Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I keep a 50 lb bag dry dog food fresh? Is it ok to keep in the bag? My dog eats about 4 cups a day total.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
I place my 48 lbs of dry kibble in a plasic container which is stored in the pantry room with washer and dryer. No problems staying fresh.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gamma vault

We have an older Vittles Vault from years ago. keeps the kibble fresh, and when the O-ring on the lid failed the company sent us two for free. Can't beat that!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,422 Posts
If there is any possibility your dog may have allergies to storage mites (a common allergy) do not store the food in another container unless you are washing it THOROUGHLY between bags. The leftover crumbs in the bottom of a bin are ideal living quarters for the mites. I keep mine in the bag it comes in, fold over the top and clip it shut after each use. Or you could put the whole bag into the container if you can keep it from spilling over inside.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I store my girls' kibble in the bag in an enclosed plastic bin in the kitchen. If I didn't keep it shut away Tali would gorge herself the second I'm not looking!

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Gamma sealed Vittles Vaults here, too.

I had ants get into a bag of dog food once. Never again with the Gamma seal! When I made the purchase, I brought the bin home and filled it with water and tipped it over (on the front lawn). It doesn't leak water. It doesn't allow critters in.

You can get Gamma seals for 5 gallon plastic buckets, too, if you'd prefer that route. We used that for the cat food for the barn cats, as it fit in the wood bin that had been constructed in the barn for their food. The gamma sealed bucket proved to be both raccoon and opossum proof, too.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It is better to store the dog food in it's original bag. You can still put the bag inside a plastic container.

Pet Food Storage Recommendations: What to Do, What NOT to Do! Learn How to Choose the Best Dog Food Containers.
This is all excellent, but according to Steve Brown three to four weeks (as versed to six weeks) is a more appropriate time frame within which one should use dry food. He says that after four weeks, fully 50% of the water soluble vitamin content is gone.

I also find that freezing in a freezer-freezer (as versed to a refrigerator freezer) keeps kibble just fine.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
Ours is in the original bag inside a snap-shut plastic container. One reason to keep the bag is just in case there are any recalls or issues with the food.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I keep our kibble loose in a plastic bin. We use it all within 4 weeks, and I thoroughly scrub out the inside between bags. I keep the expiration/lot number part of the bag taped to the top of the bin.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use a 40# Gamma Vittles Vault. I line it with a food grade plastic bag. And replace the plastic bag before each new bag of kibble goes in. Makes it easier then trying to fit the original kibble bag in there.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
:eek: I never thought top keep the original packaging in case of recalls...nor have I ever really cleaned out the plastic bucket I keep the food in! I'm going to do that immediately LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts