Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyrah's new jolly ball. She loves it! or maybe I should say loves to chew the rope. It lasted all of a day and a half. I knew she would chew thru that rope. LOL I knew I could replace it. I went to the hardware store and purchased 12' of rope and learned to tie a monkey knot. That took about 5 tries. Whew! Was happy when I finally got it. Then I braided it, threaded it thru the hole and knotted it all up on the other side. Now it is a supervised toy. Also when there was no rope she bit thru the plastic and had her bottom tooth stuck in it for a second.

For those of you who have the jolly ball with the handle on it. Does it last? Is the handle a chew toy? Is it floatable? Can they puncture it?

Here is a video of her playing with it when I first brought it home.

FFY8v8OxOOc&feature=plcp&context=C321006eUDOEgsToPDskKAotzX6177FKQ696eYPReX

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh, how fun! I'm also super jealous of your monkey knot tying skills; I think they're super cool but every attempt I've made at learning (including watching a step by step video) has failed.

I've thought about getting Elka a Jolly Ball, or an Instructoball. No idea about the floatability, but I'd assume the Jolly Ball would?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, how fun! I'm also super jealous of your monkey knot tying skills; I think they're super cool but every attempt I've made at learning (including watching a step by step video) has failed.

I've thought about getting Elka a Jolly Ball, or an Instructoball. No idea about the floatability, but I'd assume the Jolly Ball would?
The one you put the rope thru is floatable. Not sure about the one with the handle. I am also now wondering if it will float since she put her teeth thru it. Go real slow with the step by step. play/pause/play/pause/play/pause/play/pause....LOL

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Careful with the rope toys. I have heard horror stories about them and obstruction surgery. The horses have jolly balls at the barn (the handle ones). They love them. One of the dog that has 2 "brothers" at the barn has one that is his. He does a search for it as soon as he gets to the barn. He loves them. It has puncture wounds but it is still a fun toy for Bo. He's a Gsd. He is now not allowed to play with the horse's toys. He has his own.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,323 Posts
Baron's favorite ball toys are Jolly Balls. He used to rip the handle off so I was very, very careful and he only got it when supervised. But he has gotten over that so now they last forever. They are the only ones he will chase.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Torque LOVES his jolly ball! I got it for him for his 1st birthday. He has the one with the handle. I don't know if it floats or not, his wouldn't at this point anyways. He has put about a million holes in the ball just from chewing on it and getting his teeth through it. My boss's destructive lab chewed off a piece of the handle part so now there is a big hole in it too, but other than little tooth punctures Torque has never chewed any part off of the jolly ball. Torque loves to carry his around, chew on it, and chase it. He will carry it around pretty much all day and if he wants to chase it he will drop it near me and look at the ball, then me, then the ball. As if to say "Uhh... Mom? Hello? Kick it please?" I do not have any pictures of him with it, I'll have to get some.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I thought about getting the girls one for Christmas but ended up going with a basketball instead. They are very rough with their balls and have already punctured the basketball but being the tough material it is they can still play with it unlike the soccer ball which they just tear to shreds. I would like to find one with a handle as opposed to the rope, they would carry it around more with a handle, the rope they would just try to play tug with it and not use the ball as it is intended. I am still considering it as an option at some point.
Love the video, she is so cute, I love how she shakes it around.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
32 Posts
Roman is a chewing monster and he had a good chunk of the handle gone in about a day or two. It all depends on how hard they are on toys. They're meant to stand up the abuse of a horse but then again they don't have pointy teeth. :)
It was too much work for me to supervise every second he had it to make sure he didnt swallow some of the handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts