Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this account real quick to ask something.

I'm 13, my Doberman is 14 months and I've been with him since the 8week mark.

Ok. I know many dislike the idea of kids walking big dogs...yeah, it pisses me off too when a 10 year old is getting dragged by a Lab or something and he is smiling acting like nothing is wrong.

I've lurked on this forum for a while and and learned a lot.

I maintain 'Alpha' status with my dog, it's a must, he is crazy strong. I walk him down the street by my side/one step behind. I have taught him to sit, stay, etc on command. He listens. Neighbors and people walking dogs that tug are impressed and ask me how.

I'm trying to get opinions. Is it ok for a kid to walk a dog, a big one, if he is at an age mature enough to present himself as alpha to the dog and has control?

I don't like kids who just get tugged down the sidewalk, tell their moms it's the dog's fault.

Thoughts?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I guess it depends on you and your dog, I was walking and competing in agility with my Doberman when I was 12, and there are a few kids at my agility club your age (and younger!) with large dogs. As long as you are able to safely control your dog I see nothing wrong with it. I would carry a cellphone just in case, so you can call your mum up if something goes wrong. Some of my best days were going on 5 hour long walks at 11 and 12 years old with my best friends Poppy (Dobe), Gina (person) and Gina's dog Max (Rottie). Parents knew no one would mess with us.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,422 Posts
There are so many variables to what you present, the best I can say is "It depends."

There are the obvious things like the kind of neighborhood, the amount of traffic, the number of loose dogs and other hazards, the kind of people you meet, your size and control of your dog and of course the personality of your dog........

But the perhaps not so obvious concerns I would have about a kid :) walking a big dog like a doberman are:

Would you know what to do if something happened--

if your dog is hit by a car (first aid, how to you get the dog to a place to get help)

if your dog gets in a fight with another dog (how can you break a fight up or even prevent it from happening, first aid)

if your dog slips the leash and runs off or chases livestock, dogs, cats or other small mammals (what's the best way to get him back)

if an obnoxious person starts complaining about your dog (what do you say to get folks to stop bothering you without being totally offensive)

If your dog decides he doesn't LIKE a person approaching (can you really hold him back if he starts pulling and barking at something)

if a troublesome dog starts following you and your dog (how do you act to make sure the situation doesn't escalate, what can you do to discourage the other dog, to control your dog)

Of course, these are things that a lot of adults might not even be able to handle, but it would definitely be worth your while to think about situations like these and figure out some possible responses. It would probably benefit you to take some kind of course where an instructor can make sure you know everything you think you do (all of us can fool ourselves about our ability to control our dogs--dogs can be mighty unpredictable).

I'm thinking I perhaps hear the concerns of a parent in the background that you would like to persuade to your view (pardon me if I'm way off base). If that's the case, they might be impressed by your ability to name possible problems and solutions (in a nice way). The more they know about dogs and their proper handling, and see you putting a lot of time into making sure you and the dog can work together as a pair the better. If you can manage to take a class, they would probably feel better seeing you work and getting a chance to talk to the instructor about what you and your dog are capable of.

Does any of that make sense? That's really about the only advice I can give without knowing you, your dog and exactly what you are proposing to do together.

Oh, you're welcome to hang around here, participate, whatever--there is amazing amount of knowledge here and a great chance to open windows into all kind of opportunities and fun things to do in the dog world. Welcome to DT!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a thirteen year old son and a 17 month old dobe. I would not let my son walk Diesel until the dog is thoroughly trained not to pull on the leash in any situation or my son is physically able to control him if something got him excited. My son is not as dedicated as you are with the training so that may be partly the reason but I do know young dogs can be unpredictable. like others have said it depends on the situation.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I'm not much older than you, but I have a dobe :) she's one of the most well trained dogs compared to my friends (adult and minors) - the key is solid obedience. Can you find class to take your dog? Will mom or dad take you?

I train in 2-3 venues with my girl. Its hard sometimes but with the internet so easily within reach you can do a lot at home.
Given, I walk my girlie in a (properly fitted) prong. I wouldn't jump yo an aide such as that without seeing a trainer first.

I also let elementary school kids walk Juno supervised. :) I think young people and dobes are a great mix when everyone knows what they're doing! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts