Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· just a member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I know its been ages since I posted anything, so better late than never. The girls are doing good. I have bookends now, as Alexis is about as tall as Nikita. Nikita continued to make progress with her recovery over the last year.

We hit a point where we might not make any more progress, but she has a comfortable and active life. We had a set back about a month after the last video I posted. We thought we were far enough out on her prednisone that we could stop it. But after 9 days, we went back to square one. Bad times. Had to get her back on it and started the weening process again. As of right now, she gets 10mg every 4 days. She's been stable on it for the last month. May try her at every 5 days to see if she can deal with that. Seems to be a fine line on her body to generate her own steroids and not rely on the prednisone anymore. We'll see where we can get to, but as for now she is still living an active life. She has to play fetch everyday now, granted it's not as long as it use to be. Her and Alexis still wrestle like in their videos but just not as long. Just happy where we got too and trying to make baby steps as much as we can. Enough of the typing and here are the pics.

Nikita & Alexis posing

Looking quite uninterested with the camera

Lounging on the patio

A regal Nikita

Alexis on patrol

Nikita patroling

Alexis with ears up...

· joie de vivre
11,466 Posts
The girls look gorgeous!

I'm glad to hear Nikita is making progress, however small and slow it may come. She's a lucky girl to be loved so much and cared for so well.

Reactions: Sherryh and Adara

· just a member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and well wishes for Nikita. It is so good to see some old friends still here and all the new ones joining in. It truly has been a long journey for Nikita and it will continue. I'm so happy we made it this far and any more improvements is just a bonus to us. I do have to say, I was never a believer in acupuncture, but in this case, it has made all the difference with her recovery. She still goes for them about every six weeks now. You can definitely see that this helps out. As for the baby step process, we know she will never fully recover from this and Mrs K and myself totally accept this, but we are thrilled of what we have now. Its been a year and half since her operation and back then her recovery was dismal and not encouraging. She has exceeded the expectation of the surgeon's grim outlook and is living life on her terms.

Even with the limitations, she doesn't let it slow her down. It never ceases to amaze me the spirit this breed has. When it fits her, she still will take off to chase the deer from the property line as if nothing is wrong with her and that is the reward we need to know we are on the right track. Her spark continues to glow brightly.

Thank you for the nice comments of the house. We did a lot of work on the patio this year and last year. We added the covered porch are and had the whole patio are reworked to correct a few drainage issues. We didn't alter the look so much, but did re do all the steps areas to add a different look. And I am finally getting my Mrs K approved man cave in the basement. Hoping to have it completed in a few months. We are going with an old Irish pub theme, so lots of dark stained wood, a new bar and billards room. The major construction is done and now the painting and flooring is up next. Waiting for the bar top and mantles to be built.

Thanks again everyone.

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Good to see you again, Kratty! Glad to hear Nikita is doing better than was thought she would be able too. They both look good and healthy.:)

Be sure not to forget me on the opening nite of your man cave pub!!! Or at least show us some pictures of the opening party.

If life gets rough and you get thrown a Jeffery, rub the furry wall!!! You do have a furry wall don't you??? You really need one for some peeps!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.