1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Dunno about gatorade,but that stuff sound good bcuz Tia never seems to want to drink at shows she is always to busy "seeing" other dogs to drink.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sounds like its good stuff. How often should our dogs drink water? Princess only drinks when she has been out or when she has been chewing on a bone or something. If this gets her to drink more water (and if its necessary) than I wouldn't mind getting it.

Also don't mean hijack the thread but is the "grain free rubicon dog food" any good? From what I read it sounds high quality and pretty complete. Just wondering what you guys thought about that.

Naveen

·
Banned
675 Posts
Just yesterday my vet told me it was okay to give Gatorade to one of my dogs who is sick. She suggested Pedialyte but I know my dogs don't like it, and I already had Gatorade in the fridge and the vet said it's okay. But I don't know if dogs like the tast. I gave it to Hayley in a syringe, just in case because she is sick and dehydrated. But if it's safe for her, it should be safe for a healthy dog.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
MrDesi said:
Also don't mean hijack the thread but is the "grain free rubicon dog food" any good? From what I read it sounds high quality and pretty complete. Just wondering what you guys thought about that.

Naveen
I don't know anything about the brand you mentioned, but I've fed two different kind of grain free dog food..a kibble (Innova Evo) and a dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen). I think both are excellent products, and my dogs did well on both.

The Evo kibble should be fed with a few cautions: I wouldn't feed it to a growing puppy due to the high protein content. And you have to be careful how much of it you feed to adults-the fat content is considerably higher than most kibbles, so dogs can pork out on it really fast

·
Registered
602 Posts
Murreydobe said:
I don't know anything about the brand you mentioned, but I've fed two different kind of grain free dog food..a kibble (Innova Evo) and a dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen). I think both are excellent products, and my dogs did well on both.

The Evo kibble should be fed with a few cautions: I wouldn't feed it to a growing puppy due to the high protein content. And you have to be careful how much of it you feed to adults-the fat content is considerably higher than most kibbles, so dogs can pork out on it really fast
Thanks.

Also, why "grain free".

Right now I feed Princess raw, and her morning meal consists of grain mix (buck wheat and oats)/vitamin C/vitamin E/B complex/blackstrap molasses/saflower oil/yougurt/(an egg and honey are added twice a week).

Naveen

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
MrDesi said:
Thanks.

Also, why "grain free".
I don't think dogs really need grains in their diet..and in premade foods, I think they're just cheap fillers that frequently are the cause of allergies.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Grain Free

I fed raw for years and never fed grain; not necessary. I agree with Murraydobe

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hey Mr.Desi,

How is she doing on the new food ?? I forgot to ask you. Keep in mind grains provide alot of nutritents and of course there is alot of debate to feed them or not. They are a fairly small part of the diet when feeding homemade, unlike some of the commercial foods.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Okie-dobie,

She is doing great. I asked because I read about the "grain free" kibble at the link mentioned by BIB.

I haven't had to take her to the vet since I switched over to your recipe (besides her shots). Her coat is shiny and thick. She is taking the food very well, dives right in every monrning and night. When I used to feed her Kibble (canidae) she would take such a long time to eat and sometimes wouldn't even finish her food. I am glad I went this route, thanks for the help and the recipe.

Naveen

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Sounds good for them, especially if they are under stress (example, hot weather, heavy exercise, etc...).

Duncdobe, I know you have posted a few times already, and several members already know you, but why don't you take a few minutes and introduce yourself and your dogs to the rest of the forum in our introductions area. Belated welcome to Doberman Talk!!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
MrDesi -
are you feeding the grain mix every morning?

If so, I wouldn't say that its a very small part of the diet (as Okie said) - that would be abouthalf of the diet, right?

·
Registered
602 Posts
doberkim said:
MrDesi -
are you feeding the grain mix every morning?

If so, I wouldn't say that its a very small part of the diet (as Okie said) - that would be abouthalf of the diet, right?
Kim-
I do feed Princess a grain mix every morning, which gets supplemented with (safflower oil, vitamin c, vitamin e, vitamin b, 1 raw egg 4 x a week, blackstrap molasses, and yogurt).

However, it is approximately 4oz of grain mix compared to 16oz of meat in the evening. So this would make it close to 1/4 of the diet.

Naveen

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Wow that's great MrDesi, I am glad she is doing so well. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts