Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to the whole doberman thing and I was interested in getting a dobe puppy. I met a really nice guy by the name of John Ryan who is selling doberman pups. He has really helped me understand the doberman and talked to me about it he also states he has 30 years of experience with dobermans.
I searched his name on google and came to this site where many people are saying stay away from him. I'm wondering if I should stay away or purchase?

Can someone explain to me what I should do and show me proof also I'm VERY INTERESTED IN THE DOBERMAN BREED and want one soon so help me out please.

Also this is in Ontario, Canada.

Thank you so much

Del

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
There are a lot of posts that I think do go into detail as to why to stay away. What exactly are you looking for? Euro working dobe? Do you have previous dobe experience? All of that will help us give you some direction :) Who else have you looked at?

I know for me as a first time dobe owner it was so important to have a breeder that would be able to take my calls all the time. I think this guy has so many litters on the ground- that might be a challenge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I looked into Von Ryans Luxus as well when I was first researching, and decided against them.
Use the search tool at the top of the forum to look him up and you will find some information/opinions about him and his kennel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
First off, search him on here and you'll figure out why people say to stay away.

Second, getting a doberman isn't something that should be rushed. Chances of getting a pup from a reputable breeder won't be an instant thing, it may take time!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hi Del,

I don't know anything about this person, but if so many people are saying to stay away, it is usually for good reason. Good for you for taking the time to check things out, and I hope you'll listen to some of the advice given to you. And luckily there are a lot of people on this forum from your area. I'm sure some of them could help you out with finding a great breeder.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Stay far away from this breeder.

He does not care for his dogs and you will not get a healthy happy puppy.

Stay far away for the sake of some poor female out there...

Reactions: thea2003

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of posts that I think do go into detail as to why to stay away. What exactly are you looking for? Euro working dobe? Do you have previous dobe experience? All of that will help us give you some direction Who else have you looked at?

I know for me as a first time dobe owner it was so important to have a breeder that would be able to take my calls all the time. I think this guy has so many litters on the ground- that might be a challenge.
I am looking for a family pet also I don't personally have dobe experience but another family member does and can help me with that also I've looked into another breeder but he didn't want me to register the pups so I assumed he was backyard breeding so I stayed away from him. I'm looking for a purebred euro bloodline dobe though.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...Can someone explain to me what I should do and show me proof also I'm VERY INTERESTED IN THE DOBERMAN BREED and want one soon so help me out please.

Also this is in Ontario, Canada.

Thank you so much

Del

Hello Del, welcome to the forum.

Your comment on "showing proof," that is exactly what you should be asking for, from any breeder you're considering giving your money to.

Proof is records that you can see and verify of health testing, complete health testing. Minimum standard of care on that is holter monitoring (cardio), thyroid, vWD, hips to be OFA'd, and many folks also recommend CERF on the European lines. I like to see elbows tested as well, myself.

These tests need to be performed on every single animal passing on its genes. Ethical breeders will do that--they don't want any more risk than they have to, on things being passed down the lines.

As far as your decision, no one else can tell you what you "should do," I'm sure you can see that.

As a first time Doberman owner, just a tip--go to some shows and some working events and meet the Dobermans there. Make sure the type of Doberman you *think* you want is really what you want, for a "family pet."

Some are easier to live with than others, as far as activity level and drive--and it does depend on what fits for each person.

Also, all salespeople can turn on the charm--be very aware of folks who talk a good game but may have a different reality behind that, especially after the sale.

I'll take a grumpy, hard-to-reach, hard-to-win-over person who asks ME a million questions over that charmer, any day. That way, I know they CARE about where their puppies are going and what kind of human is purchasing that living being.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Very true what RFR says. The person in your family that knows dobes should be able to confirm that this is a breed with a lot of health problems so getting a pup whose parents have been tested is really important. All too often breeders in the paper charge a few hundred bucks leaving the new owner thousands in medical bills from bad hips, cardio problems... things that one can screen for or at least have enough knowledge of the pedigree to try to avoid. There is no genetic test for cardio- but the parents can be tested at time of breeding to see if their hearts are showing any sign of DCM.

Best of luck! Welcome to DT!

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
May I ask why you're looking for a euro bloodline specifically if you only wish a family pet?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Also, all salespeople can turn on the charm--be very aware of folks who talk a good game but may have a different reality behind that, especially after the sale.

I'll take a grumpy, hard-to-reach, hard-to-win-over person who asks ME a million questions over that charmer, any day. That way, I know they CARE about where their puppies are going and what kind of human is purchasing that living being.

Good luck to you!
Along those lines, it's never a bad idea to check with local rescue organizations, and see how often (if ever) they see dogs from a specific breeder, and what that breeder might do about it if notified rescue has taken in one of their dogs.

MOST people are going to be friendly and helpful when they're trying to sell you something. It's far more critical to know to what extent they stand behind the dogs they produce after the check is in the bank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May I ask why you're looking for a euro bloodline specifically if you only wish a family pet?
Correct me if I got it mixed but aren't euro bloodline dobes slightly bigger? Also because I might start a home business within 1-2 years so a doberman being a family dog and guard dog can protect my home and also be a part of the family and be loved.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Dobe's are good family dogs and are naturally protective. Euro's arent necessarily bigger... no hard fast rule. Bigger isnt better with this breed. So steer clear of ANYONE advertising oversized or supersized dobermans.

A lot of times folks associate euro with working high drive dogs- and for a first time dog owner... be VERY certain that this is what you are looking for. There are lots of good pet quality dogs from Euro and American breeders but the rules always apply... title and test!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I guess getting another breeder would be the best thing to do I've actually contacted 2 or 3 today and am planning to meet them sadly they aren't CKC REG does that mean I can't get a backround check on them?

·
Registered
472 Posts
So I guess getting another breeder would be the best thing to do I've actually contacted 2 or 3 today and am planning to meet them sadly they aren't CKC REG does that mean I can't get a backround check on them?
Breeders that do not register their dogs aren't breeding for the betterment of the breed. They usually breed for money.
You should not support a backyard breeder.

There are plenty of great breeders in Ontario and across Canada that you can choose from.

You do not have to pay extra to get the dog registered with the CKC either. In Canada the breeder registers the litter and you will receive the paperwork later.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Where are you finding these breeders that have all these unregistered dogs? I would absolutely say to keeeeeep looking. No registration means NO verifiable history. I'm sure they will say their dogs are great and the parents are great and they've never had any problems with... thats just not realistic. If that was the case trust me... they'd have a line out the door miles wide from their stock untainted by health issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've searched many websites I found John Ryan on dogsincanada.com and found other people from kijiji.ca somebody has actually pmed me and told me they could help me out so I can most likely get a CKC Reg pup I'll post pics if I can pick up a pup within 2 weeks =D

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
ok. So are you in Ontario? I think there are some good threads about breeders in ontario. you should start a new post in the breeders section asking for that because many folks might be skipping over this post just because the title is on one specific breeder.

Just stop looking on Kijiji because that is a BYB paradise :)

you are in the right place... just keep plugging at it. There are quite a few active members from ontario that can point you in the right direction. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
There are a few people that im sure can help steer you in the direction of a good breeder, check out nighflight dobermans, gatehouse dobermans hausenbrook dobermans, ambermark dobermans, these are the ones i know of with a website to check out

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Well I've searched many websites I found John Ryan on dogsincanada.com and found other people from kijiji.ca somebody has actually pmed me and told me they could help me out so I can most likely get a CKC Reg pup I'll post pics if I can pick up a pup within 2 weeks =D
Erica in Uxbridge has some puppies in rescue and a couple adult dogs. One of the adults looks very euro. to me.
Welcome to my Web site

1 - 20 of 73 Posts