Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nox is showing off his new manicured paws. He is getting better now and not resisting as much ;)

Is it me or do the end nails grow faster than the rest?

After his manicure he gets mr stuffy to beat on!

And of course a random pic! I can't believe how adult he looks :p

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the same problem with the outside nails getting longer than the inside nails. I think it's because they don't contact the ground as directly as the inside nails, so they don't get as much natural wear. I dremel, too, and Dylan's nails are about the same length as Nox's, but it's always a struggle to keep those outside nails as short. Nox's nails look great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem with the outside nails getting longer than the inside nails. I think it's because they don't contact the ground as directly as the inside nails, so they don't get as much natural wear.
I can second that.

I never have to cut my dogs nails really though. I think it's because I go for a lot of walks and runs on the cement (I live in the city).

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem with the outside nails getting longer than the inside nails. I think it's because they don't contact the ground as directly as the inside nails, so they don't get as much natural wear. I dremel, too, and Dylan's nails are about the same length as Nox's, but it's always a struggle to keep those outside nails as short. Nox's nails look great!
Thanks! glad I'm not alone, I'm determined to get those outer nails short grrrr

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Very nice! He's a handsome boy. I find the outer nails stay longer (or maybe do infact grow quicker) than the other nails as well. I also have a harder time dremeling those nails than the other ones too. It's an awkward angle for me sometimes, though might help if my dogs would suck it up and quit jerking and fidgeting their feet. They get them done so often that they should be plenty used to it, but nope. They still hate pedicures and think I'm evil.

Reactions: hjgrl and NOX

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do you clip then dremel to smooth them? Or dremel only? The breeder kept his short and suggested that we have them done every two weeks. I feel like they are already starting to get kind of long and about ready for another mani/pedi.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Do you clip then dremel to smooth them? Or dremel only? The breeder kept his short and suggested that we have them done every two weeks. I feel like they are already starting to get kind of long and about ready for another mani/pedi.
You can clip/Dremel them as often as you like, just be sure to be aware of the quick. I do Chases nails every other day, they grow like weeds :rolleyesww:

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like to dremel Nox's nails every other day as well. When you dremel you just need to watch for a grey spot because that is the beginning of the quick. I usually do taps for less than a second, 2 seconds most because it gets hot and uncomfortable. Believe me I know I tested it out on my toenail one night :huepfenicon111:

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
I dremel about once a week for my dogs. Shanoa's nails are much shorter (and easier to maintain) than Simon's, because I've been doing hers regularly since she was young. Simon is a rescue and had pretty long nails when he arrived. I can't quite get them as short as I want no matter how frequently I dremel. We've reached compromise on the length :)

Reactions: NOX

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts
I know it sounds funny, but I have Ilka lie on her back to do her nails. She LOVES tummy scrithches, and that way, I can do a nail, scritch, do a nail, scritch.....

Reactions: NOX and Beaumont67

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I know it sounds funny, but I have Ilka lie on her back to do her nails. She LOVES tummy scrithches, and that way, I can do a nail, scritch, do a nail, scritch.....
That's how I do my dogs also. Hubby puts the Vizslas in his lap and has Flirt sit and leans over her for front and back feet. That looks too awkward but he's helping so he can do it his way :)

Reactions: NOX and Beaumont67

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ZeldaRules, I LOVE that pic. I've been debating on painting Gunner's nails :) I'm festive and was SO tempted to do them green and red for Christmas, green for St. Patrick's day, etc....I think I'm gonna go for it! He's a diva at heart anyways..he'll probably love it :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts