Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Friday night was going good, Nash and Da'Kari were playing their usual game of tug and napping. Around 10 pm Nash threw up a sock. I am very careful to watch both of them but somehow he managed to get one of my teenage son's socks. I examined the sock really good to make sure the whole sock was there and it was intact so I didn't concern myself too much because Nash seemed ok. He had eaten good that day, though he did throw up some of his dinner that evening, it made sense after I got the sock.

Saturday he didn't feel good at all and didn't want breakfast but drank water but later in the day he started throwing up. He went out to potty and the first bowel movement was fine (normal) then it started getting mucousy and bloody so we called the vet. Took him in, they did an x-ray and he had apparently eaten something else so they had to go in. They found the other sock. :sadcry:

They are concerned because he threw up once during surgery and once after, concerned about aspiration pnemonia. The one good thing they did was tack his stomach while they were in.

I feel so bad for my baby, he is so sick. The vet suggested I get pet insurance, she said because "he would end up doing it again".

·
Registered
694 Posts
oooh, I am so sorry....that is horrible...poor poor Nash....I just don't get why dogs want to eat socks...I hope he is feeling better....I am on my teenagers all the time about picking up their stuff off the floor.....just because of that reason.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
What is it with these dogs and socks and underwear,sometimes they are the most intelligent of breeds then in a flash the dumbest,i despair.Hope Nasher is feeling better soon,keep your chin up and put this one down to experience!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
So sorry to hear about Nash. :emo11:
Keeping cloths off the floor in our house seems to be near impossible. I'll need to get my teenage son to read your post when he gets home from hockey. Maybe I can get him to learn something from your experience.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Poor Nash, hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
OOOH, poor Nash & you too. Sometimes worrying is harder than recovering. I will be sending good thoughts & prayers your way for him to get well soon.

·
Registered
986 Posts
DaKari, I'm missing a shirt and one shoe...could you have your veterinarian check to see if they're in there, too? Poor Hoover...er...I mean Nash. Sure hope he feels better soon. It would definitely take me a few days to recoup from sock surgery + tummy tacking. Somebody's in for some special treeeaaats!!!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Oh dear sorry to hear that Dakari, I had been through that surgery twice with Gadget. The first one was New Years eve!! and then 6 mos later. I would look into insurance well. I was super super careful with him and he still managed to find things to eat!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear. That is one of my biggest concerns with Princi as well. She is notorious for eating them and she is so slick about it I am like when did you eat that!! Thankfully she lets the socks out from either end and hasn't had any problems.

Wish you all the best.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, LOL Sooz, I doubt your shirt and shoe have been sucked in by Hoover since he only seems to like socks.

I sure hope this doesn't happen again but I know that no matter how much I watch them they do things so quickly that it is possible. It is scary. I am thankful I realized in time and got him to the emergency clinic. Stuff always seems to happen in the middle of the night or weekend LOL.

MrDesi it only takes one time for that sock not going through right and you will be in my spot, I hope that never happens to you, it isn't fun and it is costly.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm really glad Nash is okay. Great on your part for not waiting and getting Nash to the vet. A friend of mines dog ate part of a ball, it was festering in the dogs stomach for some time (according to the UNC Vet Hospital)before the dog showed any outward signs. Cost in excess of $5,000 dollars just for the surgery and alot of pain for the poor dog. Glad to say the dog is fine now.

A few months back, I came home from shopping and placed a bag with hygiene products on top of a cabinet in the bathroom, while I put away the items that needed refrigeration. To make a long story short - Coda got into the bag and opened a box of tampons - eating three of them. Thank goodness it was a new box or else I would have never known if she ate some or not. I called several friends who told me not to worry - of course I still did. BIB called our vet and the vet told us to give the dog hydrogen peroxide (spelling?). I was to chicken to do this as I thought that they would get lodged in her throat comming back up - so off we (BIB, Rommel, me and Coda) went to the vet. They gave her hydrogen peroxide and up came the tampons. Needless to say I keep hydrogen peroxide in the house. Not trying to give anyone medical advice - just stating a fact that dogs will eat about anything in a matter of seconds. Coda is now crated when I am not able to keep both eyes on her.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It is amazing how fast these guys can gulp down anything that they put their mind to. They are like little black holes. And saying, "No", makes my guy glup even faster. So, I usually just say stop (amazingly, stop works--don't know why) or, if I am close enough or quick enough, snatch it from him. He does not like clothing, but loves stuffing out of his toys (his babies) and rabbit and deer treats--yuck (at least he grew out of the horse manure treat phase.)

Obstruction is sooo :eek11: scary to me. It was great that you were home and engaged enough to realize what was going on with your boy. So glad he is doing better.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Nash's emergency surgery but so glad he's on the mend. Have bought deep hampers w/ lids and read riot act to my guys. Java has knee-hi radar and can find one at 50 paces, I swear. Laundry room is just off mud room and if the door is open, she'll sneak in and try and snatch a sock/knee-hi treasure from an open hamper. Java also knows that I am fearless about going in after it, have no qualms about opening her mouth and flicking anything out from the back of her throat if I think she's been in stinker mode, and she tends to relax that jaw when she knows I mean business. Have to keep reminding self that I have to baby-proof all over again!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awwww im so sorry...yeah those socks are a pain...Duchess use to and still runs away with socks...when she was younger we would get them from her...but now she really just likes to hold them in her in the very tip of her mouth....same with underwear...she doesnt chew on them at all...but if she does she just pokes at them with her nose...or small painless bites.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Good thing you saw which one threw it up, or even that it was thrown up so you knew who to take to the Vet. Nash probably thought he was clever eating BOTH so you don't know one's missing and blame him.

I have to be especially careful with Mensa and socks. Not only does she eat anything, but I like the gray wool socks. Mensa walked up to me one day carrying a sock like she was trying to say "Hey, these are made out of sheep hair".

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Sorry to hear of Nash's surgery. Happy to hear that he is recouping and I hope it painless and quick.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nash isn't doing too good. He is in critical condition. I have been calling throughout the day to see how he is doing and the last call was around 4 pm. He has asperated pnemonia, his lungs are popping and crackling and they can't get his fever down. I am afraid I may lose him.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts