Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought last week a choker but i dont realy like this and i talked to my friend and he is using the prong. I decided to go buy one and it helping alot i would like to know if i can keep the prong on her when she is running in the forest ? Because when i was using the choker i was taking it out before she go play in the forest. But with the prong it longer to take it out and to put it back after. I want to know if it dangerous.

Edit : She is running in the forest with other dog they fight and run.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Agree, definitely take it off. I would not keep it on even if your dog is not playing with other dogs and instead would have a flat collar on with her ID. But if she is also playing with dogs I would absolutely remove. Prong collars can easily get caught on another dog collar and cause the dogs to get stuck together. This can be very dangerous.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
IMO I take off prong collars and choke collars while playing. Only martingale or buckle collars. Accidents can and usually happen.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Yep agree. Take all collars off except for the buckle collar when they're playing with other dogs or alone in the house (or anywhere else unsupervised). They can seriously injure themselves or another dog, or strangle themselves if they get caught on something. I use a buckle collar with one of those plastic clips, I think it's similar to a breakaway. If Griffin gets hung up on something, he can just back out of the collar or the clasp will break.

He's also microchipped- I highly recommend having that done in case your dog gets out or something. Shelters and vets all scan for the chips now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts