Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the forum and to California. I'm looking to purchase a puppy ( non-show quality) and I came across Jonescrest in Paso Robles. Does anyone have anyinformation on this breeder that they can share? Thanks in advance for you comments:)

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
Literally the only things I found in a google search for Jonescrest Dobermans was a "this domain name for sale" page from Go Daddy, and a DobermanTalk thread from (I think) 2007. I don't now how to link it, but you should be able to find it if you do a forum search.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Sam, that links to an error message. :(
Poo, well all I did was typye in Jonescrest in the search box, there are about 6 thread that mention it and at least 3 that are specifically talking about it.

General consensus is No! walk away and save yourself heartache: mentions that puppies are unhealthy, and they are someone who is breeding to breed, no titles, testing, etc...

Reactions: Adara

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you everyone for your comments/suggestions, I greatly appreciate it! I think I'll continue to look around for a breeder.

That sounds like a wise decision. :)

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Registered
4 Posts
We love our Jonecrest dobie!!

We have a gorgeous 5-year old Jonescrest dobie. She's healthy as a horse, has the most beautifully cropped ears and the most gentle disposition of any dog I've ever been around. We met both of Bella's parents--her mother was a beautiful medium-sized award winner and her father a gorgeous beast from Brazil. People actually stop me on the street to tell us how beautiful our girl is. :)
Sorry others have had problems but I can't say enough good things about Dodie at Jonescrest and I would absolutely purchase another puppy from them.
I have looked for their website and can't find it either.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
We have a gorgeous 5-year old Jonescrest dobie. She's healthy as a horse, has the most beautifully cropped ears and the most gentle disposition of any dog I've ever been around. We met both of Bella's parents--her mother was a beautiful medium-sized award winner and her father a gorgeous beast from Brazil. People actually stop me on the street to tell us how beautiful our girl is. :)
Sorry others have had problems but I can't say enough good things about Dodie at Jonescrest and I would absolutely purchase another puppy from them.
I have looked for their website and can't find it either.
We are glad you are happy with your dobeman, but that doesn't make them a good breeder.

It sounds like they are still breeding the same dogs together when ethical breeders have to seach for a suitable dog to breed to their bitch, study pedigrees and health histories. When a breeder breeds the same dogs together year after year or their stud dog to all their bitches, they are only breeding for the money, nothing else!!!

Do you have a pedigree of your bitch? There was a post in one of the old threads that made reference to a Thunder being in one of the pedigrees as a grandfather. I believe it was grandfather to the bitch maybe. This dog threw cardio, DCM, to almost every pup he ever sired and they had told that poster there was no cardio in their doberman's lines.

Welcome to the forum and I do hope you stick around, read up and gather all the education on dobermans you can.:)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I liked Doty she seemed like a nice person.

When I came back into Dobermans after being out for awhile...though I still had them at home not showing, I looked at her website then for a pup.

I had her send me the pedigrees and found Thunder there as well.

She told me she had no cardio in her dogs. That was the first kicker because all dobermans have cardio nowdays. What the real issue is is whether or not that dog strongly reproduced it. Thunder did for sure. I don't know of any puppy he produced not dieing from it.

So Thunder is someone I'd stay away from. I passed and looked somewhere else.

I'm sure now that Thunder is way burried back in her pedigrees. But breeding dogs, when you own both is sort of a kicker to me. Although, I may obtain a bitch to breed someday to my puppy dog from Blue, its not the same as just warehouseing dogs and using them.

There is a difference in creating your own line, and going out, and back in, but breeding for convience is a different matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's obvious that you're an experienced Doberman person and I respect your viewpoint. I have no allegiance to Jonescrest and came to this site to garner a bit more Doberman information.

We do have a certified AKC pedigree and it cites that her mother's side is full of champions (5 of 6). Her father is Double D Rock on and mother is Chados Divine Promise.

Being new to the breed we did research through the DPCA and other general websearches. We also went a couple of times to visit with the puppies to see how they interacted with small kids, cats, other puppies, and us. All were positive.

We'll stick around here to get more info as we begin our search for an additional dobie-child.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know this pedigree. The father was shown extensively but never went anywhere. He is from Brazil. The dogs behind his pedigree in Brazil are unknown to me.

The mother's pedigree, I know quite well. That is where your problem with cardio my be.

But I'd like to say again...there is none without fault. I can look into anyone's pedigree and find the dogs if they are known.

As of late, I'm very impressed with these big name dog owners being truthful, which then helps the future of the breed by folks being aware and selecting accordingly.

What is the worst thing of course is a dog that puts his stamp of cardio on all his or her puppies. That is a tough question, that you do not find out until after the fact.

My advice is to love your dogs while you have them. Anyone who's been in the breed long enough has had the cardio experience. If its not cardio, its cancer.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I liked Doty she seemed like a nice person.

When I came back into Dobermans after being out for awhile...though I still had them at home not showing, I looked at her website then for a pup.

I had her send me the pedigrees and found Thunder there as well.

She told me she had no cardio in her dogs. That was the first kicker because all dobermans have cardio nowdays. What the real issue is is whether or not that dog strongly reproduced it. Thunder did for sure. I don't know of any puppy he produced not dieing from it.

So Thunder is someone I'd stay away from. I passed and looked somewhere else.

I'm sure now that Thunder is way burried back in her pedigrees. But breeding dogs, when you own both is sort of a kicker to me. Although, I may obtain a bitch to breed someday to my puppy dog from Blue, its not the same as just warehouseing dogs and using them.

There is a difference in creating your own line, and going out, and back in, but breeding for convience is a different matter.
She meant all dobermans have cardio in their lines.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
This dog threw cardio, DCM, to almost every pup he ever sired and they had told that poster there was no cardio in their doberman's lines.
While there certainly was a high incidence of DCM in the dogs tracing to Thunder, I do not think it correct to say "almost every pup". You don't know that, and as a matter of fact there have been some cardio free long lived dogs sired by Thunder as well. We just don't know the statistics, especially on the pups sold as pets. While I am no fan of that pedigree for the reason you stated, among others, I want comments to be fair and correctly presented.

No offense.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
What was "Thunder's" registered name?
Ch. Soquel's Distant Thunder. Our Past - Thunder | www.soqueldobermans.com

ETA: He was bred (or co-bred?) by Murreydobe.. and I think her friends could comment on it, but I remember her saying he was one of the reasons she quit breeding. I think he passed when he was.. 6?

ETA: No, dobequest says he was 10 when he passed away. I was mistaken.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I remember joining this forum, seeing a picture of Thunder and thinking he was one of the most stunning dobes I had ever seen. Made an impression on me.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
While there certainly was a high incidence of DCM in the dogs tracing to Thunder, I do not think it correct to say "almost every pup". You don't know that, and as a matter of fact there have been some cardio free long lived dogs sired by Thunder as well. We just don't know the statistics, especially on the pups sold as pets. While I am no fan of that pedigree for the reason you stated, among others, I want comments to be fair and correctly presented.

No offense.
Of course that's correct. I was thinking of only the dogs listed as his prodigy on Dobequest as I did research all them several years back. Plus all but one of his littermates died of cardio. The other died from swallowing a stone or something, so they never knew if it would have developed dcm or not. No offense taken. :) Cheryl said those lines were a cardiac minefield. She was very open about it, unlike some others. I am glad she had Conner as her last red boy.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Dobequest is only as good as the one who lists it. I see many people put too much stock in Dobequest. I've seen cause of death changed on dogs from time to time...from cardio, to bloat etc. (But years later down the road)

I'm quite impressed as of late of the major name folks disclosing their stud dogs' demise. That makes me feel real good about their honesty.

In the past many cardio deaths were kept secret. So maybe things are changing.

The people who owned the recent dogs announced it for everyone to know. This is what needs to occur if we really love this breed. I am impressed from what it use to be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts