Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information about Katoba. I know someone who has been considering getting a Katoba dobby. I decided to do a google search and in my very first search I found this web site and have been very concerned about all the negative feedback on them. I also did a facebook search and the owner of Katoba has her FB page open to the public and after doing a little digging I didn't like what I saw. I would like to PM anyone that is willing to share facts about this breeder with me.
Thank you,
Searching

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If both the feedback and the owner's facebook page makes you uncomfortable why would you even consider getting a pup from the breeder? A good breeder will want to know how the dog that you bought is doing throughout it's life so I'd make sure to get a dog from someone you're comfortable with!

Are you/your friend in WA because we can recommend other breeders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not the one looking, someone I know has been looking into getting one. I took it upon myself to do some research.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Several dogs from this kennel has been shown in the surrounding areas and has done quite well. One dog that comes to mind is rated in the top 20. I've seen a few really nice dogs with that kennel name in the ring. My suggestion is to visit and get references. Read your contract and be sure you can follow through with what is stated.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Agree with contacting Dragonman or StarlaineK9 with respect to Katoba/Kathy Babbitt. Having a Dobe you bred in the Top 20 does not necessarily make you a reputable breeder. If your friend lives in Washington state, there are a lot of good breeders to choose from.

Jan

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Agree with contacting Dragonman or StarlaineK9 with respect to Katoba/Kathy Babbitt. Having a Dobe you bred in the Top 20 does not necessarily make you a reputable breeder. If your friend lives in Washington state, there are a lot of good breeders to choose from.

Jan
Jan, I didn't say it meant that but did remember a few of these dogs at the shows. Just commenting on that. This is why I said, I would visit and read my contract careful. Very general information.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That link shares nothing? I have no idea why the court case was started and there is no website with facts so... care to share? As I have seen DT'ers tend to stick together and the whole story might be misconstrued....

Looking at their website.. they seem to do all the testing etc and have nice dogs.. I would buy from them personally, what in fact makes you feel uneasy about them?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This is enough for me.

Katoba Dobermans were found guilty of fraudulent misrepresentations on the Katoba website and my contract with them and are found to be in violation of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) codified at Revised Code of Washington (RCW) Chapter 19.86 entitled "Unfair Business Practices - Consumer Protection." Please note that businesses are held accountable to this RCW to protect the public no matter if their actions were intentional or not.
That link shares nothing? I have no idea why the court case was started and there is no website with facts so... care to share?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Disclaimer here as I cant remember for sure, but wasnt it that Kathy Babbit stated on her website that a health test was done when it wasnt. Seems like other stuff, too. Kathy and Dragonman were co-owners and Kathy lost her co-ownership as Dragonman was declared the sole owner. The decision was posted on Dragonmans website.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I found this... there are two sides to every story and without more details on the case I am not prepared to let the opinion of one Judge make up my mind for me. I do not wish to attack other members but after reading some other posts would not listen to their very one-sided, sensitive, version of events.

http://dogshownewsnetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289

It would be nice if people that have owned/do own a Katoba Doberman to chime in with their experiences.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nightgrace you might want to do some more research

there have been several people with huge run ins with Kathy Babitt; she has ripped off many people.

Several times she hasn't returned deposits; some which were substantial amounts of money.

She was put up on violations with the DPCA at one of the Nationals and banned from the show.

some of the stories from owners are unbelievable. I have witnessed things personally from her that would make your head spin.

Tell your friend to stay far far away from her; getting involved is only going to bring heart ache and drama.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I may have read this wrong but looks like the holter was done late and the website said that all health testing was done. Am I reading this wrong?

I view a deposit as a commitment and if you don't follow through with that, you lose your deposit. That's the way I thought it worked. Breeders aren't WalMart. Stike that, even at Walmart, you'd lose your deposit. LOL A deposit holds a puppy but I guess there are situations that might call for a refund, but few.

Having said that, I don't know the breeder personally, just seen some of her dogs at the shows. They were nice. Just saying.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If the breeder can't provide the puppy, then the deposit should be returned. I would think that's what duncdobe is talking about.
As I remember, one of the "deposits" she wouldn't refund was actually the full purchase price for the dog, required to be paid well in advance. Then...no puppy, and a major hassle getting their "deposit" returned.

Kinda misleading and dishonest to even call a 100% prepayment a "deposit", IMO.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I am looking for information about Katoba. I know someone who has been considering getting a Katoba dobby. I decided to do a google search and in my very first search I found this web site and have been very concerned about all the negative feedback on them. I also did a facebook search and the owner of Katoba has her FB page open to the public and after doing a little digging I didn't like what I saw. I would like to PM anyone that is willing to share facts about this breeder with me.
Thank you,
Searching
It's not a them it's a her. Kathy Babbitt. Here's the basic rundown:

She has bred 3 litters and produced some champions. So have a lot of people.

The most concerning part about her short history in dobermans has been the trouble she has caused and the lies she has told. Case in point, the Katoba vs Skaer lawsuit. The crux of the matter is SHE LIED. She got caught and had to pay restitution.

She has bred 3 litters and has had trouble with buyers in every one. The last litter she only was able to sell 2 and kept the rest. I think she finally had to place a couple but still has 5 of the 9. Red flag?

Let's not forget years and years of monetary judgements against her for defaults on loans and evictions. The most recent judgement is for over 62K. Yes, that's right, sixty two thousand dollars.

She is on the Washington State list for non payment of child support.

She was suspended for 30 days due to her behavior at the DPCA national in Topeka. She was expelled from the Puget Sound DPC (despite her website saying she "resigned")

No one in the PNW will touch her. She uses her Facebook pages and website to make herself look good and lure in unsuspecting puppy buyers. One has to see a red flag when a breeder can't get puppies sold even with the internet....that is because she has garnered a reputation that is spreading all over the country. She has also been removed from the DPCA breeder referral list due to her ongoing problems with the court system.

I am sure I have left out lot's more but I think you get the drift. All I can say is BUYER BEWARE.

Oh and for those of you that think this isn't real...I would be happy to direct you to websites and provide copies of documents I have.

One can only hope that Kathy isn't serious about having another litter. I do know she has paid a lot of money send several of those dogs to a handler, but champions or not that doesn't make her reputable. On the contrary.

So there you have it.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
That link shares nothing? I have no idea why the court case was started and there is no website with facts so... care to share? As I have seen DT'ers tend to stick together and the whole story might be misconstrued....

Looking at their website.. they seem to do all the testing etc and have nice dogs.. I would buy from them personally, what in fact makes you feel uneasy about them?
Look closer, health testing isn't current.

You'd buy from Kathy based on what? A website?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts