Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forum but have been browsing for awhile. We are looking into getting a puppy and their is a breeder in Alberta Canada with the Kennel name Karlee dobermans? They have just had a litter and crop/dock their pups (which is what we are looking for) The breeders name is Gary Lee.

Doesn't anyone have any info they can give me? Anyone have or met any of their dogs? Any info would be great appretiated!

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
It looks like they are members of the Alberta Doberman Pinscher club and had their litter posted on the club's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaDobermanPinscherClub/). You could probably contact the club, but that's a good sign. I found what I think is their website (http://karleedobermans.com/)...doesn't look totally up to date but the information on it is promising and it would make me interested in contacting them to know more. It seems like they would be worth contacting.

Reactions: dogdays

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forum but have been browsing for awhile. We are looking into getting a puppy and their is a breeder in Alberta Canada with the Kennel name Karlee dobermans? They have just had a litter and crop/dock their pups (which is what we are looking for) The breeders name is Gary Lee.

Doesn't anyone have any info they can give me? Anyone have or met any of their dogs? Any info would be great appretiated!
I know Gary Lee--I've actually known him for close to 25 years. Don't hardly ever see him any more since I haven't shown a dog in Canada since around 2005 or so. But he's a reasonably well known Canadian show breeder and has been breeding for years.

I've like some of his dogs a lot--and some not so much but he just breeds a slightly different type than I prefer.

I wouldn't have a problem with getting a dog from Gary if I liked the parents and the pedigree.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I am also inquiring about Karlee Dobermans. Has anyone been in contact with him? I have been calling but have yet to get through. I would like to know if he has any pups left and the sex of what may be left.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Thanks for the reply! When you say a slightly different type what do you mean?
Just that--what Gary was breeding when I was still showing in Canada frequently were dogs (and I really only paid a lot of attention to his males because I only keep males) who weren't quite as well angled in shoulder or hindquarters than I prefer.

Difference breeding lines vary from each other--tends to depend on what the breeder is most interested in. Some of Gary's dogs were enough like what I prefer that I'd have considered one.

You tend (or at least most of the long time breeders or exhibitors tend to have things they can live with and things that they cant') I want a really good head--and that's a sticking point with me--I know a lady whose been showing (and in her case breeding as well) Dobes as long as I've been showing them Heads aren't as important to her as they are to me--bone and substance is a sticking point with her. What people have for preferences tend to either be what they've had in their dogs in the past of what those dogs in the past have lacked

So I look for good heads, dogs that are pretty curvy (really good front and rear angulation), good toplines and proper croups. I'll forgive some things but I'm very likely to make the quality of the head the final decision point with me.

I know another breeder who will forgive a variety of croup faults that I couldn't deal with--I passed on a puppy I grew out for a breeder because his croup was just plain too round--not impossibly bad but not quite right. He could have finished--stunning head, neck and shoulders--nice rear angulation--a lot of presence and attitude (which I want to see in a show prospect) But the croup was just plain too off for me. It was too off for the breeder I grew the puppy out for--he went to a great pet home. If it had been the other breeder--he'd have kept him and showed him, probably finished him successfully specialed him too

Sometimes it's just the little things that make one person want to take home one particular puppy as opposed to another. It's all about the difference in details.

PS I just went back to Dobequest and looked up Am /Can Ch Karlee's Victim of the Game--Stetson--he was whelped in 1994--and I really liked him a lot--but practically every dog behind him on both sides were dogs and bitches I liked a lot. There's a picture of him on his Dobequest page. Actually when I looked at the picture I looked back through Stetson's pedigree and realized that probably the things I liked best about him had something to do with a dog of mine that was back there about 6 or 7 generations.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
Things that dobebug is mentioning are really not things that would likely matter to most people looking for a nice pet puppy, for what it's worth, dogdays. Certainly even many of us that have "just pets" maybe prefer a different "type" or "look" within the different lines of breeders - you can see there some variation among good breeders of the look of the dog...but if you are looking for a nice companion I think what she's saying is that they are breeding nice dogs and she would endorse them, even if they weren't breeding exactly her "type" of show dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts