Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted. Hope everyone is great. :)

Jake has had a few weird episodes over the past few months. I'd say it's happened maybe three times - last night, and the time before that was maybe 7 or 8 months ago... I think it was before our son was born.

The incident a few months back went like this: The dogs were all hanging out in the garage after we came home from work one evening, and we went to bring them inside so they could eat. When we opened the door, Jake yelped so loud. Sadie rushed to try to get inside and banged into him, and he yelped again like he got shot or something. Then I went to pet him and he did it again. He acts skittish, shakes, and wants to get somewhere away from everyone, and once he gets settled somewhere, he will not move. We put a dog bed in a corner away from everyone, and he laid down and wouldn't move for the rest of the night. The next day, he was fine.

Last night, it wasn't as severe, but again, when we opened the door to let the dogs inside, he yelped and then yelped as my husband reached to pet him. He just acted weird. We put his bed in a room and shut the door. I went to check on him once and when I opened the door, he lifted his head and yelped again. When we fed them, we went out to the garage to get food, and he ran outside. I put his food down out there, and he froze and would not eat or move. I went and hand fed him some baked chicken, and he'd eat it as long as I brought it to him, but if I put it on the ground like a step in front of him, he wouldn't move to go get it. THEN I went and got his leash to try to lead him inside (I didn't want to get bitten trying to pull him by the collar in case he was hurting somewhere really bad - he's never snapped before but dogs do strange things when they hurt), and as soon as he saw his leash, he snapped out of it, wagged his tail, danced around thinking he was going for a walk. I brought him and his food inside and when I put the bowl down, he ate like normal.

It's odd. I haven't taken him to the vet because he just snaps right out of it the next day and I honestly don't know what they'd be looking for. Any ideas?

Just some background - Jake is a rescue. I pulled him from the shelter at 60 lbs when he was about 3 years old. He's now about 100 lbs - big dog, not overweight, just too big. He's one of the most unhealthy animals I have ever seen. Has horrible skin allergies, constantly getting sick with something... He did this weird yelping thing when we first brought him home, and he went to the vet 3 times for it. They never could find anything wrong. But back then, he just yelped and then was fine. None of the skittish, shaking, wants to be left alone stuff.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Could be a seizure of some sort. IMO a vet check is warranted ASAP. Hugs to Jake.

Reactions: Colorado Dobes

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Can you video him when he is doing it. I ask because my Boxer was doing some weird shaking of her head and when I took her to the vet it was hard to describe and for him to diagnose. Luckily my son managed to get a video of her shaking her head and he was able to see himself what we were talking about and because of know what his next move was to be. We are awaiting test results however in the meantime he has found she has low blood sugar and has recommended we feed her sugared water to help stop the Ataxia (which is what the head shaking is called).

I do hope your Jake is ok.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Oh Lauren, I know it's been a rough go of it with Jake since you pulled him a few years ago.

I don't have anything to add and pray that you and Jake find the answers you need to help him.

(hugs)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
There isn't any chance there is some fighting going on between them or are they separated while you are gone?

Reason I ask, we were going through something with Stormy recently. Even thought she had wobblers. We would just walk by and put our hand down and she'd scream. She'd be playing with the other dogs and suddenly scream and run away and hide.

She had an incident this past year where she had been bit pretty badly in the neck. Long story.

I had the vet fully test her just recently (top to bottom, inside and out). Stormy is a bit of a pyscho girl, and the vet said dogs have memories of bad things. He said it could partly be that something triggers said memory of pain.
He also suggested chiropractic, which I did. Her neck muscles were all tense, and it may have helped. It seems less frequent now.

Just throwing some random stuff out there.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
google CVI, known as wobblers.

each dog seems to have similar, but different symptoms.

depending on the shape of the vertabrae, tipping of one or more, pressure on nerves, inflamation, so many other issues can arise from unstable vertabrae.

I have seen a wobbler dog's pain come and go, off and on for some time before they are diagnosed with cvi.

Hugz to Jake.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Videoing him is a great idea. Thanks. I'll try that next time. Who knows when it'll happen again. I'm also going to do some research on wobblers this morning. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you all! It's hard to see this going on and not know what to do for him.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am also wondering if there is something going on when you are gone. If Jake has beginnings of Wobblers, rough play could worsen his situation. I did a thread since my gal got diagnosed about 2 months ago with Wobbler's and has some symptoms described in it in case you might want to read and see it anything rings a bell.
Also, my gal weighs about 71# but I need to get her back to 66#, on advice of the vet, because every pound makes a difference when arthritis or Wobblers is involved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts