Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought our new Persian kitten(Mira) home yesterday and while Ava is very calm and relaxed around her, the kitten is terrified of her. I've set Mira up in our bedroom so she can feel comfortable while she gets used to her new surroundings and naturally I've been spending a lot of time with her in there. If it's possible for a dog to feel jealousy, Ava is feeling it.

She's been hounding me nonstop since Mira has been home and if I'm not paying attention to her(Ava), she'll whine and pace. The only time she'll settle down is if I'm not paying attention to Mira.

I understand that introducing a new member into the household is stressful for everyone(cept Scoob, he could care less) but while I'm trying to do everything I can to make the kitten feel welcome, my dog is falling to pieces. I've done my best to keep my routine with Ava and it seems to me that even though she's getting the same amount of attention she normally would, she gets upset if I'm having anything to do with the kitten.

I don't know whether I should pay more attention to Ava to reassure her or if I should ignore her behavior or what. I don't want her to think that if she whines and carries on that I'll stop everything to please her but I don't want to ignore her either.:help_up_2

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Awww you have mirabelle now!!! Can't wait to see loads of pictures!

IMO-You're right not to give her attention when she is "whining the blues", that way that behaviour isn't being reinforced.

I know you have the area to run the dogs (lucky you!) Maybe up Ava's physical activity level to satisfy her a bit more. Hopefully she'll wind down a little more inside then. Other than that, just make a point to give her attention (and HAPPY HAPPY attention at that) only when she is settled and not pacing or whining or anything. That way she is being rewarded positively for being quiet, and completely ignore her otherwise. If you are doing the clicker, then C/T when she is quiet.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And loads of pictures we have!! I think Brian must have taken a least a hundred in her first hour here. :lol2:

IMO-You're right not to give her attention when she is "whining the blues", that way that behaviour isn't being reinforced.
That's kind of how I feel. If she whines for any other reason, she's ignored but I didn't want to be making it worse by ignoring her.

Maybe up Ava's physical activity level to satisfy her a bit more. Hopefully she'll wind down a little more inside then.
As of Friday, I officially started running again with Ava as my partner so I hope this'll help. Maybe I'll push myself to go a bit further, you know for her benefit. :)

Thanks for the advice Jess. I'll make it a point to c/t when she's good.... Like right now... *click*

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That's kind of how I feel. If she whines for any other reason, she's ignored but I didn't want to be making it worse by ignoring her.

Ehh, she's a smart girl! She'll get the picture! I can imagine her world is turned upside down from this little terrorist invader!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well as always Jess gave you great advice. :) The only thing I can add is, I would be more than happy to take either Ava or Mirabelle at any time. :D

Pssst. How are all of you doing? I am home all week so I should be able to make it to a chat session or two. :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Lexus said:

I know you have the area to run the dogs (lucky you!) Maybe up Ava's physical activity level to satisfy her a bit more. Hopefully she'll wind down a little more inside then. Other than that, just make a point to give her attention (and HAPPY HAPPY attention at that) only when she is settled and not pacing or whining or anything. That way she is being rewarded positively for being quiet, and completely ignore her otherwise. If you are doing the clicker, then C/T when she is quiet.
Oh How right you are.. you should never give in to a whining dog that is just looking for attention! By doing that you are only teaching the dog that the whining will get the dog what she wants and she will just whin more.
Just remember, It is like I tell my daughter about raiseing children... talk to them like a parrot and treat them like a puppy.. The oppisite is true too..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well as always Jess gave you great advice. The only thing I can add is, I would be more than happy to take either Ava or Mirabelle at any time.
Well you could take Ava for a few days if you'd like. She's pretty mad at me right now and every time I look at her, she looks like she's sulking. It's going to take a lot of bully sticks to make up for this one. As for Mirabelle, no you cannot take her. Those pictures I showed you do her no justice, she is an absolute doll! And she's such a sweet, affectionate kitten, with lots and lots of energy. Watching her run, is by far the funniest thing I've ever seen. :lol2:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TracyJo said:
So where are the pictures that do do her justice???? Bunch of very anxious aunties are not so patiently waiting :)
There is no picture that does her justice!! When I saw her(and her four other brothers and sisters) all running around together, looking like little clouds of fur with legs, I thought I was going to faint from the amount of cuteness in the room. lol I'm about to go through the photos on the digi and see if I can find one that can kind of show off how adorable she is. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
We would like to see lots of photos. Any of them. :) You can always send her to all of us so we can see how cute she is since no photo shows how cute she is. :)
I second that, start by sending her to Ohio, I"m closest!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now now, if you want to see her you're more than welcome to come visit but she's not being shipped anywhere, period! :tongue22:

I do have to say this though, I am so proud of Ava. She has been wonderful with Mira! Mira is slowly warming up to her and this morning she's been getting closer and closer to Ava while she's on a down stay. Mira even headbutted Ava's muzzle. :) Of course all of their interactions have been supervised but Ava has been really gentle and patient with her. It's like she knows Mirabelle is a kitten and you have to be gentle with them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gracie's_Mom said:
Awww Ava is such a good big sister! Jess I will swing by and pick you up so we can go see Mira, Ava and Scoob. How does that sound?
I'll have the mixers ready and waiting. :)

Here's some pictures of the little little princess. Ever try taking a kitten's picture? I think it's a lot harder than taking a puppy's....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
OMG! I just want to hug her, hold her, and kiss her! She is so CUTE! Will you atleast give her a big hug for me please? She is just a little ball of fur. No wonder why Ava is so patient with her. How couldn't you be?

If you have the mixer ready I will pick up some drinks on the way for mixing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts