Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st time sending money overseas. I am praying all goes well :) ... litter just opened their eyes not too many days ago. Vera seems so wonderful and was so patient with me during my couple 1st trials at sending money to her. (Technology isn't my friend lol) ...this is my 2nd dobe but my 1st working lines dobe. I got to pick of the litter out of the females so i picked the largest and the loudest haha. I am not as nervous about liparland because of all of the good reviews that i've seen before contacting her. And plus she seems so wonderful!
What size collar was your lipar in when you picked them up at 3-3.5 months? I want to start shopping lol!
I hope im on the correct forum. Im new! Second post ever. Lol. I'll try to attach a pic of my new girl (to be).
P.s. are her females pretty large? 80+ pounds? Just curious.
Thanks in advance for your kindness and comments!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Comfort
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Comfort

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats! I can't comment on the breeder but noticed website down going from their facebook link? That is one cute wrinkle

How will it work? They do the cropping/docking if you opted for that? When will she be home? In any case being Euro and biggest of the females your pup can hit the 80+ pound mark easily. I have a Euro male at 5 months already at around 60lbs!

Now that it's sorted you can get sorted with all you need for her, read up for latest, etc. etc. Oh, and most importantly sleep while you can!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Good luck on your puppy. However, Liparland is a Euro show line breeder and not a working line Dobermann breeder. Also, picking a puppy at such a young age is like a shot in the dark. You typically pick a puppy at 7-8 weeks or so, but since you cannot see them in the flesh and you are not experienced with Dobermans, you would be better off describing what you want in a Doberman and let the breeder select the one for you that best fits your desires. She sees them a thousand times more than you can. Are you getting the dog for a specific purpose, or is it just a house pet?

Again, good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C
Congrats! I can't comment on the breeder but noticed website down going from their facebook link? That is one cute wrinkle

How will it work? They do the cropping/docking if you opted for that? When will she be home? In any case being Euro and biggest of the females your pup can hit the 80+ pound mark easily. I have a Euro male at 5 months already at around 60lbs!

Now that it's sorted you can get sorted with all you need for her, read up for latest, etc. etc. Oh, and most importantly sleep while you can!
Cropping and docking (and also says fully healed in contract too) come with her, papers, microchipping, shots, and appropriate socialization for her age were all in the contract and i feel like theirs more I'm missing. And yes i noticed that too. But i went to her Instagram. I based her realness off of this forum. And she seems nice!
Someone linked her Facebook here YEARS ago.
She breeds working and show quality.
:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Again not knowing about this breeder and your experience Kansadobe made a very good point. Picking out one so young is a shot in the dark on her personality / temperament traits. If there is specific needs and what you will be wanting out of her you should get back in touch with the breeder so they can make sure you get the best one for that.

Liparland should be able to match the best suited. You may not get the 'biggest' of the litter, but all will get a very large size but more importantly make things & training a lot easier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck on your puppy. However, Liparland is a Euro show line breeder and not a working line Dobermann breeder. Also, picking a puppy at such a young age is like a shot in the dark. You typically pick a puppy at 7-8 weeks or so, but since you cannot see them in the flesh and you are not experienced with Dobermans, you would be better off describing what you want in a Doberman and let the breeder select the one for you that best fits your desires. She sees them a thousand times more than you can. Are you getting the dog for a specific purpose, or is it just a house pet?

Again, good luck.
Also, i missed part of your question (apologies), I am getting into showing again. I did 5 years ago with chihuahuas (i was just the handler),but i want to get into more serious showing (not traveling around the USA serious, but whenever they are nearby. Also, mostly just to have to love though! I have 5 acres of free run for her and my current one and i absolutely LOVE excercize and running on our back roads so I am sure she will love this too! :) also thank you for your kindness...so far i really like this forum. Adults are just that...adults. Not trolling or finding fault in any word they can to automatically label you as lesser than them. Like Facebook (groups etc). Conversations can be informative and still kind :) , so thank you! The same goes for the other commenters too :) ...
Lastly, i just received more photos of her and the litter with momma (Dominica) .
Again not knowing about this breeder and your experience Kansadobe made a very good point. Picking out one so young is a shot in the dark on her personality / temperament traits. If there is specific needs and what you will be wanting out of her you should get back in touch with the breeder so they can make sure you get the best one for that.

Liparland should be able to match the best suited. You may not get the 'biggest' of the litter, but all will get a very large size but more importantly make things & training a lot easier.
She did. But also gave me the option after, to choose. I went with the one she chose. I just meant that i actually was lucky enough to have first choice out of the females so they were all still there. She is the largest and the loudest lol. Also, thank you (and other commenters) for being kind. Its nice to have adults sound like adults and say what is on their mind, but not have to do it with bad taste or try to find fault in the poster (myself in this example) automatically etc. Like we've all seen before. For example Facebook groups. I am really starting to like this forum! And yes this is my first time buying outside of the US. My doberman I already have, was only a 7 hour drive ea way. I discovered liparland and trusted sending money to Serbia due to the 95+% (at least that ive seen) good reviews i stumbled upon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry i didnt think my reply sent, so I re typed a similar one.
Still figuring this out lol. Im in my late 20s but Technology is NOT my friend, like it's supposed to be LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good to note and glad that one worked out with the biggest! Hope you stick around and share some pictures when she's home & progress.

One more thing, she still has her tail? Guessing she will be getting the anesthesia for both tail & ears? Glad she'll be socialized while on the mend!

To your shopping list, she will grow like a weed... a loose fitting harness will likely need to be loosened in a week from getting too snug! In a month you may need a larger one... so I suggest using any old ones you may have about or even used. Due to some prone Dobie health issues like wobbler I only use a collar for tag(s) and a little protection.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Seconding what Kansa said. These aren't working lines, they are Euro showlines, their temperament and drive ranges a lot, just like Am Showlines. Some are very couch potato-y and some have a lot of gas in the tank. You should be fine. Regarding size, the FCI standard states 35kg as a weight limit for females that's about 77lb, anyone breeding intentionally out of standard for larger females should not be considered, imo.

Also size at birth has little to no bearing on adult size. My smallest male and second smallest puppy overall (the other male was 115g larger at birth) by 8 weeks was the largest puppy in the litter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seconding what Kansa said. These aren't working lines, they are Euro showlines, their temperament and drive ranges a lot, just like Am Showlines. Some are very couch potato-y and some have a lot of gas in the tank. You should be fine. Regarding size, the FCI standard states 35kg as a weight limit for females that's about 77lb, anyone breeding intentionally out of standard for larger females should not be considered, imo.

Also size at birth has little to no bearing on adult size. My smallest male and second smallest puppy overall (the other male was 115g larger at birth) by 8 weeks was the largest puppy in the litter.
Awesome thank you for the info! And yes i guess my description of her wasnt a good one lol. Right now, where she is SO young and so far, those are the only characteristics i noticed to describe her lol. I just meant i know she should be a good size because her parents (even momma) looks a little larger than avg. Not that that matters first. Obviously assuming she is in health and build first. But I was just excited to share is all. I see it came off a lot different than i intended but i also thank all of you for still being kind either way :) ... Also, V. did allow me to choose (just because out of the females, I happened to i guess be the first or contacted at the right time) BUT she did make it clear which one as of at that time, that she would urge to be the best for my intentions) and of course I trusted her more than myself. I do have experience BUT nowhere near what she does, plus this is her line so even more reason to go with her opinion lol. My girl just happened to be the largest and the loudest out of each one shown to me lol. I mean when they all have the same markings for the most part, how else can I describe a newborn puppy right now haha. So i apologize for how it came off. This is my first time with Liparland, but I do have another dobe (a pup also) , and we had dobes when I was growing up but they weren't technically mine lol. I was considering an altobello as they had some left, as well. But in the end, i chose liparland as I wasn't familiar with either so i went off what lines i had SOME familiarity with and mostly the talk on here. :)
I hope everyone has an awesome day! Its finally cold like fall over here in the East USA now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to note and glad that one worked out with the biggest! Hope you stick around and share some pictures when she's home & progress.

One more thing, she still has her tail? Guessing she will be getting the anesthesia for both tail & ears? Glad she'll be socialized while on the mend!

To your shopping list, she will grow like a weed... a loose fitting harness will likely need to be loosened in a week from getting too snug! In a month you may need a larger one... so I suggest using any old ones you may have about or even used. Due to some prone Dobie health issues like wobbler I only use a collar for tag(s) and a little protection.
Yes i noticed that too. But my contract states she will come docked and cropped so I am assuming anesthesia as well. Which, I guess since she will be under, might as well. I know breeders go different ways on that. My other pup had his done with it being tied off and i ended up needing it fixed once he was under for his ears.
I asked V to make sure she is coming cropped and cut and she confirmed.
Also, yes! I'll be updating as she grows! I recieved about 30+pics and a few vids right after i posted this. But she is the same age basically, so I didnt bother posting again, .....yet haha.
Thank you for your kindness and for chatting with me!
I have to learn more about this forum.
:)

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I haven't heard good things about this breeder, going to their website I see little to no health testing. Did they show you copies of their holter monitors and echos? I glanced at a few of their dogs pedigrees and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole, far too much DCM for me. Altobello, fedor,...nope, nope, nope.

If you want to get into showing I would suggest starting with an american showline dog.

If you have another puppy I'd also suggest waiting until that dog is at least 18mo. before getting another one to avoid littermate syndrome.

Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't heard good things about this breeder, going to their website I see little to no health testing. Did they show you copies of their holter monitors and echos? I glanced at a few of their dogs pedigrees and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole, far too much DCM for me. Altobello, fedor,...nope, nope, nope.

If you want to get into showing I would suggest starting with an american showline dog.

If you have another puppy I'd also suggest waiting until that dog is at least 18mo. before getting another one to avoid littermate syndrome.

Good luck.
I didn’t realize you had to wait till eighteen months! My mom got a dog when mine was six months but they were pretty much separate all the time. Good info to know 😅

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,181 Posts
I like to wait 2-3 years before adding another. It helps to have the first one well-trained before adding in a puppy--puppies learn quite well from older dogs, and it's kinda nice when the older dog is teaching them the right stuff.

And it seems like my dogs have to get to 2-3 before they are dependably trained. 😉

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Wait, you have another puppy? How old is the other puppy? Male or female?
He is almost 10 weeks. They will be close in age. We've got a nice farm. We wont be getting the female until sometime in December at its earliest. And to answer ahead of time both are getting fixed. :) . Male will be getting fixed first though. No breeding is happening inside (or out) of our home. :) Just love! ...and lots of play time and some showing when shows are around. Nothing big.
Ive never had less than 2 in our home as a kid and a teen. So now that ive got my own place and the finances and time, I have finally decided to own. I prefer close in age so I can get through the puppy phase together with them lol.
My other is from the states. Not a liparland.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
The issue is littermate syndrome. A close age gap in dogs is not the same as in children (get through the diaper stage in one blow). When puppies are close in age, issues can arise. Do some research.

Additionally, I would be wary of the breeder. No discernible health testing to help genetics, lots of DCM and Altobello dogs? To me, after getting educated by the experts on DT, it would not be worth the risk.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The issue is littermate syndrome. A close age gap in dogs is not the same as in children (get through the diaper stage in one blow). When puppies are close in age,
We have a pretty good collection of articles and comments about Littermate Syndrome you might want to look over:

(1) Absolutely excellent article on littermate syndrome | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)
Thank you! Always happy to take another look!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts