Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old has had itcy skin since he was a puppy. I've eliminated fleas and food. Lately I've tried fish oil (4 caps a day) but that isn't working either. I'm not inclined to go thru the expensive vet allergy routine. Has anyone found anything that works?

·
Super Moderator
21,138 Posts
Have you consulted a dermatologist? Not to necessarily do allergy testing, but to have an expert on board?

There are several options for simply treating allergies without necessarily "testing" for them. For example, my Sypha is on Apoquel. She was licking enough that it was clear she was "itchy". We decided to go with Apoquel to see if it would make a difference, and she no longer licks excessively.

·
Got mutt?
13,605 Posts
My Leo has been on Apouel for the last three years, as well. I've not done any testing, but the vet and I are assuming that she has environmental allergies.

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
My 4 year old has had itcy skin since he was a puppy. I've eliminated fleas and food. Lately I've tried fish oil (4 caps a day) but that isn't working either. I'm not inclined to go thru the expensive vet allergy routine. Has anyone found anything that works?
What has your regular vet informed you to do?
Any skin scraping by vet just to rule out the easy things that might be causing this condition?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try the Apoque since the fish oil capsules aren't doing a thing. If that doesn't work I'll try the vet when shots come due.

·
Premium Member
8,325 Posts
I highly recommend a Vet Dermatologist they see skin conditions on a daily basis and in the long run you will save money vs going to a regular vet. They can do a quick skin scrapping and have results immediately. My last girl did well on Apouel however she also was given by me a weekly allergy shot. She had environmental allergies. My current girl can not take Apouel and when she has a flair up on her paws with constant licking she gets a Cytopoint shot.

·
Got mutt?
13,605 Posts
Thanks, I'll try the Apoque since the fish oil capsules aren't doing a thing. If that doesn't work I'll try the vet when shots come due.
Apoquel is a prescription drug. You will need to either get it from your vet or have them write a prescription for you to buy if from a pharmacy. And it's not exactly cheap, either. Through the online pharmacy my vet uses, it's about $75 for a 30 count bottle of 16 mg pills, a bit less if they are running a special discount code. It's worth it to not have her constantly chewing, licking, scratching, and being thoroughly miserable though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts