Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped the kids off at VBS last night and brought Jordan for a ride with us and to sign them in and drop them off with their classes. It is all an outside area so I thought he might enjoy it. Jordan seems to love crowds as long as no one is touching him. He wants to be the one to choose who pets him. He'll walk up to somebody, gently touch them on the leg with his nose and sits when they reach to pet him. BUT.....if they reach over without him initiating contact he backs off with tail between legs. They are doing a jungle theme and some of the young teenage boys were holding a long bamboo walking stick and when one of them approached Jordan jordan backed off and barked. He quickly found somebody else to nudge with the nose so his trepidation didn't last long. There were some people that he allowed to approach him and he did like he was supposed to do and sit to let them pet him but it seems to be very selective and I can't find a pattern. It can be a man, woman, tall, short, whatever and he'll either feel comfortable or not. He is not threatened by children at all.

Okay, the point of my post. He ran into his second wheelchair last night. It was a young adult boy who was mentally and physically handicap. Jordan seemed to be magnitized to this boy. With all the comotion going on he walked straight to this boy and touched his nose to his leg and sat down by the side of his leg. The boy seemed oblivious to Jordan so Jordan layed his head on his lap and sat there. The boys caretaker bent down and pet Jordan on the neck and then guided the boys hands to pet Jordan the whole time that Jordan kept his head on the boys lap. This is almost exactly the way Jordan handled his first wheelchair encounter which was with an adult male that had all kinds of concoctions on his chair. Jordan doesn't seem phased by these at all.

I would love to get his TDI (after CGC of course) but I know he still needs tons of work on being reliable with other strangers. If they are vulnerable he gravitates towards them but with any other adults it is hit or miss.

Is it that he is just still very young and lacks confidence? Do I keep doing what I'm doing as much as I can? I don't see being able to leave him with a stranger for three minutes. He'll wine and cower the whole time I'm sure of it. Is there any specific training that he needs. Private lessons? He passed his ob1 class and I'm taking him to another kennel club that does the CGC and TDI testing after graduation. The new classes start in September and he'll be a year old in the middle of December. It is a year that they can take the TDI right? (I think I read that somewhere.)

Please tell me that somebody out there had a somewhat trepidous dog that got over it eventually. I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
hbwright;7 I don't see being able to leave him with a stranger for three minutes. He'll wine and cower the whole time I'm sure of it. [/QUOTE said:
You know it sounds like you are setting him up for failure. Dogs will act as we expect them too. I think you are on the right track doing what you are doing except you need to think much more positive about Jordan. Much, much more positive.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Linda. This is the one area that I have to work no probably more then he does. I try to relax and pass him off but I find myself looking back, nervous about how he is reacting. I certainly don't feel confident in leaving him alone with anybody else, not that I'm afraid of how they will do but afraid of how he will do. Meeting strangers with me at his side I'm fine with but handing him off I feel nervous at how he will react.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I notice that Petey is worse in stressful situations....if I get up tight...so what Linda says is true. We need to look like the leader....stand tall, and be confident....know that your Jordan will be fine.

Carol

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
they say stress goes right down the leash. it's great that he isn't phased by wheelchairs - that is a big weird unknown thing for many dogs. remember he is still a pup and looks to you, so don't worry about leaving him alone for 3 minutes now.

(Pollo got all pissed off at me at that part of the CGC and wouldn't even look at me when I came back- thank god it was the last part of the test!)

cc

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You are lucky on the wheelchair aspect, as I posted before Bumpy freaks at old people, canes...etc....so that is one hurdle you will never have to cross.

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
I think Linda and Codysmom hit the nail on the head, Jordan really wants to have a strong confident leader. The way you carry yourself says alot to him. Try getting him out as much as you can, social events, college campuses, parks, to just meet people and be in unexpected circumstances. Make this kind of outing something positive for yourself and him, try to not concentrate on how he is acting and enjoy yourself. If you've been around horses alot maybe you can transfer some of those tactics; handling a 1 ton animal with confidence is much like managing a fearful dog.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think it's amazing that Jordan is comfortable enough to approach a wheelchair and be so gentle with its owner. It sounds as though he is off to a good start. At 1 year he is still quite young and has a lot to learn.

Java isn't exposed to a lot of sidewalk traffic - we live in a semi-rural area, and the DP just doesn't give her the same type of socialization. Walking in downtown Alexandria on an early Sat evening exposes her to more human traffic. She does really well, but I also make sure not to get into too crowded an area where a) she might accidently get stepped on and b) we will create a problem on the narrow sidewalks when people with small children in strollers see us coming. Walking tall, praising her when we stop for red lights (I always make sure we obey the crossing signals) and offering the occasional treat makes these walks fun for her.

I know that Java would be happy to be handed off to a stranger - she has no problems going with the vet techs when I drop her off for boarding. In fact, she is so willing to go with a stranger that I sometimes worry that someone could take off with her and she wouldn't protest! I just hope that she goes with these strangers willingly because I am there and would react differently if someone broke into our house and tried to take her.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Example of nerves traveling down the leash.....last night I had to go to traffic court with my son, so hubby had to take Petey for his run. He had never taken him alone before. Well before he was even done with running Petey I received a text message that "my dog is annoying!" Petey managed to hurt hubby's knee, get poop on him (won't even go there with a description) not come when called(despite hubby offering pieces of hot dog), steal a baseball base from the field, run away with it and tear it into shreds, and then not get in the car to go home. Petey totally knew hubby had no control and took complete advantage of him. The other dog walkers who know us and Petey couldn't stop laughing! Hubby made their night!!! I'm sure I will get an ear full tonight when I walk Petey! The only thing I could say to hubby was....now you see why we have to leave him in the kennel when we go away? He said it is worth every penny!

I know your situation is different....but this goes to show you how the dog reads each of us. Must project and feel the behavior you want from Jordan!

Carol

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'm going to work on this. I want to say I'm confident in myself but not confident in Jordan but I'm reading and understanding that I'm just not confident. He is fearful and I'm fearful of him being fearful and he won't get over it until I do. I'm hoping that the new classes will be helpful that start in September. There will be more people per class as Jordans first class was very small. Great for one on one time but not so much socializing.

He does wonderful at park surroundings when it is not so crowded and can walk with me and ignore people. If we're stopped and a person is ignoring him is when he'll walk up and nudge for attention but if they offer attention first is when he's fearful of them. I try to keep slack on the leash so he doesn't feel the leash tense up but I know that I myself am leary and waiting for his reaction.

I think I may even go and sit with him outside my grandmothers nursing home. There are quite a few people that come outside and they have some great outside areas that people can bring the residents pets to come and visit. He is very used to me using the broom and doesn't react. Is there any way to get him used to people that might be using a cane?

Thanks y'all.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'm not saying I'm a 100% in the confidence area either! All of my past dogs just naturally looked to me as the alpha....including the wolf hybrid, I never had a problem with any of them~ever. The wolf dog was my college pet, and he didn't even need a leash, but that was back in the day in a small college town. My Weim UNO was very dominant, and he wouldn't ever leave my side, he had a huge prey drive, but would come immediately, even chasing a deer, if I called, no training necessary. Now with Petey...because of all I've read in the last few months....I've lost a bit of my confidence and wonder "what have I gotten myself into getting a large male doberman?!" I guess I've fed into some of the bad press about Dobermans, and now want to make sure my boy never behaves badly out in public. I forget that he is an 8 month old puppy, but the size of a full grown dog, and I freak out when he does something that looks aggressive because of his size, when in all actuality is him just being a silly puppy! Because of this forum, I want people to see that Dobermans are really great dogs, that there is no need to fear them. We have a long road ahead to bring up GREAT DOGS! One day at a time! Next year this time, you and I will have wonderful dogs we can brag about~think positive!

Carol

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll admit 100% that I've been lucky in the past. Mansen didn't have a fear of people even though he had every right too. Cleo was a nightmare when a puppy but grew to be such a lovely lady. Just spoiled puppy stuff. Mansen would walk right up to anybody, take their hand and lead them into our home. Cleo would go straight for the attack with her sharp tongue and loving spirit. She never met a stranger. They both made it so easy. I guess that after 2 dream dobies I'm up for the challange that Jordan is making me face.

Great thing that next year we can look back at these post and laugh at all the other people raising puppies going through what we are right now. LOL. See, I'm laughing already.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'll admit 100% that I've been lucky in the past. Mansen didn't have a fear of people even though he had every right too. Cleo was a nightmare when a puppy but grew to be such a lovely lady. Just spoiled puppy stuff. Mansen would walk right up to anybody, take their hand and lead them into our home. Cleo would go straight for the attack with her sharp tongue and loving spirit. She never met a stranger. They both made it so easy. I guess that after 2 dream dobies I'm up for the challange that Jordan is making me face.

Great thing that next year we can look back at these post and laugh at all the other people raising puppies going through what we are right now. LOL. See, I'm laughing already.
That is the spirit girl!!! Jordan is presenting you with a challenge you must need, because everything in this life happens for a reason! At least that's what I keep telling myself while wading through all the ****e thrown my way lately!!! Ok....I'm laughing too!

Carol ox

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
They do read us so well. I became acutely aware of this when I had my dobe/weim cross. I had brought him into work to weigh him on a big scale. I worked with three other women. When I weighed him and took him back into the office he went right up to the one I liked and wagged his tail. The second one came in and he sat down and let her pet him, the third one came in and he looked at her and growled. I though "oh my god, he is reading my mind." I was nice to all the girls but he knew what I was thinking. I have never forgotten that and what it taught me.

I think you are doing very well with Jordan in all that you are exposing him to at his young age. He still has a lot of learning to do and sounds like he is doing it well. Just try to be more confident in him, I know its hard, but you will get there.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
They do read us so well. I became acutely aware of this when I had my dobe/weim cross. I had brought him into work to weigh him on a big scale. I worked with three other women. When I weighed him and took him back into the office he went right up to the one I liked and wagged his tail. The second one came in and he sat down and let her pet him, the third one came in and he looked at her and growled. I though "oh my god, he is reading my mind." I was nice to all the girls but he knew what I was thinking. I have never forgotten that and what it taught me.

I think you are doing very well with Jordan in all that you are exposing him to at his young age. He still has a lot of learning to do and sounds like he is doing it well. Just try to be more confident in him, I know its hard, but you will get there.
You just reminded me of my Weim Uno.....I had this friend that I started having problems with....and really didn't like her anymore...well Uno started to dislike her dog even though they had always played together! Later after our friendship mended.....the dogs were fine all the way to Uno's death.

Carol

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh boy, I hope he isn't that intuitive. I'm in big trouble. LOL. So pretending to like somebody doesn't even work. JK really but I am seeing a lot more then I was before I posted this so I am so thankfull that I brought it up.

I've been saying that Jordan is the smartest dobe I've had (only Summer surpasses him and she is my mix) and definitely the most challanging. I'm up for it. I'm having fun actually. I just can't wait to see what we can do together.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Oh boy, I hope he isn't that intuitive. I'm in big trouble. LOL. So pretending to like somebody doesn't even work. JK really but I am seeing a lot more then I was before I posted this so I am so thankfull that I brought it up.

I've been saying that Jordan is the smartest dobe I've had (only Summer surpasses him and she is my mix) and definitely the most challanging. I'm up for it. I'm having fun actually. I just can't wait to see what we can do together.
'

If he is as smart as my Petey...he is that intuitive! Petey blows me away with his level of intelligence....none of my other dogs were this smart. He learned how to open all the doors in our house when he was only 4 months old! My Weim Uno never learned that! Thankfully so far he doesn't get into any trouble....so far....knock wood, oh boy shouldn't have said a thing....everything always comes back to bite me in the asse!!!

Carol

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have to block all the doors. He's worse then my toddlers. He hasn't figured out how to knock over all the bar stools we have blocking doors though. The doors are easy to open but man those things guarding them.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
When I was working with Buddy for his CGC which he past the tests. I only used my hubby,son,daughter-in-law & a friend down the street to hold my dog for the three minute out of site test. I was too chicken to just let anyone hold him did not want anyone walkiing off with him.
Patches mom

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
When I was working with Buddy for his CGC which he past the tests. I only used my hubby,son,daughter-in-law & a friend down the street to hold my dog for the three minute out of site test. I was too chicken to just let anyone hold him did not want anyone walkiing off with him.
Patches mom
Nervous Mommy :emo:
So you can use a relative or friend for this test, nice to know. Will be getting a pup next week so got to start learning all this stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts