Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We boarded our two dogs for 4 days this week (Mon-Thurs) and our mutt we have came down with what I think is Kennel Cough! He was vaccinated last March with the bordatella shot and they said it was supposed to last a year? Our Doberman just got the nasal version last Friday. He isn't throwing up, but when he gets excited he starts making this coughing noise and sometimes he'll gag. We have cephalexin at home from when our Doberman was sick (we had to stop giving it to him because he got bad diarrhea) but I'm not sure if we should give it to our other dog or not? I absolutely hate boarding my dogs, because now our Dobie is hardly eating (He's a grazer as it is) but now I just feel like we have all kinds of problems :(

Is there anything we can do for Kennel Cough? I'm trying to call the facility we boarded him at to tell them so they can disinfect everything, but I'm not sure they are open today..

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I actually stopped doing the kennel cough vaccines, as there are too many different varieties of kennel cough. I would consult a vet prior to starting antibiotics. Watch carefully for pneumonia, fever or going off water or food and get in fast if that happens. Most dogs will get over Kennel cough without antibiotics. Exposure is really everywhere, dog shows are also a good place to pick it up.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would not get the kennel cough vaccine any more. The kennel cough vaccine only protectes (nothing is for sure) against only up to 15 of the almost 40 agents capable of initiating kennel cough. I would say thoese are bad odds. But the Vets don't tell you that. Most kennels, daycares want you to have them vaccinated for it. Why? It is to protect these facilities against liability. Which is BS!!!!!!!!!!!
Most dogs will get over it. But some do come down with a secondary infection like pneumonia. If they are not eating, running a fever, signs of severe respiratory troubles. It could indicate pneumonia.

We do not over vaccinate. We do not get boosters every year. We get titter tests for parvo and distemper. Do people get boosters every year? Even the Vet schools have changed the protocals for vaccines. The biggest problem is with one shot they are giving your dog or cat 5-7 different vaccines at one time!!! They are finding out the core vaccines when they get when puppies are lasting 3-5 yrs and maybe a lifetime. Talk about it with your vet. Ask questions. Do some research on your own. Read about what else (the adjuvants) are putting in the vaccines to help over stimulate the immune systems. Like aluminum, mercury! They are also finding out some of these vaccines can cause some other diseases. Allergies, cancer. If they need a vaccine. I will ask the vet to give seperate vaccines about a month apart. Also do not give a Rabbies vaccine with another vaccine. Check out Dogs Naturally Magazine.
About 30 yrs ago I had a Dobe and went for boosters every year. You know that card you get in the mail every year. When she was about 3 yrs old I took her in for boosters. She was very lethargic for about 3 days after. Long story short. She developed an Auto Immune Disease. I could go on and on with this one.
Hope they get better

1 - 3 of 3 Posts