Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Jake a bully stick last night after seeing a post reguarding them. He loves it!! I had never heard of it. Jake says Thanks to you guys for letting his human know about them...Also I realize after reading on here that I obviously have him poor food quality. He is eating Iams Large Breed puppy brand. I am so confused about what I should try to convert to as there is so many different opinions on here and different choices. We are about to head out for a walk; I have been loose leash training; If he is not pulling we get to go...if he is pulling we stop...if he goes a good distance beside me without pulling he gets a click n treat...This is working pretty well; any other pointers for this would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Taste Of The Wild, Wellness, and even Innova are pretty decent foods.
TOTW & Wellness can be bought from Tractor Supply, Innova from Petsmart.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sam and Mack love bully sticks too. I buy the odor free ones here: Bully Sticks - All Natural Value Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick

Also, that's a lot of tape on your little guys head. What's going on with that?
Okay...Glad you ask....My vet is posting his ears every 7 days; that is the method he is using. His left ear is perfect when it is free from posts; his right ear leans over the head some; the most recent post he brought the ears out wider; more of a 10 and 2. He is doing the posting free of charge untill ears are standing correctly. Originally when Jakes ears were 1st cropped approx 5 weeks ago; he had a lot of swelling; and bleeding; the vet had to take him and re-suture the left ear on day 3. At first he had the ears upright with foam inside that was glued with ostomy type adhesive; however when we had all the issues all of that came out for about a week or so before he started posting. He waited untill the edges were all healed and sutures were out. It does seem like a lot of tape though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taste Of The Wild, Wellness, and even Innova are pretty decent foods.
TOTW & Wellness can be bought from Tractor Supply, Innova from Petsmart.
Thanks!!!! We do have a tractor supply store here. I got the bully sticks there last night. I live in a VERY rual area. I moved here about 6 years ago from Memphis TN and i have grown accustomed to living out in the middle no where; very peaceful ; small town upbringing for my child....but I do miss having a variety of shopping nearby. I may try to convert slowly to one of those you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Everyone has different opinions on the the better foods. Its which one works for there dog. For sure get him off of Iams. To make easy. Which premium food is better? Its what it looks like when it comes out the other end. Just switch over to the better food over a 7-10 day peroid. Do a 1/4 cup of new mixed in with 3/4 his present food for a couple of days. If everything looks good on the other end. Then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a couple of days. Then 3/4 new and a 1/4 old and so on.
The best food choice over all would be a Raw Diet. Next would be a Wet Can Food, then Dry Kibble.
Also look at the treats you are feeding him. If you are switching to a better food don't feed crap treats.
The Bully sticks are good. NO Rawhide at all.
There are all kinds of sites on Pet Foods
petfoodadvisor.com
Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings
petsumer.com
Check out some of LindaH posts she has them listed

For sure tooooooo much tape on the ears!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Okay...Glad you ask....My vet is posting his ears every 7 days; that is the method he is using. His left ear is perfect when it is free from posts; his right ear leans over the head some; the most recent post he brought the ears out wider; more of a 10 and 2. He is doing the posting free of charge untill ears are standing correctly. Originally when Jakes ears were 1st cropped approx 5 weeks ago; he had a lot of swelling; and bleeding; the vet had to take him and re-suture the left ear on day 3. At first he had the ears upright with foam inside that was glued with ostomy type adhesive; however when we had all the issues all of that came out for about a week or so before he started posting. He waited untill the edges were all healed and sutures were out. It does seem like a lot of tape though.
What material is he using as the actual post itself? It looks like a metal rod...?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What material is he using as the actual post itself? It looks like a metal rod...?
It is a stiff sponge cut wider at the bell and tapered up; I am seriously considering taking it all off and trying Zephyr's method though!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
bullysticks

My boy Apollo just loves those bully sticks too. it keeps him for for a while, gives me a chance to see the news on tv. lol it does look like a lot of tape on his head. mine had a little bridge of tape across to hold them both up. also, on the food, i feed him Nutro lamb and rice large breed. its very good for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts