice not mine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.