Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kaydee will be 1 year next month. I am in shock that she let a stranger in my yard! I was really upset, she does bark when there are people or cats around. Her bark is the serious watch dog bark. My question why did she let someone in my yard that she dosnt know. I did hear her warning bark then I heard a knock at my back door. Now I feel that Kaydee will not protect me or my family. Is she too young to know not to let strangers walk on the property? I need help I was really in shock when there was a man at my back door. Thanks so much. :help_up_2bigmove:

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Dobermans are not historically property guardians, those jobs were saved for the mastiff types. My opinion is to get a no trespassing sign, a gun if you feel the need for protection, and keep your girl safe inside. If that person wanted to, sounds like they could have easily stolen, poisoned, or let your girl loose. She is 11 months and is not mature yet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Maybe she did not feel the person was a threat. Phoenix has barked and growled at his own dad when he was putting on a sweater and Phoenix did not know who it was or why they were throwing their arms in the air

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I am sure if your heart started racing and your tone changed with the neighbor, her attitude would change.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You are depending too much on your PUPPY for protection. You are really supposed to protect your dog at this age. Most will not be serious till two or maybe even three years of age.

If you are that worried, perhaps you should get a gun and an alarm system.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree with lots that was said above. She alerted you and you didnt go and check. What did you want her to do? Bite them? Then she would have been paying a dear price I am sure. I put locks on my gate from the inside with a beware of dog sign. None of my dogs are left outside when we are not home and when we are home yeah, like they would go out if your inside. LOL

When we are walking and Kyrah sees someone ahead or over there she nose pokes me looking there and then at me. I tell her "its ok" and she is fine. At home when she sees something out the window or hears something she barks then looks at me "are you going to check it" and when I do and say "its ok" she is fine. If I dont she continues to bark more than I like. So IMO she is doing what she should. She is alerting me to what is going on around me then letting me decide what course of action we should take.

Dont get me wrong she isnt perfect. There are times she barks at people when I wish she wouldnt and times she surprises me that she didnt bark.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
When my Dobe thinks someone is about he will bark, he then runs to me to give me a report (as we call it) then back to where-ever he perceives the problem to be coming from. But the key component to all of this, is we are there to see who, what, where, when. From what you have said you didnt go to give her back up and she couldnt report to you.
Your little girl is still very young and to be honest if you got a Dobe to protect your house you are likely to be disappointed no matter what age she is. Dobes are personal protection models they will die protecting you but your TV, erm is it worth so much?
I have signs at both entrances to my property warning folk to take care of my dogs, now everyone thinks it is because I have a Dobe. WRONG! It is the 2 Terriers you have to watch out for, followed by the Dobe and the crazy arsed woman with the machete you have to be careful of.
In my opinion, get signs and when she barks get up and take a look. Do not rely on her to send folk packing, that again in my opinion is your job.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Personally, I'd much rather have my dog let a stranger in the backyard then be liable for a bite. However, if harm was coming to myself I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Whiskey would make the sorry sucker pay for hurting his mom lol

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I am sure if your heart started racing and your tone changed with the neighbor, her attitude would change.
I'm curious as to why you're "sure"?

I mean, this is a puppy bitch.

We don't have information on whether she is from working bloodlines, or even show lines that have had some performance titles and WACs.

I'm assuming she's had no formal protection training.

We don't have any information on how well and extensively she has or has not been socialized, whether she's attended any formal OB classes to build her confidence.

I'm just always surprised when folks romanticize what their dog might do to protect, when they usually have not set the dog up for success, nor properly prepared it to do so.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I also wonder why she was left unattended in a yard that people can easily get into. There is a huge market for purebred dogs and a huge worry should be her getting stolen. The point has also been made that Dobermans are not, and never have been, bred to guard property. If that's the reason you got her then I think that you picked the wrong breed.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I like the advice you've gotten so far, but off the subject.......the pink font you used is really hard to read on my computer. (Disclosure--I'm not real fond of pink anyway :))

It's probably just me.
It's not just you, I had to highlight the text to read it.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I'm curious as to why you're "sure"?

I mean, this is a puppy bitch.

We don't have information on whether she is from working bloodlines, or even show lines that have had some performance titles and WACs.

I'm assuming she's had no formal protection training.

We don't have any information on how well and extensively she has or has not been socialized, whether she's attended any formal OB classes to build her confidence.

I'm just always surprised when folks romanticize what their dog might do to protect, when they usually have not set the dog up for success, nor properly prepared it to do so.
I'm sure, cuz its a dog and I didn't say it would attack but rather its non chalent attitude would change.
My late grandmothers pekinese didn't have, as you say working lines in him, but if someone tried harming her or if her tone changed to panic, that dogs attitude would change real quick.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I believe at one year if she bit someone coming into your back yard who was not a threat to you, you and she both would be in trouble. Give her two more years and have someone come at you in a threatening manner and then let us know. At a year, she's a baby. She's going to be a baby until 2 1/2 or 3. Dobermans are personal protection dogs, not property protection. My aunt's miniature chihuahua is more protective of property than are my Dobes.

The more your Doberbaby is with you and your family the more she is going to know "she owns" you and she will let others know no one should bother what belongs to her.

Does she stay outside most of the day? Maybe she's also used to strangers walking by. I would also never leave her outside except to potty or maybe to explore for 15 or 20 minutes.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
201 Posts
As stated above , a lot of good advice has been given already. If i had to guess because i don't know your dog. I would guess that this person she let in , she didn't feel threatened by them. Also this person was probably a dog person for a couple of reasons A) Although we know dobermans are sweet Velcro dogs .... The general public don't and would not walk in on a doberman treaded territory. B) This person probably read the dogs body language and saw no threat and came in. As stated above , Dobermans are not attack dogs they are watch dogs and in WWII they were used as such. You yourself admitted you heard the barks. In my opinion , your little pup did her job. Id advise buying a gun and taking shooting classes , if you want to protect your family. I wouldn't rely on a security system to protect mine , it takes police a while to get to the scene once reported.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...the pink font you used is really hard to read on my computer. (Disclosure--I'm not real fond of pink anyway :))

It's probably just me.

I'm pretty sure Yung loves pink.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't get why people think that once they have a substantial dog, who's value may be deemed protective or of the guard type, all of a sudden forget that others may have the same...or at least an understanding, lack of fear or knowledge of how to handle them.

Unless your dog is specifically trained to seek out and hunt down strangers...any joe who is familiar with dogs, not afraid, cunning, etc. would be able to easily navigate past them.

You could always try a lion. I hear they are pretty impartial as to whom they eat...I mean greet. :p

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Buddy the 90#Doberman will be 5 years old in April he loves everyone will bring anyone his toy, never barks when in the house, will bark in the back yard mostly at the feral cats in the Brick yard behind our house.Patches is the one you need to watch out for she guards anyone in bed she is the 14 # Dachshund. Buddy's dad is Multi Ch,CGC,TDI<VCX,ZTPIA<FH<VAG# KORUNG B, I think his Mom got her CGC & CD.
So Buddy most likely would rise to the occasion if his Mom was in trouble or his little sister Patches.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts