Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo's ears are doing so much better. No more bleeding, and the edges are healing quite nicely. He's on his second round of taping, and they're now half way up. I have a feeling it might take a little longer to get the tips to stand cause they're so flimsy. But I also read somehwhere that when they're teething (he's losing his baby teeth now) the ears are slightly more weak so maybe that's why? It's so sad cause he's almost hairless because of the tape...but the hair will grow back :) I'll try to take some pictures when I unwrap them next Friday to clean and air them out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was wondering how things were going too! I'm glad you have everything strighten out now. Good luck!

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Ahh good luck! Just remember I was told that for everyday you leave the ears down while taping it could add up to 5 days to the length of time needed to make them stand. And yea the hair will grow back.

TD

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your concern! He has pretty much stopped shaking his head (definitely not nearly as much as before), but now his favorite thing to do is to rub his head against me as if he were a kitty. The tape seems to be holding a lot better this time though, and I'm much happier with the way things are going.

·
Registered
333 Posts
IloveMyDobie31
My vet strongly suggests the use of Pet-Tabs plus Pet-Cal. They prescribe double the dose (as per pound of body weight). Vet said calcium will help form the cartilage in the ears. I did this for my other 2 Dobies their ears are rock solid. Maybe the growth of the teeth pulls more calcium from the body or something.... Anyway, we took off the tape for good this past Saturday - her tops are a bit floppy too when she runs, although they stand stright up when she is still - and vet says keep her on the vitamins for another 2 months. She is 40-45 lbs and we were instructed to give her 3 of the Pet-Cal and 2 Pet-Tabs twice a day. If her weight increased to over 50 lbs to add an extra Pet-Cal per dose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts