Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I was wondering if any of you take your dog running with you? At what age is it ok to start? I know my pooch is probably still too young at 4 1/2 months, but I am anxious to make him my jogging buddy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jogging

I take my dobe running with me all the time. We started doing this when she was close to a year and a half in age. Not sure if the time frame would be longer for a male. We waited until then just to be on the safe side.

She seems to enjoy it, although no matter what distance we go, she has tons of energy left at the end. Abby is also a lot better on the leash when we're running because thats closer to the speed she likes to move anyway!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Be carefull. His bones and muscles arent fully developed yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JennSLK said:
Be carefull. His bones and muscles arent fully developed yet.
I AM being careful. Thats' why I posted this question.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
The recommended age for a Doberman is 18 months. I wouldn’t run with a dog younger than 18 months.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I started letting Chi jog with me short distances when she was about 7 months - When I say short I mean no more than a 1/4-1/2 mile and I always keep her on the grass. Also too, I'm pretty slow so she's not going too fast or pounding too hard. We'll average 3-4 miles a day but that is spread out over 2 or 3 walk/jogs. Since I don't have a fenced yard and few places for her to really get out and run and play I figured controlled jogging would be a safe alternative.
I really look forward to the day when she is mature enough to really start jogging with me - especially since I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in October and it's pretty time consuming to walk/jog with her and then take off on a long run by myself. Life will certainly be easier when we can incorporate the 2 :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I jog with Winston a couple times a week, he's 8 though but in really great shape. I'd jog with him more, but Tango, my Border Collie/Toller mix thrives on it where he couldn't care less whether he goes or not.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Prettydobie said:
LOL I cant take trinity jogging with me cause she only has walk and run. LOL Also she thinks that when i'm jogging is play time LOL
You know I had this problem with Chi in the beginning and still do to some extent - the faster we go the more excited she gets. We started out real slow - no faster than a walk but I was bouncing like I was running kind of and constantly reinforced her for behaving and then just gradually added speed. At first I couldn't make it more than 4 or 5 steps without her starting to bounce beside me LOL :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
lol yea she also has this habit to were she has to smell everything so she will go back and forth from either side of the side walk lol She ever just goes striaght lol And i cant run/jog that often because my ankles are so messed up but i have gotten her to stop and sit next to me before we cross a road.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
depending on duchess's mood she will sometimes jump up and down around me (and she is NOT a jumper in this case...she will do her agility jumps usually and thats it) tug on the leash...but today I walked to my boyfriends house and jogged with her alot of the way on the praire path and she just trotted right by my side :) she was probably already tired for the long walking we were doing before that. She is 2 and ready for the amount of excersise she always gets lol

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I myself do fast walking. Just fast enough that they do a trot next to me. They seem to enjoy it. I am not much of a runner. At times I will run with them when it is cooler. I didn't start them until they were over a year with running in the grass. I have to keep a fast pace on them in the grass to keep them from looking down. They are bug freaks and if they see them jumping in the the grass, they trip over their feet to get away from them. :rolleyesw
I think they have OCD. lol.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
We have to be careful that Tia and now Mischa of course do not run too much as it effects their shoulders which you do not want in a show dog but the others had full exercise from 18 months.Tia has 10 mins at full throttle in the morning(on grass)chasing rabbits but then she is kept on her lead.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I started running with Ava sometime after she turned 18 months. She really enjoys running with me as she's probably thinking that I'm finally moving more to her speed now. :) However, we've been doing more mountain biking than running lately and she likes that a lot more!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think I am going to try this jogging with dog thing. hmm should I call the paramedics just before I leave the house or have my cell with me to call 911. Best train my dog first to retrieve the cell out of my pocket and push with her paw lol
Seriously, I think it is wonderful idea, just hope my body thinks so to, I'll start of slow. I can see it now it will be in the newspaper dobe dragging owner down path in park because he couldn't keep up.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I am not a "jogger" by any means....But Rommel has been "Walking" (I think I walk at a reasonable pace) with me since I have had him. When he was little we wouldn't go to far, but now we go just over 2 miles twice a day. And when we get home, he could go 10 more miles! I cant wait until he is old enough to really jog, I want to train with him for the AD.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a question. What is the difference in your dog running allong your side as you're jogging and your dog running on his own and going nuts in a field.

I've heard plenty of times you shouldn't jog with your large breed dog, or for that matter do agility jumps until he is about 18mo old. At that age the bones are develped enough to take the impact without damage. But.... dobes especially when they're young are rockets and full of unlimited energy. You can't just walk them on leash for exercise. They need to run and play. So exactly how does it differ to take your dog to a doggy park or hiking with you in a forest and just let him rip!

I would immagine that the gates the dog uses while jogging would be different in comparison to a non restrained run, but could there really be that much difference in terms of the impact the dog's joints experience?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Maybe cause a jog is usually on pavement...concrete..blacktop etc...
I don't think it would be a problem if you took the jogs to the dog park...and let your dog just run or trot or play beside you lol.:) I think the most important thing if you take a jog in an area that is grassy...or in a field...or nice terrain..is just to stop when the dog is tired :) sometimes I would go in the back yard with Duchess when she was a bit younger and run around with her as if it was a jog. :) Its more fun than the tight jog around the block too :) (as long as ya have a fenced in yard.:))

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My vet had a rescue Dobe whom she adopted when he was 18 months and who would go running with her. Of course his strides were longer than hers and he would stop to allow her to 'catch up'. He also had a tendency to turn his head back over his shoulder to make sure she was still following, causing him to occasionally run into telephone poles!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts