Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Java has some anxiety. He's somewhat of a rescue, he undoubtedly came from a BYB, so this is not surprising and we're addressing it as much as possible. It's not overwhelming, can't leave the house anxiety by any stretch, but it's there and we're dealing with it.

He's a little bit nervous about jumping into the car (none whatsoever about being in the car when it's moving, oddly), so I decided to take it in bits - I'll sit in the back seat with the clicker and some tasty treats, click for getting half into the seat, then click and treat for getting in when he starts to get comfortable. Put it on cue for "Get in!" Not when we're actually going somewhere, we just go out there once or twice a day and work on it, then back inside. Next step once he gets comfortable with that will be to move to standing outside the car and saying "Get in!" Click and reward. Move to having him jump into the backseat with the crate in it. Move to actually using this when we're going somewhere. So on and so forth.

For a few days, it was no dice. He'd get his front feet up on the seat, get nervous and run away with his ears back. (He was on the long lead, so no dogs were risking being run over in the making of this video.) Gradually he got more confident, more comfortable. Today, he did it like a pro for the first time. I was so proud. I was in the backseat holding the long lead, he would be sniffing around the yard, hear "Get in!" and hightail it into the car, hardly any anxiety to be seen. Seems so small, but it seemed like such a breakthrough at the time. :)

A video: Java Learns "Get In!" - YouTube

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Way to go Java :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Java did fantastic...just like a pro...I enjoyed the video and seeing the hard work & progress your making...Great job you 2.

When my girl got 10 y/o, we had to buy a dog ramp, because jumping in my 4x4 truck 3/4 ton was getting difficult, in Amy's senior years.
After a few days, she had it (but unsure of the ramp re. poor footing, to start with),if Amy gets a little lazy or slow, getting onto the ramp..I say to her:
- "Amy, get in the truck, or Dad is leaving Amy home / Amy want to stay home, or come with Dad"?...that gets her motivated to move quicker...LOL

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
I *totally* get what it's like to have an anxious dog. Those small successes are huge! It's amazing what a clicker can do, isn't it? If you don't have it, you might really get a lot out of Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed." It's fantastic for working with anxious dogs. Even if it's not over the top anxiety, Java might really benefit from some of the exercises.

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I *totally* get what it's like to have an anxious dog. Those small successes are huge! It's amazing what a clicker can do, isn't it? If you don't have it, you might really get a lot out of Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed." It's fantastic for working with anxious dogs. Even if it's not over the top anxiety, Java might really benefit from some of the exercises.
I don't have it, but I've been reading a lot about it on this forum, so I think I'm going to check it out. Small successes are huge - glad someone gets it. :) Particularly because once he started jumping in, it didn't seem like he was gritting his teeth and doing it for the click and reward, he seemed completely comfortable!

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
I was able to pick up a copy using interlibrary loan at my local branch. Once I'd read it I knew I had to have it, so I bought a copy. She recently published a Control Unleashed Puppy book, and I've heard it's even better, so you might want to consider that one, especially since he's still a pup. You can pick it up at Dogwise (Welcome to Dogwise.com) or Clean Run (Clean Run: Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program). My trainers are both thrilled with the new puppy book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts