Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, about 4 months ago me and my beautiful wife decided to start fostering dogs for a local rescue group here. The group does amazing things in this province. So our first foster dog shows up to our home, he is an adult Doberman. My wife got to meet Jase first, when i got home from work i was greeted at the door by a badly underweight, frostbitten, broken tooth, dandruffy dog. It was so sad to see him like this. Even though you could see his, ribs, spine, hip bones he seemed to be excited, Loving, and Glad to have a bowl of food and a blanket.

Shortly after Jase arrived i made a post on the boards looking for help with his"aggression"

I'm not sure if it was that very first moment when i meet him that i knew i wanted him in my life. It may of been a few hours into having him with us, it may of been a week, a month... but my mind was made up.

We still did what we could to try and get him adopted to a loving home. We worked ever day to train him to be better on his leash, more sociable with other dogs (still ongoing), well feed (hes gained aprox 14lbs). He is amazing! i can not believe he was abandoned, left to go door to door in a rural/town community, begging for food.

Each time there was a potential adoptive family considering Jase as their new Companion. i would be sad while forcing myself to remember "this is why we fostered, find him a good home" But each time there were concerns with his "issues" (which i now believe to be under-socialization and maybe some reactivity)

Does he get along with cats? No, sorry.

Does he get along good with other dogs? Not really.

If you were willing to put the time into some training or socialization program im sure he could get along with dogs, at least select dogs. who knows. maybe even your cat. Oh that's a bit more than we wanted to take on.

We took Jase to a large adoption event for the rescue group. he is the sweetest dog to the people interacting with him. not so much to some of the other dogs that get to close. he barks and barks and lunges. The next day my wife takes Jase to her foster home supervisors place. She has 37 rescued dogs. They put a muzzle on Jase and slowly introduce dogs into the "common area". Jase requires a few corrections as he immediatly lunges at the dogs in the kennels. slowly he calms down, sniffing dogs, even sitting briefly. Maybe, he just knows hes muzzled and he still wants to bite the dogs... off comes the muzzle! not barking, biting, lunging. So a smaller female dog that has taken to Jase a little becomes our second foster dog. Tara is possibly collie, or even shepherd mix. She looks like a Fox. Jase and her get along well, they even play in the yard sometimes, and lay with each other on the blanket.

Jase's socialization, while better with other dogs seems to almost be getting worse with people, going crazy on walks when strangers are approaching, even if they don't have dogs. After a scare of him lunging over our short fence at the Neighbour girl (whom he had previously meet) We decide maybe he needs more than we can offer him, maybe we are not doing the proper training for him.

We will take him back to the kennels and trade him for a foster dog that may be more easily adopted. Driving an hour to leave Jase and take another one of the rescued dogs that may find a loving home a bit quicker, and free up room to save another animal. We did leave him there, we did bring another dog with us. driving another hour to get home. in silence mostly, except maybe some crying. before we even get home we have called the foster home supervisor and told her that " there is no way we can do this, We are coming back to adopt Jase, Right Now."

i let the "new foster" do his business at the house, so i guess we did foster him for around 8 minutes. ha ha (he has also been adopted BTW)

so we drive another hour back to get Jase, when we get there he is running with other dogs, playing. Amazing to see! We are now working even harder, and with the help of a professional trainer. He is making vast improvements in only the first couple weeks. He is a truly amazing dog!

I apologize for my long winded rant. this isn't how i intended this post to be. It just came out this way. here are some pictures of our Amazing guy Jase
Thank you, Ryan

2nd day of fostering

a few more pics, looking, healthier already

Jase with his "Foster Sister" Tara

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, another foster failure!! Lol. That's why I would be afraid of fostering. I used to work at a vet's office and ended up adopting two kittens right away. My lover insisted I quit as she did not want a zoo!

Kudos to your family and Jase.

·
Discussion Starter #4
Well, another foster failure!! Lol. That's why I would be afraid of fostering. I used to work at a vet's office and ended up adopting two kittens right away. My lover insisted I quit as she did not want a zoo!

Kudos to your family and Jase.
Hey! we found him a loving home! lol. One of the "conditions" of adopting him is that we continue to foster. Tara is getting spayed today and is available for adoption. Also as awesome as Tara is, my attachment to Jase was greater in a minute than to Tara in 3 weeks. (sorry Tara.) Im sure all of them will be hard to let go, some more than others.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What a heartwarming story! So glad that Jase found you.

Our club is currently working to help get a young and very active Mal past his people-aggression issues. The first time we met him, he nailed our training director a good one. Fortunately, his handler is an experienced dog person who was able to see the potential in this guy, who was found abandoned on a roadside. Watching this guy's progress has been incredibly rewarding, so I can only imagine how proud you must be of Jase.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Due to your patience and love, Jase will most likely become a well behaved boy. Who knows what trauma he experienced out on his own and if humans were mean to him. Sounds like it. He is a lovely dog and looks like an older fella.

I bet he is glad you came in to his life and you will be rewarded with his total love and devotion....

Please share more photos!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Congratulations on your knew rescued boy!!! Thanks for helping out by fostering the ones that need homes so badly.

He's a handsome guy. I hope you can get him totally ship shape in a fair amount of time.

Best wishes to you all!!!:)

·
Discussion Starter #12
Due to your patience and love, Jase will most likely become a well behaved boy. Who knows what trauma he experienced out on his own and if humans were mean to him. Sounds like it. He is a lovely dog and looks like an older fella.

I bet he is glad you came in to his life and you will be rewarded with his total love and devotion....

Please share more photos!
Ya, Jase may be a bit older. the "best guess" of the vet was 3-7 years... such a wide range, i guess he could be a senior. I am no expert but i do not think he is in the top end of that age range. he's pretty active and agile. Although he does like to sleep in, and then have a nap after brekfast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts