Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading some books I ordered a while ago because I wanted to start clicker training, but I was a little overwhelmed and wanted to do things the "right" way. Tonight I finally decided to give it a go. It's kind of hard because Rowan has already been through some basic obedience so he already knows a lot of the basic commands. A lot of what I have read suggests starting with something entirely new, so I wasn't sure where to begin.

We worked on shaping him to go to his bed and lay down. In less than 10 minutes I had him laying on his bed probably 5+ times(starting from about 10 feet away)!! Everything the books I read say are true...that it is so amazing to see that "ah HA" moment when your dog seems to get it and starts offering behaviors. This is going to be so cool.

I'm sure I am going to have a ton of questions along the way, but ultimately I wanted to start to help him learn "settle", firm up his "leave it" and recall to work on his social skills with other dogs and to improve his general obedience with distractions. We don't have the finances to be in class right now (I was recently laid off, but THANKFULLY just started a new job) so I want to make sure I am working with him at home until things get back on track.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post, I am just so excited and wanted to share :) Also, any tips or words of wisdom from more experienced "clickers" is much appreciated. Thanks :)

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Yay! Go Rowan!

101 things with a box (or whatever) is fun... Have a whole pile of treats ready, get your clicker ready then put down an object on the ground, click your dog for every different thing they offer with that object. Can be good to sit down first and write down different things, so you click for them all (sometimes when trying to think fast I won't click for pushing object with nose because she has just done a nose touch, if I write them down I remember to click for both things).

I like capturing too, it's fun! Elsie's latest trick is "work it", she looks over her shoulder like she is posing lol... I was doing shaping with her one night and she kept glancing at something on the floor behind her, so I started clicking for that... Eventually added cue and now she can "work it"!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay! Go Rowan!

101 things with a box (or whatever) is fun... Have a whole pile of treats ready, get your clicker ready then put down an object on the ground, click your dog for every different thing they offer with that object. Can be good to sit down first and write down different things, so you click for them all (sometimes when trying to think fast I won't click for pushing object with nose because she has just done a nose touch, if I write them down I remember to click for both things).

I like capturing too, it's fun! Elsie's latest trick is "work it", she looks over her shoulder like she is posing lol... I was doing shaping with her one night and she kept glancing at something on the floor behind her, so I started clicking for that... Eventually added cue and now she can "work it"!
Ha ha...so cute! I have the Karen Pryor book with 101 things to do with the box :) Maybe we will play around a little.

I think he is going to love this method of training because he is very bold and not so much biddable. When he thinks he is in control of the game and is invested we will get much farther I suspect ;)

Any tips on how to add the cue once you shape a behavior? That part seems a little confusing to me.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Ha ha...so cute! I have the Karen Pryor book with 101 things to do with the box :) Maybe we will play around a little.

I think he is going to love this method of training because he is very bold and not so much biddable. When he thinks he is in control of the game and is invested we will get much farther I suspect ;)

Any tips on how to add the cue once you shape a behavior? That part seems a little confusing to me.
First I get the behaviour how I want it by just clicking the thing I like (e.g. looking back and holding for a few seconds, not just quickly glancing at the floor) until she is just offering the goods, then I add a cue, if she does it (which she should as we have just been doing it) click + treat, do that a few times, and then only reward when she gives the behaviour when asked, so stop rewarding her for throwing the behaviour at me randomly.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Great job and you demonstrated exactly why I love clicker training.

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A book you might really get a lot out of is "The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training." I found it really, really helpful, as I started with other training methods and switched to clickers. Amazon.com: The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training (Dogwise Training Manual) (9781929242627): Gail Tamases Fisher: Books
Thanks...that is one of the books I've been reading! It is very descriptive and I have loved getting a pretty detailed idea of what to do/expect. I guess the next part is really just putting it into action!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts