Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well based on the recent thread Doberman Conformation, ******* seems to be a little soft and could use more muscle. I would like to know all your daily exercise routines, weight of your dog, and how much you feed!
Here's *******'s:
Monday's Tuesday's and Thursday's in the morning we go for a short neighbourhood walk. I go to school these days so I don't have alot of time in the mornings. When I get home we normally go over to the college (700 acres) and we go for about 1/2 - 1 hour walk (off leash). The other day's we go for a longer walk/run at the college and normally spend time socializing at petstores or just around town in busy areas. About every other night she go's over to her girlfriends house and play's with her in their backyard. When the weather warms up I plan to increase our walks, but right now I am pretty much a ice cube when I get home!

Food: Go Natural - 1 cup in the morning, 1 in the evening (650 cal. per cup) Vit.C, Vit.E, Safflower Oil in the morning (1/2 tablespoon), Flaxseed Oil in the evening (1/2 tablespoon), nutritional yeast, kelp, a multi enzyme capsule and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinagar!
Training everyday with some treats, either chicken breast or Wellness Wellbites. Wednesdays we go to obedience so I feed only half her dinner but take a chicken breast. I just switched to Fromm Gold and am mixing that in with the Go Natural. ******* currently weighs 82 lbs and is about 26 1/2" tall!She also get's a few raw meaty bones through the week...and this could be the culprit?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Abbie and Diesel both weigh about 83lbs.Weekdays they get a good hour/hour and a half in the morning which includes 20 mins on lead and the rest offlead, where they chase each other, chase their ball, play with their friends, or run around exploring and sniffing. In the afternoon they get about 45 mins off lead, sometimes we get the tennis ball chucker out, sometimes we hide a toy and they search for it and other times they just run around or we make a couple of jumps and they play at agility! Once the evenings get lighter they will get another half hour walk before bed. If we go to the pet store they come too. They also spend a lot of time play fighting which has really toned up Abbies muscles, she was quite lazy before we got Diesel! They go to training on a Wednesday evening and I do a bit with them each day at home. Weekends we do the same morning walk and then try to get up to Cannock Chase in the afternoon, the part we go to has lots of nice hills to climb!
We feed them Naturediet which is a natural wet food. They get one pack a day split into two meals. Treats are fish biscuits, fish skins, chicken or sometimes some sausage ( for training!! )

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Orson was just weighed saturday when we went in to get the prong collar, he has went down from 75 to 73 lbs. He is 27 1/2 inches tall.

He eats 4 cups of kibble a day 2 in am and 2 in pm (right now we are trying solid gold / wolf king) Normally he will get some yogurt or cottage cheese in the a.m. meal. Once in a while he will have an egg, or salmon instead.
He gets an average of 2 HM biscuits a day, and usually one pork skin stuffed with chicken liver to chew. He also eats at least one string cheese a day. A couple times a week he will have about 1/2 cup of peanut butter in his kong.

The only supplement he has is a mixture from petsmart that has fish oil, flaxseed oil, and some enzymes.....which I give him in his P.M. meal.

He gets a 45 minute brisk walk everyday, with the exception of the below zero weather this winter. He runs around the backyard chasing Phoebe (who is faster at the moment) for about 30 minutes everyday. We have carpeted stairs so most days we throw his toy up the stairs about 10-12 times in a row to tire him out for awhile. At least a couple times a week I play hide & seek with him as well.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
I truly would not worry about it at this point. It sounds like she gets enough exercise and she is still a puppy. 83 pounds sounds like a lot, but without seeing her in person, I could not say that for sure.

As far as exercise goes, my two mostly just run around the yard. I don't kid myself that leash walks provide them with any real exercise.........that is just for me :) The fenced portion of my yard is over 1/4 acre - so they can run pretty hard out there. They are both a little soft right now.......coming off of winter.

When conditioning for the show ring, I do bike 1-2 miles a few times a week, but you can't start that till they are 18 months old. When biking, I keep her at a good trot.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Okie--This is really hard for me because my previous dobies were on a self-feed. I never could get them to the weight I wanted. Anyway with Tamora we feed on schedule. She has become a real chow hound. I guess I could have her be whatever weight I wanted as she would keep on eating. Right now she gets 1 cup (venison & brown rice) twice a day.Suplements fish oil and salmon oil--twice a day. Sometimes less food depending on how much training. Training treats are, string cheese (2 or 3) beef sticks, potato and duck biscuits. Sometimes leftovers and kongs with kibble and peanutbutter once a week. Just started raw marrow bones (goal is once a week)
Oh she weighs 65lbs.
Exercise--flying chucks (frisbe type toy) Her favorite--I get tired of throwing it before she does. (2 to 3 times a day).
Walks (Bluebird Park are the best ( 1 hour)
Training everyday. Beginning Novice--once a week--Privates can be for an hour whenever (trainer goes to shows a lot)
She and Copper don`t play as much anymore. If I`m in the yard everyone hangs out and does whatever.
I suspect she will tone up more now that our weather is decent.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Well based on the recent thread Doberman Conformation, ******* seems to be a little soft and could use more muscle. I would like to know all your daily exercise routines, weight of your dog, and how much you feed!
Here's *******'s:
Monday's Tuesday's and Thursday's in the morning we go for a short neighbourhood walk. I go to school these days so I don't have alot of time in the mornings. When I get home we normally go over to the college (700 acres) and we go for about 1/2 - 1 hour walk (off leash). The other day's we go for a longer walk/run at the college and normally spend time socializing at petstores or just around town in busy areas. About every other night she go's over to her girlfriends house and play's with her in their backyard. When the weather warms up I plan to increase our walks, but right now I am pretty much a ice cube when I get home!

Food: Go Natural - 1 cup in the morning, 1 in the evening (650 cal. per cup) Vit.C, Vit.E, Safflower Oil in the morning (1/2 tablespoon), Flaxseed Oil in the evening (1/2 tablespoon), nutritional yeast, kelp, a multi enzyme capsule and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinagar!
Training everyday with some treats, either chicken breast or Wellness Wellbites. Wednesdays we go to obedience so I feed only half her dinner but take a chicken breast. I just switched to Fromm Gold and am mixing that in with the Go Natural. ******* currently weighs 82 lbs and is about 26 1/2" tall!She also get's a few raw meaty bones through the week...and this could be the culprit?
Razzle is right at 26", and weighs about 67 lbs. I can't say exactly how much she eats-I use a one pint dish as a scoop and just eyeball how much each dog gets. I'd make a rough estimate that she gets about 2 3/4 to 3 cups of kibble (Canidae) total per day, divided into 2 meals. Also maybe a tablespoon or two of canned food in each meal, and a fish oil tablet. She gets a marrow bone 2-3 times per week. Plus the random dog cookie here and there.

We have about 2 acres for the dogs to run on, and she does a fair amount of running and playing every day with the other two dogs here. Until about a month ago she was also going to the park for play dates twice a week-and that was about 45 minutes to an hour of HARD running up and down hill each time. She hasn't been lately (my friend who met me there has cancer and is going through chemo), and just within a month I can see that she's starting to get a little soft. So I'm either going to have to start roadworking her, or take one of the dogs here to the park with her and get that hard up and down hill running into her schedule again.

You really can take comparisons of what other dogs eat and how much exercise they get just so far-every dog is different. While exercise can make a difference, some dogs are just naturally harder and tighter than others. I had one bitch that was the laziest pig you've ever seen-it was unusual to see her break out of a walk. Yet she remained in top condition, just rock hard, her entire life.

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
Okie-Dobie,

Her weight sounds high to me. Colt who is 28-1/2" weighed around 85 pounds in show weight--when he was running agility I cut him back a little to around 82 pounds. Rumor who is just under 27" weighed about 75 pounds in show weight--after he finished I took a little weight off him--and he runs agility at around 73-74 pounds.

My young fawn dog who is both big and heavy boned went off to the last circuit he was shown on at around 87 pounds but his handler decided that she wanted a little weight off him and right now he's 84-85 pounds.

I think ******* is carrying a little too much weight and is a bit too well padded at the moment. But I agree with Murreydobe that you can't really compare weight and activity levels dog to dog.

I had a dog that stayed muscled to the hilt as a couch potato and in fact muscled up so easily that when I started to road work the handler and I figured out I wasn't going to be able to do much with him because he'd get such heavy muscling in odd places (like over his loin) that it made his topline look bad.

On the other hand that dogs mother needed a ton of road work practically daily to keep her looking good when she was showing.

The best exercise I've ever found is a couple of Dobes who can run together in areas where there are hills--I usually do some road work but it's often to teach balance and extension rather than to get more muscle.

Right now my dogs have less muscle than they'll have in September after a summer of better weather and not so much danged rain.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The best exercise I've ever found is a couple of Dobes who can run together in areas where there are hills
I agree 100%-I can definitely see a difference in Razzle since we've stopped doing that for a month..so probably will move heaven and earth to get back to her doing that rather than road working her.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Mine get most of their exercise running like maniacs in the backyard together. Ok. I am the one looking like a maniac to get them going. We spend a lot of time together out there. I have a decent sized yard, so it is nice and roomy for us to play in and get full speed. We do go on walks, but we don't get near the workout that we do in the yard. Plus it is so much more fun than your average walk.

I want to get them out this summer on my bike. I think they would have a blast. I am just leary about it. I thought about it last year and just never had the courage to do it. I might do it this year.

Right now we all look soft with the winter ending. (Me more than them) Now that it is slowly warming up, we hit the grand outdoors more. Our daily training gets moved outside.

For food currently, Harmony gets 3 cups of Canidae a day split into two feedings. She also gets her fish oil and vit. E daily. Asher gets 4 cups of his Solid Gold daily in two feeds with his supplements. Training treats are worked in lightly during training.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I've only had Petey a couple of months and he's still young....but for the last couple of weeks I've been hiking with him daily for about 1.5 hours...off lead. He does really well with the snow and cold. We do woods, fields and hills. Some days we meet up with other dogs and he has started running around with them now too. He is my new excuse to spend hours out in nature every single day! My family says go for it....on the days he isn't run he acts like a spoiled little toddler in the house, driving everyone insane!

Carol

·
Registered
821 Posts
We take Gaston & Roxy on walks in downtown Savannah a couple of times a week. I measured it and it's aprox. 6 miles. They also blast around here daily and I have 3.5 acres for their blasting enjoyment!!!!
Food wise, they eat Canidae-Roxy gets 3 cups and Gaston 4 cups split into 2 feedings per day.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
We take Gaston & Roxy on walks in downtown Savannah a couple of times a week. I measured it and it's aprox. 6 miles. They also blast around here daily and I have 3.5 acres for their blasting enjoyment!!!!
Food wise, they eat Canidae-Roxy gets 3 cups and Gaston 4 cups split into 2 feedings per day.

3.5 acres (drool) I wish. I think our next house, that is going to be a requirement. Do you have it all fenced in, I know you have horses, do you have to keep them seperated or are they just horse savvy dogs. I have come close to taking Rommel with me to my friends barn where I ride, but I am scared of him acting like an idiot and getting kicked.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Do you have it all fenced in, I know you have horses, do you have to keep them seperated or are they just horse savvy dogs. I have come close to taking Rommel with me to my friends barn where I ride, but I am scared of him acting like an idiot and getting kicked.
Not LTH, but since I also have hooved animals (right now 1 horse and 1 mini donkey), I figured I'd answer as well. Our 2 acres is completely surrounded by six foot chain link fence.

We don't keep the dogs separated from the hooved animals...everyone gets along really well. The dobermans here were all raised with horses, even the mixed breed dog that came here to live at about 2 years of age has assimilated well. They go in and out of the stalls and corrals, will steal alfalfa pellets from the feeders, and I've even seen them drinking side by side out of the troughs with the horses.

In fact, I had one bitch that was QUITE indignant when I made it clear she wasn't going to be allowed to have her puppies in one of the stalls...that was her whelping area of choice.

But the horses here have all been *very* benevolent when it comes to dogs-that's something we'd have to be very careful about if/when we add another horse to the herd. Not all horses are that tolerant.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the good information on your dogs. I was looking at ******* yesterday and besides a few pounds she should loose, she looks pretty good. Sounds like I need to find another dog for her to really run around with more than anything else. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
BIB the whole area is fenced but the horse area is also seperate. I don't let the dogs go in the horse area unless the horses are in their stalls during meals. I have 1 alpha mare that would try and kill the dogs in a split second and a gelding that would also try and help her. So the dogs being loose with the horses is not an option. Besides my 3.5 acres we have about 25 acres with a pond next door to us that my neighbor lets us also use for the dogs pleasure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts