Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me just say that I believe every kid should have a dog. I loved growing up with my lab BUT kids should be taught how to handle a dog and in my opinion should NOT be allowed to walk a dog that they clearly can not control and this is why...

I get a disturbing phone call from my boyfriend this evening (he's with Diesel during the day when i'm working) saying that there's been an incident. Of course my heart starts racing. I'm panicking wondering what could've happen to my sweet boy and then he says there was almost a dog fight between Diesel and another dog.

Scott was taking D on one of his many fun walks during the day and he heard some girls yelling he looked around and didn't see anyone then the next thing he knows this dog comes charging at him and D. Without hesitating he picks up D as quick as he can to keep him from being hurt. This dog starts jumping on him trying to get to my puppy and bites Scott who shoved the dog off him to get him to stop. Meanwhile this whole time these two girls are LAUGHING effing LAUGHING at whats going on. Diesel peed all over Scott. His hair was sticking up and he was barking. He was terrified all the dogs he's ever gone up to have been nice to him and they have gotten along fine so he's never experience a dog coming at him for no reason at all. From what Scott said D didn't even see the other dog at first. Keep in mind my puppy doesn't have all his shots (his last round is this sunday) and when Scott brought him back in he was licking his leg. Luckily I think he's fine. There's no bite marks or blood or anything and he seems okay now but still. I called the apartment complex and complained and now these people are under investigation.

I just can't wrap my head around why you would let your small children walk a dog you know they can't handle. Not only is it not safe for other people and dogs, it's not safe for that dog. God forbid he got hit by a car or anything else.

Regardless I am pissed and needed to rant and I'm not even sure where I go from here. Sorry this was so long I needed to get advice and let it out. Luckily I have a place like DT to do that.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, I hope Diesel is going to be okay. I do not understand how some people make these dumb decisions. Trusting small kids with a dog, walking dogs off leash when they have no control, etc.
He should be fine. I think it just startled him more then anything. I can't decided if I'm just in shock by people's dumbness or if I'm just that mad.

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
Yikes :mad2: Poor Diesel must have been freaked, to lose his bladder in a flash like that. I'm happy your b/f managed to scoop him up in time before the charging dog was able to get any closer, or worse, bite the little guy. Considering he's of the age of a critical socialization/fear-imprinting period, I really hope Diesel doesn't suffer any lasting ill effects from such a scare. Ugh... people :mad:

What's really scary to me though, is that the girls were "laughing," and not attempting to regain control of their loose dog, by calling his name and such. Do you think it's possible they might have actually encouraged the dog to go after Diesel? Since they seemed to be entertained by the whole ordeal, rather than concerned about accidentally losing control of their dog which in turn, scared a young puppy nearly to death and could have caused him some serious physical harm. If so, disgusting... WTH are parents teaching their children these days?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortunately Elke has never been hurt, but we've had a few experiences where dogs come out of nowhere like that and scared the crap out of both of us. It can happen so quickly.
It really can and luckily he's still to the point we can pick him up but I almost can't and soon we won't be able to. What scared me is it could've ended really bad.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes :mad2: Poor Diesel must have been freaked, to lose his bladder in a flash like that. I'm happy your b/f managed to scoop him up in time before the charging dog was able to get any closer, or worse, bite the little guy. Considering he's of the age of a critical socialization/fear-imprinting period, I really hope Diesel doesn't suffer any lasting ill effects from such a scare. Ugh... people :mad:

What's really scary to me though, is that the girls were "laughing," and not attempting to regain control of their loose dog, by calling his name and such. Do you think it's possible they might have actually encouraged the dog to go after Diesel? Since they seemed to be entertained by the whole ordeal, rather than concerned about accidentally losing control of their dog which in turn, scared a young puppy nearly to death and could have caused him some serious physical harm. If so, disgusting... WTH are parents teaching their children these days?

My biggest concern is that it will effect him. I just took him outside and the second he saw another dog he barked and went crazy didn't run away though which I think is good but I'm going to take him on a playdate with dogs he knows so we can teach him again that its ok.

I have no idea. Scott said he wasnt close enough to them to hear what they were saying he could just see and hear them laughing. I would be furious if they let their dog intentionally come after Diesel and I would be talking to their parents which I still plan on doing once we figure out exactly who it was. I have no idea why they didn't try to get their dog back. Not that it would've mattered Scott said he didn't seem very well trained. Its just unbelievable to me that parents are ok with this.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm amazed by how many children out there don't know how to approach a dog or treat dogs. We have had kids ride up on motorized scooters right next to the dogs shouting and sticking their hands in their faces. Parents really need to teach their kids how to approach dogs, and to ask for permission before petting, too!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm amazed by how many children out there don't know how to approach a dog or treat dogs. We have had kids ride up on motorized scooters right next to the dogs shouting and sticking their hands in their faces. Parents really need to teach their kids how to approach dogs, and to ask for permission before petting, too!
I'm big on the asking before petting thing. I never touch a dog without asking not to mention I let the dog come to me instead of kids who just pounce on dogs.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm big on the asking before petting thing. I never touch a dog without asking not to mention I let the dog come to me instead of kids who just pounce on dogs.
AGREED! What's even worse are adults who do that! I have a friend with a service dog and when he's working, it's the adults who are the main offenders! How ridiculous.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ah GPig, I'm sorry. I would have been livid! :mad: Callie sends lots of kisses to D! I hope those people cop a clue and leave walking the dog to responsible adults, not children. I totally second PP and the absolute necessity to teach children manners around, and respect for animals. They don't need to be treated like second-class, they're creatures with feelings! I saw kids outside the other day just yanking and yanking on a poor golden's collar because it was scared to go with them. So sad.

I wouldn't worry too terribly much about him barking at other dogs..I think some gentle socialization with friendly dogs might bring him around. Hes probably a little shell-shocked from the event. I would be!

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
Five words: pepper spray, then animal control. I always carry pepper spray when I walk the dogs, and unfortunately, I've had to use it more than once (I'm on the third can). I called animal services today because my dogs were attacked by some snarly little Yorky type mutt. I didn't use the pepper spary, but I sure used my cell phone. The dog's owner said for me to just let my dogs bite it, but I prefer to hit them where it really hurts, namely the $35 fine for a loose dog. :D

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah GPig, I'm sorry. I would have been livid! :mad: Callie sends lots of kisses to D! I hope those people cop a clue and leave walking the dog to responsible adults, not children. I totally second PP and the absolute necessity to teach children manners around, and respect for animals. They don't need to be treated like second-class, they're creatures with feelings! I saw kids outside the other day just yanking and yanking on a poor golden's collar because it was scared to go with them. So sad.

I wouldn't worry too terribly much about him barking at other dogs..I think some gentle socialization with friendly dogs might bring him around. Hes probably a little shell-shocked from the event. I would be!
Thank you :) Kids really need to learn it's not ok and parents should worry that if they don't teach their kids the right way to handle dogs and puppies that it could end with serious consequences. A child could seriously get hurt if their not careful. It's not even just about the animals. Some people just shouldnt be allowed to have kids.

He seems to be coming around. We had a fun training session and that seemed to help him.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Five words: pepper spray, then animal control. I always carry pepper spray when I walk the dogs, and unfortunately, I've had to use it more than once (I'm on the third can). I called animal services today because my dogs were attacked by some snarly little Yorky type mutt. I didn't use the pepper spary, but I sure used my cell phone. The dog's owner said for me to just let my dogs bite it, but I prefer to hit them where it really hurts, namely the $35 fine for a loose dog. :D
I am going to start carrying my pepper spray around.

That's horrible that the owners said to just let it bite him cause you know that would come back on your dog and they'd claim you had a "vicious" dog which would be messed up! I left so many messages for the main office of my complex when it happened until someone finally called me back.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another DT member told me about this site. Here's the one I have: ZAPLIGHT Rechargeable 1,000,000 Volt Stun Gun Flashlight

Small enough to fit in a hip pack. The firing of the gun would probably scare most dogs away. It's a loud crackling noise.
I honestly might get one. I'm so thankful it wasn't me cause that dog would've easily taken me and Diesel down that or I would've kicked it where it hurts to get off me. Stun gun sounds like a much better plan though haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love that it has a flashlight too! Apparently I have to come prepared to just walk my dog!

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
I have caused more then one irresponsible owner to lose a dog. One of the nastiest was SIX BLOCKS from his home, because my next door neighbor's bitch was in season (next door neighbor is another long rant). I was ready for him when he attacked Lucky (didn't have Ilka then) in our own driveway. He got a full blast of pepper spray right in the face, and we chased him all the way home. Every time he stopped, I ran up and sprayed him again. He got almost a full can that day. It took about five more times of me getting him before he finally quit going after us, but he still terrorized the neighborhood. I called every time I saw him loose, even if I just drove by and saw him out. I also told some of the people who lived near him to call every time they saw him loose, and to tell the 311 operator that he was dangerous (which he was). Well, he's been gone a while, now, so that area is a bit safer.

Reactions: kwhite30
1 - 20 of 58 Posts