Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucy stayed behind with her handler after this past weekend's show and will be with her until probably next Tuesday, when I can pick her up after shows in AZ. It's very rare we send her off - she's only gone with her handler maybe 3 or 4 times, and always for just a short period.

Needless to say it is VERY quiet around here without her! Lucy is a rather loud, boisterous girl and I work from home. I can't complain about not having to worry she will start barking during a conference call! LOL. But it feels so strange to not have her at home. I don't think I could ever send her away for long periods, like some of the specials do.

I just got an update and she is having a blast at her handler's house, playing like a maniac and making sure the boy dogs know who is in charge. LOL. She is very social, so I am sure she's in heaven having other dogs to play with. Lucy loves her handler too and I know she is in good hands.

I've had a Doberman in the house for about 12 consecutive years now. Not having her home also makes me realize how reassuring it is when she is here.

It sure will be nice to have her back home next week!!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hopefully she will win at her next set of shows and make all this worth it! I know how you feel. I only sent mine off one time for a 3 day weekend & was miserable without my boy.

Good luck LUCY!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know what you mean. We left Stella with our breeder/handler for 10 days to work on show skills while we were out of town, and it was like leaving the kids! I'm actually pretty sure I checked on her more often than checking in at home lol. I had thought the break would be kind of nice (she's 6 months old and pretty wild) but the whole time she was gone I missed her like crazy! Good luck in AZ!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
It's hard leaving them. I do dog boarding and it's so much easier taking them vs leaving them :) They always end up having a great time without me.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the support and reassurance. I know we all love our furkids so much and it's helpful to be able to share with others who can relate! :)

Hopefully she will win at her next set of shows and make all this worth it! I know how you feel. I only sent mine off one time for a 3 day weekend & was miserable without my boy.

Good luck LUCY!!
Lucy's time away in past has been like that too - just long weekends, So this is much different. Glad it's not something I do often! Thank you so much for the good luck wishes too!!

Whiskey had to stay overnight at a vet for monitoring when he ate some rocks once and the whole evening it felt like something was missing. I don't know what I'd do for a week. (((hugs)))
Oh gosh, I hope your boy is OK! Having your pup at the vet overnight would be horrible! I'm thankful that at least in this case I know Lucy is whooping it up. :)

I know what you mean. We left Stella with our breeder/handler for 10 days to work on show skills while we were out of town, and it was like leaving the kids! I'm actually pretty sure I checked on her more often than checking in at home lol. I had thought the break would be kind of nice (she's 6 months old and pretty wild) but the whole time she was gone I missed her like crazy! Good luck in AZ!
It is like leaving the kids, isn't it?! I don't have kids myself, but my close friends laugh at me because I sound just like them when their kids are away at camp. Like your girl, mine is pretty crazy & wild too, so I have to admit there is a small part that it's nice to have quiet work time. If she was spayed, she would be off to doggie day care a few times / week for sure so I could have a short break! LOL. But I don't like it when she is gone away like this.

It's hard leaving them. I do dog boarding and it's so much easier taking them vs leaving them :) They always end up having a great time without me.
It's definitely hard leaving them. Her handler was in another class when we left the show site Sunday afternoon, so I had to leave her in a crate alone so we could hit the road. I felt so badly saying good bye, but just had to walk away like no big deal. I know she will be happy to come home, but according to Sara she is having an absolute hey day thus far and partying down with the other dogs! At least I know she is having a good time. :) And in the meantime, hubby says we better take advantage of a "kid-less" house and get out to dinner at least a few times!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL,when Connor went up to stay with Michelle for a breeding and while we were in Ireland last spring, Michelle kept emailing pictures of him having fun with captions like:" Connor NOT missing his Mom."

It's always harder on us than it is on them. :)
Isn't that the truth?! :) Well, and if Connor went up for a breeding, then he had some extra special fun! LOL

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver goes to daycare a couple of times a week. He goes for 4 hours and loves it. I take him at 8 and pick him up at 12. I start getting antsy about 11. The house is so quiet without him. When I arrive at daycare to pick him up, they annouce over the PA that Oliver is going home and he knows I'm there. Sometimes I have the urge to pick him up at 10, it just kills me.

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
Elke is a master at driving me crazy sometimes, but when she's not here, I miss her and worry about her. When I went to visit my mom and had to board her, I kept looking at my mom's yard and thinking how much fun Elke would have running around chasing the bunnies and the quail. I picked her up as soon as I could when I got home!

Lucy is your family. At least you know she is having fun where she is, rather than being miserable. Try to enjoy and go out for a date with your hubby!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts