Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my blue female is 7 months now. Since we got her, she had the habit of headbutting you any time your head was low enough to hit. It was cute and seems to only coincide with her being happy, but it can be painful so we did what we could to break her from it. Just today, like any other day I went home for lunch to let her out, take her for a walk, and do some obedience training. On our walk we encountered a dog that was tied up. The instant she saw my girl, she rushed but just when her leash should have held her back it broke. I quickly jumped in front on my dog and kept the two seperated. In the end, they just did a lot of sniffing. the owner came out and was very apologetic and we were on our way. As soon as we get 5 feet from the house my girl starts jumping excited at me, like she is trying to headbutt me. It kind of caught me off gaurd since she hasn't tried this in a few months now, but this leads me to my question... was it jumping/headbutting in appreciation or am I giving her too much credit? Why do Dobes love to headbutt? I seem to read about it a lot.

Rich

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I do see things like that in my girl, when they think they acted correctly, they get all bouncy, bouncy in excitement.....The head butting thing, i haven't seen in mine yet. She does like to rub her head all over you, but doesn't head butt. Any type of action that they do and don't get told not to do that, its like saying do it to them......The SO never corrected her when Nikita would give her a dober nudge in the butt, now the SO and finds it annoying....Well, no action for us is saying it okay for them.....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
When you figure it out, let me know! Chi adds a lot of vocalization to her bouncy headbutting spells. She sounds and looks like she's attacking me when she's doing it. Not but a week or so ago, I had released her from a command we had been working on, she did it great, so I was very animated in her praise. She just went nuts. I actually had a guy walking past us ask if I needed help! He thought she was trying to eat me and I was trying to fight her off LOL!

·
Registered
323 Posts
GKar does the excited jumping but he is not trying to headbutt. He does it when he gets excited about doing something well like walking past a barking dog and ignoring it. His his more of a bounce than jump thou. He just seems to come streight up still perfectly level and try to lick me in the face. I have gotten a few headbutts from GKar, even one hard enough to split the skin about an inch right across my forhead. It was an accident while we were playing.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh we have that happen to us too!! ouch!! just think of Big Spirit!!!coming up at hubby.. head hits chins and teeth!! ouch!!! I just don't get it either! well if anyone figures it out let me know too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
OOOOOOHHHHHH, Sasha headbutts ALL the time!!!!! Alwaya when she is excited and wanting mom to play with her and cuddle her, only mom though never dad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
evry dobe our family has had has done this... it is not an intentional head but, it is them swinging there head and jumping around... i have learned to avoid most of em but it isnt intentional to hit, its just a hit out of there excited behavior..... try when she gets fired up and you see the head butts starting, to give her an easy girl, good girl e-a-s-y... this should calm down after teaching the easy word

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hubby used to wrestle and head butt with Cody all the time, much to my chagrin. Untill one day Jason's timing was off and Cody caught him right at his eyebrow with the bony point on his head.

Well after the bleeding stopped he had a shiner that lasted well over two weeks:haha: :haha:

Oddly enough, he never wrestled with Cody like that again, and hasn't started with Apollo yet either. hmmmmmmmm maybe we learned a lesson???

cc

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Chelsie and Tia do the headbutting thing to each other, to the point where she broke one of Tia's teeth, now being the show dog it really was not needed.
I now have keep to one or the other on a leash when we go for a walk
and take an exemption letter from the kennel club to every show.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Darmok has never headbutted, unless by accident. Once or twice, I've bent over to give her a kiss, and she came up at the same time and I got whacked! When she accidentally hurts me, she knows it right away (probably me screaming a few choice words is a dead-giveaway to her!) and she curls sideways and tries to get small and apologizes to me! Sasha IS a headbutt-er, though. Especially if I'm lying in bed. She always wants to snuggle up close, and then ~bang~ there's her rock hard head crashing into my face! She acts like it's a sign of love, so I cant really punish her, can I?? I just am very aware of any time she might do it now, and can hold her back before the hit happens!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts