Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, I noticed a nickel size lump on Nikita's right thigh. I thought it might be the start of a hot spot, but it got thicker and then got thinner every few days. Its right under the skins surface and does not seem to be attached to any muscle. She really did not pay any attention to it, but occasionally would lick it but did not open it by chewing on it. The hair has fallen out around it already. It looks like a small button under the skin.

Well, the vet looked at it and thinks its either a histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor. The vet is saying that it is common for young dogs to develope histiocytomas. These are benign and is usually resolve by themselves or you can treat with cortizone. A mast cell tumor will require surgery and then to biopsy it to determine how serious it is. Lets hope its not a mast cell tumor because this is the more serious of the lumps. They aspirated the lump and I should hear by Monday of the results.

Does anybody here have any experience with this in the past and can share some insight with me....

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yea Tia had one on the back of her neck at about fifteen months of age,of course we went to the vets straight away to find it was a suspected histiocytoma he gave her cortisone and anti-inflammatory drugs and it took quite a few weeks to clear, but clear it did.I know it's a bit of a worry but i'm sure that is what it is and will clear up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Raven has a lump on her leg, vet drained it and it was a fat deposit. It is not large about the size of a dime. Vet said not to worry about it just keep an eye on it incase it get bigger.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess is only turning two in April...and one time she had a small dime size lump on the back of her neck kinda in between in shoulder blades...and we got ourselves all worried we then realized that was where she got her rabies shot...just awhile ago...and so it must have been a reaction to the shot. I hope Nakita is healthy keep us updated :)
a HUG for Nakita!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Kratty said:
About a week ago, I noticed a nickel size lump on Nikita's right thigh. I thought it might be the start of a hot spot, but it got thicker and then got thinner every few days. Its right under the skins surface and does not seem to be attached to any muscle. She really did not pay any attention to it, but occasionally would lick it but did not open it by chewing on it. The hair has fallen out around it already. It looks like a small button under the skin.

Well, the vet looked at it and thinks its either a histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor. The vet is saying that it is common for young dogs to develope histiocytomas. These are benign and is usually resolve by themselves or you can treat with cortizone. A mast cell tumor will require surgery and then to biopsy it to determine how serious it is. Lets hope its not a mast cell tumor because this is the more serious of the lumps. They aspirated the lump and I should hear by Monday of the results.

Does anybody here have any experience with this in the past and can share some insight with me....
Histiocytomas are pretty common in young dogs. They're usually self curing, go away all on their own when they're ready. However, I did have one removed on my male..it was in a spot easy for him to reach and he was constantly chewing at it. It never came back.

Here's a link that discusses them and has some pics of what they look like.

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/woods/index.htm

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Oh Kratty, you must be so worried. Apollo has a lump in one of his armpits (murraydobe I am sure you know what the name of that body part is you are so smart about all this stuff) It is about the size of a golf ball and I almost had a stroke when I found it. Being as neurotic as I am we took him to the vet and he tried to aspirate it and nothing came up so he suspected it was just a fatty mass - which he said dobes are prone to. we need to have apollo's teeth cleaned - his previous owners were'nt into dental hygiene - and when we put him under for that we will have it removed.

I will say a prayer for you and Nakita, but I am sure all will be well.

cc

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everyone.....I had to call the vet last night just to find out the doctor, I saw, will not be in until Wednesday. I talked to another doctor and she was atleast able to give me the results. It looks as the results came back as inflammation. She did atleast confirm it was not a mast cell tumor, which is good news. When I questioned for more info about the inflammation and about the histocytoma, she pretty much directed me back to the doctor that I visited with. So it looks as if I will be waiting to talk to that doctor on Wednesday. Ugh.

In the meantime, I started applying the cortizone creme to the lump back on friday and it does look as it is reducing the size of the lump. Very slowly I might add.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final Results.....

Just heard from the vet about Nikita's results....The vet is saying that they saw hair particles inside the sample they collected. So this is indicating that the underlying hair folicle is producing oils in which is causing the mass on her thigh.

So this is just caused by inflammation. They recommend to continue using the cortizone creme I have been using since Friday. This morning, it does seem that it is working because the thickness of the lump has definately gotten thinner. It seems to also that it is not bothering her either.... Woohoo....

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
That is superb news m8, i am so glad ,You must be well relieved i know i was when we sorted the one on Tia.Like LD said give her a hug from us!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
So glad to hear that Nikki's doing better - I hadn't seen her at the dog park and was worried that it might be something more serious.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks JavasMom, I haven't been going as much lately. I did hear I missed you yesterday. I guess our schedules are alittle off...Maybe we need to coordinate this. Haven't seen Java in a bit and I bet she is all grown up by now...You should really post some pictures of her, she is such a darling.

Nikki has no lump left, it cleared up in about 10 days of treatments. Now waiting for the hair to grow back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts