Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using my prong collar the wrong way. Actually it was broken and I didnt even know it. I ordered a new one from ebay and my dog walks RIGHT by my side now. He learned very quickly not to pull. Sometimes he would forget then run right back to me.

Thank you so much for your support on here. Im so glad I joined this forum! I am learning so much!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
must feel nice!

I'm just starting to train mine to heel but I'm using a clicker.

My girlfriend is horrified by the looks of the prong collar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with her it does look scarey! But! I dont want my dog to get hit by a car or pull me in front of a car. So I am thinking of his and my own safety when using it. Eventually I will put him back on a regular leash.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Congratulations! It's great when they finally "get it" isn't it?

I have used a clicker while teaching Elka how to walk without pulling. I'm not sure I ever want to use a prong, but certainly not without working with a trainer as well, and I never did locate a trainer to work with in my town.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Im going to invest in one of those clickers myself. I see a lot of dog trainers use them.
I think they do.

I dig the clicker because it's helped me time things better; Elka is far more aware of what it is I'm reinforcing if I'm able to use the clicker. I also like it because, in a way, having it helps me relax when we're training, which in turn helps her relax, so things can be fun and we get more done without getting all wound up and stressed about "getting it right".

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I agree with her it does look scarey! But! I dont want my dog to get hit by a car or pull me in front of a car. So I am thinking of his and my own safety when using it. Eventually I will put him back on a regular leash.
When you decide to shift back to a regular flat collar, remember that you do actually need to train the loose lead walking, a lot of dogs will go right back to pulling when they realise the aversive punishment is gone.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Always remember to use a back up collar when using a pinch collar( I use a light weight nylon choke) sometimes a pinch will come apart.The Pinch needs to be right behind the ears to be effective a pinch may look evil but is safer than a metal choke chain. The dog will correct itself you do not have to give a correction.Oh if they take off pulling just turn and go the other way oh I'm sorry you were not paying attention if the dog yelps from getting pinched which is better any day than getting choked.Happy training.

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
Im going to invest in one of those clickers myself. I see a lot of dog trainers use them.
I love clicker training. That said, I would highly recommend doing some reading on how to actually cilcker train before you start. I see a lot of people who don't really know how to use the clicker properly, and they get frustrated because the dog isn't learning. Check out Karen Pryor's clicker website - there is a great library of articles on clicker training: Karen Pryor Clickertraining

Reactions: GingerGunlock
1 - 11 of 11 Posts