Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Oklahoma is very HOT in summer can be up to 110* we also have high humidity was wondering about getting Buddy a Kiddy Pool in the back yard? The reason I ask is did not know if he would eat it or not?
Patches Mom

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
DUchess and coco have one of those kiddy plastic pools...they love it...Duchess will just walk in it...spin in circles and dunk her head...make sure to always change the water often :)

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Isabelle has a kiddy pool - Phoenix tends to a bit warm in the summer too! :lol2: actually this last week was (90s) hot I think it hit 100 on saturday - it sure felt like it! She has a full size pool as well but doesn't use it. She lays in the kiddy pool and splashes. She's had one since she was a puppy. We just change the water alot because it can get pretty warm & dirty. We always put it on the grass that way if she is jumping in and out she doesn't slip :) She has a tendency to get a bit silly.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have seen people buy the kids pools, works great, the dogs like to cool down.
If your dog is a chewer say "NO", and if he starts to chew it, take him out funs over, if he likes the pool he'll get the drift.
Any chewy no swimmy. :) lol

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I do all of the above. The only thing different is I have one inside another. (extra strength). they are reasonably priced @ K-mart-Walmart. Make sure you don`t get them too big. Very hard to change the water.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa likes hers:

I almost filled it up last week because it was so hot out (90*), but we'll wait because it cooled off.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
No advice from me..........Rudi even avoids walking thru a puddle! Silly dog!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I got one for my guys. I thought they might enjoy it when it got real humid and hot outside. They thought it was the greatest thing in the world...to drink out of that is. They think it is their giant water bowl. Good thing I got it on sale at Menards for 3 dollars. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
We got one for our two. Abbie loves it and especially enjoys it if you throw treats in there for her to fish out, Diesel on the other hand was terrified and wouldn't go near it let alone step in! Shame really as its great for cooling them down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Get one, he'll love it. Just supervise him at the beginning to make sure he doesn't want a plastic kiddie pool snack. Also, someone else mentioned having two together for strength - I second that idea. They can get holes in them from rambunctious paws, so if you double them, they'll last a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone about the Kiddy Pool just was wondering if others had them so thought I would ask. Thanks again.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
6,589 Posts

Lex loves hers :)

As for Buddy eating his, have you known him to be destructive? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are you won't have the pool out at all times for him anyway, just b/c it will need cleaned and such.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ahhhhhhh....Lex looks so cool and refreshed...

Also from my experience it helps to put it in a spot that gets full sun (retards algae growth) and it doesn't hurt to put a little chlorine bleach in it to keep things from blooming in the water overnight. That's very important in my climate but maybe not so much in yours.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Mensa is such a bathing beauty! Hubby picked up a sandbox w/ a lid at Toys R Us when they were clearing them at the end of July. We had only had Java for about a month. She LOVED it, kept trying to empty it out with her paws, biting the water, or just sitting in the water and hanging out. We keep the pool in an area that gets shade during the hottest part of the day since the sun can be so strong in the summer. Yes, I know - a very SRD!

Java also loves the sprinkler - we have the old-fashioned kind that spreads the water horizonally - keeps trying to bite the water, shakes her head, bounces around and then comes back for more. That will keep her occupied for an hour, easy. You wouldn't think that this is the same dog that is horrified when a drop of rain water hits her!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We don't fill the sandbox to the brim w/ water, and since Java will try and empty it out, it never stays in the pool long enough to develop algae.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had posted some of these before, but thought it worth posting again. Lena wouldn't get into her pool until we invited the neighbor's puppy over. Being mostly Lab, their pup got right in. Lena took one look at that and decided she liked the pool after all. The neat thing is Lena now thinks the pool is a great thing to get into. Silly Dobe!

Get out of my pool!

My pool!

I said, my pool!

It maybe dirty, but it's my pool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts