Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this breeder? Knows these dogs? Or has purchased a puppy from him?

Dobermann kennel «iz Zoosfery»

I went to a dobe show today (that was unfortunately cancelled because the judge was sick) and this breeder was recommended to me.

My biggest concern is health, of course, and I am still primarily considering a couple breeders in the US for my next pup and SAR prospect... I am looking for a female around 60lbs... I imagine that isn't what I will get with a pup from here, lol.

I clicked on a lot of pictures and looked at pedigrees and though I do think all the dobes are gorgeous, after doing a little research using Dobermann Review, I noticed that some of the dobes have died relatively young... 4-7 years of age seems to be average. This is of course, disheartening. But these were only a few dogs of many but I got overwhelmed and decided I would ask those with a lot more experience than I.

logistic note: I am currently in Israel and may be here for a while longer, which is why I am asking about this breeder.

In my heart, I think I am still going to go with Foxfire, but it is worth asking.

I'm also not even entirely sure if I can import a dobe that is cropped/docked, so may need to wait until I get back to the US anyway. I've heard that I can and just not show and I've also heard that I cannot if the dobe is less than two years of age.

Anyway, all that being said, opinions please :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'd talk to Rosamburg,maybe send him a PM in case he doesn't see this thread. He lived in Russia in the past, and has posted some serious concerns on this board about the health testing done on dogs in that country, and the overall health of the breed there.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a dog from another country unless I had the ability to travel to that country more than once, see a number of animals from the same family groups and form a relationship with breeder(s) there. In too many cases naive Americans are sent the dregs, what the breeders wouldn't be able to place in their country for one reason or the other.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
I would study the pedigree carefully, and make contact with the breeder long before purchasing a puppy. Try to establish a relationship with the breeder way before. None of this is as good as going there yourself though.
Don't base a decision off of the country, but the pedigree. Just because you buy a dog from Russia, for example doesn't necessarily mean the dog is from Russian lines. I don't know if I am saying this right. But, for example, I bought a dog from Hungary who is in reality, from mainly Italian lines for many generations back if you look at the pedigree. so you might look at the kennel name and say oh that is an eastern european dog, but it's not. I don't think you can find many fully health tested pedigrees in any of Europe.

Reactions: annolyn

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
i have not looked into their dogs for years.......but i do remember being impressed by something about them.........

i remember a judge talking about judging their dogs and being impressed by their temperment as well as the 'type'.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice and input. The breeder was recommended to me by a Latvian couple who own a Gem'Givveeon dog. I feel relatively certain that most "Euro" lines aren't as thoroughly checked as a lot of American lines are, from reputable breeders anyway. This might just be my novice opinion but I really think I am just going to have to wait on this one. My hubby and I weren't planning on traveling to Russia anytime soon. We are planning on visiting Italy in the summer :) but not on a puppy search... or maybe... lol

I really want a Foxfire girl and will just have to sit tight and go with what my heart desires... it is hard though. But once I have Doc with me again and am spending so much time with him, keeping him busy, I won't have time to consider getting another puppy. I think I will honestly just wait until we get back to the US permanently.

Plus the whole vagueness on whether or not my hubby and I can import a cropped/docked puppy is really annoying.

Thanks again everyone. Sometimes, I think I just get a little ahead of myself.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would study the pedigree carefully, and make contact with the breeder long before purchasing a puppy. Try to establish a relationship with the breeder way before. None of this is as good as going there yourself though.
Don't base a decision off of the country, but the pedigree. Just because you buy a dog from Russia, for example doesn't necessarily mean the dog is from Russian lines. I don't know if I am saying this right. But, for example, I bought a dog from Hungary who is in reality, from mainly Italian lines for many generations back if you look at the pedigree. so you might look at the kennel name and say oh that is an eastern european dog, but it's not. I don't think you can find many fully health tested pedigrees in any of Europe.
Excellent advice. I did notice, looking at some of the pedigrees, that an Altobello sire was used for some of his dogs.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have not looked into their dogs for years.......but i do remember being impressed by something about them.........

i remember a judge talking about judging their dogs and being impressed by their temperment as well as the 'type'.
I know breeders will sometimes change their practices over the years, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad, but what you say is encouraging :)

Still, I think Foxfire is calling me :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmmm where to start.

Well, first off, if you can read/write Russian than there is a Russian speaking forum to which Eugenyi Rozenberg is an active participant. Rozenberg, of course, is the well known breeder/judge beind Zoosfery. He is very well respected internationally as a true expert. On a personal note, I respect his ability and willingness to recognize many of the excellent physical qualities possessed by American bred Dobes.

For political reasons he will not exhibit his dogs in IDC events. There’s also internal Russian drama that I won’t get into.

Many of his breeding bitches are owned/live with other people. For example, the lovely Vivian iz Zoosfery was bred/whelped at Michael Vernyy's home. I don't think Michael will export dogs to any country that has a quarantine following a bad experience exporting a puppy to England about a decade ago. I was going to buy this puppy but ended up passing. He went on to finish his Championship and sired a number of Champion offspring. His name was Korifey.

Health testing is what it is. You’re not going to get the same level of testing in eastern Europe and Russia as you would in the west for financial reasons, and also availability. The fact is that a lot of the equipment and diagnostics that we take for granted here in N.A. just isn’t readily available (or affordably available) there. If you ever have specific questions about specific pedigrees you should post your questions here.

I must say, when I think SAR prospect I don't think Zoosfery (and I don't think Foxfire either). Not that either breeder hasn't or doesn't produce dogs that are not capable of that kind of work, just that there are better options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts