Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had his first puppy play date kind of incidental yesterday and he had a blast with the 6 month old australian shepherd/lab mix. We'll be inviting them over to play much more often now where they can play, romp and be puppies in the backyard while the older dogs lay lazily and watch.

We also took him to the park today where he could be socialized after getting homework from the trainer I'll be using to socialize with 10 new people every day (especially men with hats, facial hair and deep voices). I didn't take pictures at the park because I wanted to be attentive to the kids and Jordan of course.

Here's some family pics. He's fitting right in and has made himself very much part of the family very quickly.

Wow, I really need to grab some play pictures. Believe me, he is not always sleeping.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
The last picture is adorable!!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Can't say for sure who's cuter Jordan or your daughter! He's a doll. I am so happy that everything has work out so well for you :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
He is really looking good. Grroooowwwing by leaps and bounds. Glad he is fitting in so well.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Very cute.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's a smart strategy, taking Jordan out often specifically to meet strangers.

Mensa gets out for that purpose only a couple times a week, so Jordan's ten people-a-day program should socialize him great.

I don't have kids, so when Mensa's out we try to expose her to as many kids as possible. It helps that she really loves kids.

Last week we came upon some kids riding skateboards and doing their best to tear the place up. I let Mensa run with them. The kid would jump over a flight of stairs, fall on his face, and then pet Mensa.

Now, I don't condone tearing up Churches with skateboards, but I was pursuing a different goal. I have a Dobie I need to socialize.

I look for the most hectic, chaotic places to take her, and so far nothing bugs her.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
He is definitely a cute little fella, I am glad to hear he is fitting in and getting on so well with summer :D

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cute. I hope you're not too attached to that couch! ;)
I've got to get my scanner fixed to show off a photo of what Cleo did to my couch from my taking a shower one time while leaving the door closed. My BIGGGGG mistake. Then, my neighbor watched her while we were out of town for a couple of days and she felt bad crating her when she left for a couple hours and left a 20 week old puppy out of the crate to come home to a whole arm eaten off my couch from where she already got it started. We were able to hide the first bit with a pillow, then we had to move to blankets. So far Jordan is very managable but I won't count my blessings yet.

I love the socializing idea. I would have never thought to that degree and I think he set the bar high to accentuate the importance. He talked with me like Jordan was my first dobie and I really did appreciate it. It's been a long time since I had a puppy.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shaishai, he is 16 weeks old and the ears and tail are staying. We contemplated the tail in a thread last week but I think he's been through enough to make him go through that just as a precaution. I'm really loving the tail even though Summer is not so sure. She seems to get the "tail end" most of the time.

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
I've got to get my scanner fixed to show off a photo of what Cleo did to my couch from my taking a shower one time while leaving the door closed. My BIGGGGG mistake. Then, my neighbor watched her while we were out of town for a couple of days and she felt bad crating her when she left for a couple hours and left a 20 week old puppy out of the crate to come home to a whole arm eaten off my couch from where she already got it started. We were able to hide the first bit with a pillow, then we had to move to blankets. So far Jordan is very managable but I won't count my blessings yet.

I love the socializing idea. I would have never thought to that degree and I think he set the bar high to accentuate the importance. He talked with me like Jordan was my first dobie and I really did appreciate it. It's been a long time since I had a puppy.

I think anyone who's ever had a puppy can share stories of destruction!!

Like you, it had been a lonnnnnng time since owning a puppy and our first was a retriever mix.. so this has been SOME ride, for sure.

Even with all of the mischief, vet visits and spent $$ we are totally enamoured with dobes.

(BTW.. I love the natural ears and tail!)

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it is a whole lot like children. You remember the toddler stages but you don't REALLY remember how they felt until you go through it again. It is a selective memory thing. Funny thing is the kids just think that puppies are born like miniature, well behaved dogs. Boy was it funny when they realized he is a real puppy. I've gotten them enjoying the training and they are so proud when he does something good like they just made it happen and stopped the world from exploding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts