Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really concerned, but I'm curious. We've had him a week.

Jackson is more like a Stealth eater. He sweeps in to the food bowl, eats a little then goes back to what ever intrerests him next, my husband, me, toys,chews, etc...He is eating enough according to directions. He is having regular BM's, ( 4+ firm/formed -can you tell I'm an RN) After our early am elimination outside, we do training 10-15 minutes. He gets kibble for training treats- maybe 20 pieces. We come inside and he'll eat a 1/4 or less. Throughout the day it seems I have to remind him to eat. He'll follow me to the bowl, eat a little, then runs off. He does go to the bowl on his own occasionally. All of the books I've read said at this age feed him 4 times a day. He eats all during the day. My son has a 11 week old American Boxer puppy. She'll eat all that he will put in the bowl for her.

Should I put the bowl up and offer it to him only at scheduled times? I don't want him to get used to there always being food available, nor become a grazer? Did you have this situation?

Thank you for all the mouthing/biting correction threads..it's working!!!!

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
try adding a little warm water to the food and DO put it down for 10-15 minutes and pick it up when he leaves it. You may have to teach him that there are specific eating times if he doesnt figure it out on his own. I have an 11 week old and she eats 3 times a day- scarfs her food down like there is no tomorrow! I prefer it this way so that I know exactly how much my dogs eat (or doesnt eat) and when. Good luck :)

Reactions: BulletsGirl

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would pick the food up after 10 minutes. You can crate a picky eater by leaving it down all the time and I'm not a fan of free feeding most dogs but especially a breed so prone to bloat.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I too am not a fan of free feeding and if you have one that is picky, will create a worse issue. Jackson my male, was very, very picky at a young age and would go several meals without eating..it was worrisome (sometimes I had to hand feed him to get him to eat any, then I got over that and became adament about him eating on his own or not eating...its kinda like tough love). Eventually, he got the idea...now, when I put that bowl down, he knows he needs to eat or mommy is going to take it up..period!!

I leave the food down for 10-15 minutes, if they dont eat all or any, take it up - and then put it back down when its time for the next meal - not before. I fed mine 3 times a day at that age...

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! oh thats right...I am in charge. He eats when I want him to eat. Those are my toys and chews that I share. I was concerned about him not getting enough food. I keep a good track of how much is going in and out of the bowl. I've been a little anxious being a new Dober Mom. You all are soooo helpful.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I agree, they should be given a short period of time to eat, then the food taken up-this encourages good eating habits.

However-some puppies who are easily distracted from their food also benefit from being fed in their crate, eliminating distractions.

·
Registered
416 Posts
We had the same problem with Duke too. He'd take a few bites, then his ADD would kick in and play around and venture back to his food bowl whenever he felt like it. It was a real pain for us. ESPECIALLY when the expensive kibble gets soggy and you have to throw it away!

I tried the picking up after 15-20 minutes deal, I tried the picking up as soon as he leaves his bowl...but it pained me to see him start to look skinny and still not attack his food like everyone else's dog does.

FINALLY, starting two week ago, he eats like how he should eat. I started to excercise him a lot by taking him to a dog park, long walks, doggy daycare, lots of mental stimulation, and feeding him small amounts of food but more frequently each day. My guess is that exercising is boosting his metabolism, and he has less trouble cleaning his bowl when he has smaller meals.

This week, I've been adding more food into his bowl and cutting back on the frequency of feedings. So far so good!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Einstein is the same way. Its difficult to get a hardcore schedule for eating down because of our family schedule but I generally leave it down for 15 minutes then pick it up. We put his food in the laundry room so if he doesnt see us he is less likely to eat. I was standing giving him clicks and praise when he would eat for about a week. Im pretty sure he knows what, Lets eat Food, means by now and is getting better about going in to eat on his own.

An earlier post said 4+ BM...is that per day? Einstein is lucky to get 3 out in a day.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thank you! oh thats right...I am in charge. He eats when I want him to eat. Those are my toys and chews that I share. I was concerned about him not getting enough food. I keep a good track of how much is going in and out of the bowl. I've been a little anxious being a new Dober Mom. You all are soooo helpful.
Sorry to say - I am the opposite.
If a dog maintains an ideal weight, I free feed.
It can pick away at the kibble, when ever / If it wants to have a little snack, then play...so be it.
I don't want the dog to have to "wolf" down its food, in a specific time limit.

I am in charge (leader) in the dogs mind...but when the toys come into the house, their claimed by the dog.
- I tell my girl, "Dad buys the toys, and Dad got no toys"...lol..."Amy want to share her toys, with her Dad-Da".
I am in control, but I don't control...if that makes any sense / I prefer allowing my dobe to make small choices, in daily routine.
(like eat when you want, have a nap when you want, and play with any toy you want...I'm very easy, on some things)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts