Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dobebug 
#1 · (Edited)
I never had the time to make a second post specifically about Kenai's skin. We saw the vet two weeks ago and they suspected that her skin started to flare up due to a flea allergy. Her skin was flaking up significantly. She had dry bumpy skin, hair loss, and small sores. Kenai is taking flea/tick/heartworm prevention orally every month. The vet thinks that a topical verison would be more effective for Kenai, so next month we be testing this. Kenai also had a bacterial and yeast infection since her skin barrier broke predisposing her to one. She’s on antibiotics for it. Also mentioned to shower her with the medicated shampoo I have for SK/dermatitis and changing her diet to rule out possible food allergies such as poultry. We have now switched her to PPP Large Breed Salmon Sensitive Skin and Stomach Diet. Before she was eating Orijen and then Acana. I will say I’ve struggled so much when it came to picking a brand for her. At some point I wanted to start her on a raw diet instead but it takes a lot effort and research to make sure it is a balanced diet. My vet was very adamant about her being on a grain diet. Wanted to know y’all’s thoughts? I know every dog is different and of course what each owner is able to provide but I’m open to hearing what has worked for you. I got in touch with a veterinary nutritionist and was going to schedule a consult but I couldn’t because I’m about to move to a new apartment and need to save up money. So maybe I’ll just wait until I am able to. Her skin has improved, her hair is looking shiny again and not as dull. The only thing is she still has a lot of dandruff more so at her back end. She is shedding still but not as much as before. What do you recommend for shedding? Right now I have the shower gloves. Kenai seems to be licking her butt area a lot too. Is this fairly normal? She is almost 9 months and I’m mentally preparing for her to go into heat any time soon since I never had a dog who wasn’t spayed already. Her diapers came in today😅 Besides the obvious reasons of not spaying because of wanting to breed but in terms of just growth/health did you spay your dog early or waited a year or two?

Picture update 🥹🤎

Dog Carnivore Mammal Collar Dog breed

See less See more
#2 ·
I did find another thread with a similar issue in terms of dandruff which was really helpful!!! I’m going to see how her skin does with changing the way I bathe her (cold/tepid water, not scrubbing against the grain of the hair, and letting her air dry - might struggle with this because she comes out dripping😂). I didn’t have any dandruff issues until this spring. I’m assuming the weather/environment can affect this too since her immune system is still developing. So thankful for this forum because I’m finding really good answers.

#3 ·
Flaky skin…my vet first recommendation was Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo for humans.
My next go to is 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.
Vinegar is a natural astringent and maintains a natural PH balance on our dogs skin.
I use a gallon jug to prepare my vinegar mix.
Cool water and just pour over the dog working in the mix with a gentle motion.
Yep….go with the grain…not against it….
And be careful when humans pet your dog.
Some folks just want to scratch your dog in both directions to please your pup.
Then you end up with pissed off hair follicles. Little ingrown hairs can cause the bumps.
So hope to hear from you again.
Oh yeah….the smell of the vinegar will go away after a few minutes.
You can even use this mixture to freshen the house by misting the bedding etc.
Works great and is cheap cheap cheap…..

#5 ·
I don't keep bitches but if I did I'd wait until they had been through a couple of heat seasons before I spayed--that would usually get them to at least 18 months. If I kept bitches I would spay them, either after they had been bred if they were intended to be bred or at around two because the possibility of a pyometra increases with age.

I don't neuter males at all--unless there is a medical reason. So some of my males are never neutered--those that are it's generally because of prostatitis and a neuter is the specific for that.

And I've bathed my dogs in cold water ever since the technition (married to a veterinarian) went to a seminar on how to bath your dog given by a vet dermatologist--it's posted on DPCA's website. And along with all the other things that a final vinegar and water rinse does is to get rid of any residual shampoo that multiple rinsing in water has missed. And yes, they really do stop smelling like a salad as soon as they dry.

dobebug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.