Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Jumping

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chatterweb 
#1 ·
Holly jumps up on Me and everyone else that walks through the door and she doesnt quite for nothing. when she jumps on me on the couch I say holly OFF she'll go lay down for like 5 seconds then roam around and do it again a minute later and Im tired of saying No all the time to she just looks at me like whatever but sometimes after i tell her no or off really firm she goes to my bed and lays there for a minute the last thing i want is for her to be afraid of me

#2 · (Edited)
It tough, but definitely do-able to teach her not to jump. I say it's tough b/c it IS natural for puppies to do this. Wolf pups jump on their parents and packmates in the wild same as puppies jump on their mom and humans domestically. This activity is hardwired into their brains.

So with that understanding in mind, you simply have to show her that that behavior gains her NOTHING. Being that she is a doberman, and simply THE most intelligent breed there is, she'll pick up on it :)

Just try this although it may seem like it interferes with day to day life. Keep her on a leash when she is with you as much as possible. If you are watching TV, answering the door, walking around the house etc.... Every time Holly is relaxed and not jumping, praise her. Not wild hyper praise, just Good girl. When she jumps on you, you "can" pinch her toes (gently just for mild discomfort), or you can chose to ignore the negative behavior and as soon as she gets back on four feet, reward. It will take a while, b/c as soon as you reward her, her natural reaction will be to jump up on you again. But STICK with it, and she'll eventually piece the reward system together. Make up mock visitors with your friends after you explain to them how to react to her and when to acknowledge her, that is ONLY when she is relaxed and firmly on the ground.

The key is the reward when she is relaxed and on her four feet for her to figure it out and stay with the new behavior. Remember anything that works and works RIGHT for the dog isn't going to be a quick fix, so be patient and most importantly consistent.

Also make sure she is getting plenty of exercise and work, at that age, their brains are like sponges waiting to absorb! It's easy to get bored, and she has to learn to deal with it and settle, but it helps if they get to play and get the "edge" taken off. Also consider giving her something indestructible that she can have during "TV time" in the evening when she is being a pest. Whether it be a Kong filled with treats or a bone ( preferably NOT greenies or rawhides, even if you aren't comfortable giving her a raw soup bone, you can always boil it first)

Good luck,
Jess

#4 · (Edited)
crxman321 said:
Thanks for all the info jess I cant stand Her jumping all the time I'l let You know how this goes.

I hear ya, it's a tough stage, but you'll work through it. Better to deal with it now than still teaching her when she's 70 lbs.
We were supremely lucky with Lex, not once in her entire puppy hood did she jump on adults. But we did have to work with her on kids, she seems to sense they weren't high up on the "boss" scale and would mouth and jump on them.

If you stay consistant and everyone who comes into contact with her is consistent with your rules and training as far as the negatives and positives, I would venture to guess you'll see a difference in a few days.

No prob :)

Edited to add-- Keep up with firmly telling her NO in the same tone of voice also when she does this negative behavior in addition to everything else.

#5 ·
I would also try this for jumping...Everytime she tries to jump on you, turn your back to her. This will catch her off guard and tell her that you do not acknowledge this behavior. When she just stands there, give her praise. She will learn that just coming up to you and not jumping is the behavior you want.

You need to get everyone in your household to do this to really re-inforce this. By reprimanding after she jumps, really will not solve the problem because she already jumped and she may interpet something else for the reprimand. It is difficult to get others to comply with this request, because they will say its okay, I don't mind. Just ask them nicely to do this, because it may be cute as a puppy but at 60+ pounds it won't be anymore. Plus, she may knock over people and they might get hurt. I offended a few people when I asked them to do that, but it did help resolve that issue. Good Luck.

#6 ·
Lex and Kratty have given great advice, but I'd like to add this...

Chi is such a jumper! BUT from pretty much the beginning we've only allowed no contact jumping. She can jump until her legs fall off as long as one of those legs don't touch me :) She also knows that no matter how much she jumps, she's not going to get whatever it is she wants until she lays down. So although Holly is young, teach her "down" and as soon as she jumps, tell her down and then praise her. Odds are that she's jumping to get attention, saying "no" to her is giving her attention and you're inadvertanlty reinforcing this behavior. Turning your back or ignoring the bad behavior and reinforcing the good (like laying down) should work pretty quickly. Like Lex pointed out, she's a Dobe and as such is incredibly smart :)
Now you said if you very firmly tell her to stop or go lay down, she will go lay down on your bed? Good job! She's not scared of you, she's doing what you told her to do! :) Next time this happens, if I were you, I would wait a minute or two and then go in and praise the behavior with a treat or calm petting and cooing.
Having a "spot" for Chi has really helped to. Obviously, Holly is comfortable in your bed. Chi's spot is her bean bag chair (it's portable and can be moved around in the house). That is the place I take her when I want her to lay down and be good. Find a spot for Holly and just praise her like mad every time you see her in or on it. The kennel works well for this but isn't nearly as portable and is generally kept in one room. It wouldn't work for us like in the evening when were vegging infront of the TV in the living room and it's all the way upstairs inthe bedroom. Of course I could tell her to kennel up then but I want her around us, so I have her lay nicely in "her spot".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.