Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but my search function does seem to want to work. We've always fed Brandy dry kibble from a raised bowl. Someone told us that we should be adding water to it and let it sit for 15 min as this helps prevent bloat. Their reasoning was that the food will already be puffed up when it enters the stomach. Does anyone else do this?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but my search function does seem to want to work. We've always fed Brandy dry kibble from a raised bowl. Someone told us that we should be adding water to it and let it sit for 15 min as this helps prevent bloat. Their reasoning was that the food will already be puffed up when it enters the stomach. Does anyone else do this?
No, I add a small amount of warm water to kibble and feed it right away. A good quality kibble really wouldn't puff up that much after being moistened.

There is no scientific evidence that raised feeders prevent bloat. The Purdue bloat study did indicate that raised feeders actually increases the risk factor for bloat by a significant amount.

·
Da Boss
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Murrey. We feed Blue Buffalo, so I guess I don't have to worry about the "puffing". Do you just add enough water to moisten the kibble?

Looks like Brandy's bowl will be on the floor from now on! Seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't....

·
Da Boss
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read the Purdue study. Very interesting...thanks for mentioning it.

·
Da Boss
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, sounds good...we'll just have to play around and see what she likes. Thanks again Murrey!

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Thanks Murrey. We feed Blue Buffalo, so I guess I don't have to worry about the "puffing". Do you just add enough water to moisten the kibble?

Looks like Brandy's bowl will be on the floor from now on! Seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't....
I used to feed our girl BB, back in the days when she'd turn my car into a rolling vomitorium any time we had to drive more than 20 minutes on the freeway & she'd eaten within 5 hours. BB unless it's improved a great deal since '08, does expand.

Just felt compelled to mention that in case you're really concerned about swelling kibble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts